Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.  (Read 40598 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2010, 12:36:17 pm »

I discovered Dwarf Fortress by reading boatmurdered.  Been playing ever since then.  If I ever had to introduce someone to DF I would have them read boatmurdered, its just that awesome.

And I agree somewhat with the graphics issue. Many games hide their suckishness behind their wonderful graphics...

DF's awesomeness is trapped behind a 10 meter high solid concrete wall with barbed wire and 24/7 sniper protection that is its UI.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2010, 05:47:04 am »

The only thing I know is my wife and I played MUDs, we played HACK and Moria, she still plays Angband.

I've moved on (well, I'm here now not angband.oook.cz). She still plays Angband. But wishes she could take the cats out of nethack or DF into Angband.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2010, 11:47:34 am »

Electronic Arts sucks.  They sucked in 1985, and 24 years later they still suck.
They did have a moment of non suckage in 1999.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work on a multi-core CPU. Or it hates Vista. One or the other. Which sucks. Those midwives were downright creepy.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2010, 12:13:09 pm »

I always explain dwarf fortress to people by calling it "Sim Mines of Moria." Any longer explanation loses them anyway.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:25 pm »

I go for something along the lines of if Pratchett, Tolkien, and Lovecraft made a game together that is like a mix of "Angband" and "Black and White". If they don't understand that of course I just give them a link to Boatmurder.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]