Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.  (Read 40603 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2009, 04:21:31 pm »

Electronic Arts sucks.

I'm five pages late for this, but here goes..

HOW DARE YOU!

Electronic Arts used to be gods wielding the inscrutable powers of 64 bit gaming. The Sega Megadrive games they created are the very foundation upon which my childhood rests. They are like the father I always wanted (my dad's not bad but he's no M.U.L.E. :D). Populous, Archon, Bard's Tale, the list of precious goods they have produced goes on and on. Only when they shifted corporate image and became EA games did they start to suck.

Rant over.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2009, 06:42:33 pm »

Electronic Arts sucks.

HOW DARE YOU!

Electronic Arts used to be gods wielding the inscrutable powers of 64 bit gaming. The Sega Megadrive games they created are the very foundation upon which my childhood rests. They are like the father I always wanted (my dad's not bad but he's no M.U.L.E. :D). Populous, Archon, Bard's Tale, the list of precious goods they have produced goes on and on. Only when they shifted corporate image and became EA games did they start to suck.

Rant over.
Key word: used to. :)
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2009, 02:00:01 am »

Yeah they used to be good.
Now theyre just bastards who buy out other companys and make crappy remakes of the games they sell... serriously whats the diffence between any of their sports games, especially ones like maddan 2008 and maddan 2009.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2009, 06:08:25 am »

serriously whats the diffence between any of their sports games, especially ones like maddan 2008 and maddan 2009.

The clue is in what you wrote, clearly they have changed a number.

I find telling people they probably wouldn't like it because the it's not easy to play and there are much in the way of graphics works very well. People like to prove they aren't shallow and once they actually get into it they end up liking it.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2009, 10:01:08 am »

Despite the best efforts of the "EA sucks" bandwagon, I don't find EA to be that bad. I reached this verdict mostly based on the fact that they gave me Mirror's Edge.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2009, 10:11:50 am »

Despite the best efforts of the "EA sucks" bandwagon, I don't find EA to be that bad. I reached this verdict mostly based on the fact that they gave me Mirror's Edge.

I wasn't a big fan of mirror's edge, I didn't feel the smoothness of moving around the world to be as cleanly done as other games, for example the prince of persia ones. Considering that was the main point of the game I count that against it pretty harshly.

Of course it's not a bad game either I'm just not a fan of it :)

Most games are terrible. EA release of a lot of games, most games EA release are terrible. I'm not sure they are worse than the average publisher though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2009, 12:27:16 pm »

I wont claim to be knowing a lot about EAs games, but what I can say that EA isnt a company that tries to put much effort in its games beyond the point where it would generate the most profit.

Like nearly all companies do. Its just work for them after all.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2009, 04:23:04 pm »

Come to think of it, I've heard DF compared to the Matrix; an absurdly detailed virtual world, but to the untrained eye it just looks like a bunch of random symbols.

Isn't it actually the inverse?

To the untrained eye, the Matrix is an absurdly detailed virtual world, but to the Chosen One it just looks like a bunch of random symbols.
I think he's referring to the operator's monitors in the Zionese ships. It's just a bunch of numbers running down on a screen but all of the ship's crew seem to be able to see Morpheus and Neo fighting it out with kung-fu on a dojo. It actually is pretty comparable to DF; players can see epic sieges with body parts and insane amounts of blood flying around, while an outsider would just see a couple of g's moving towards smiley faces and then bumping off and turning red.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:25:40 pm by Azgog »
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"We have plenty of lumber"
".... BUT I WANT THIS KIND!"
"What kind?"
"THE KIND WHERE YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!"

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2009, 09:36:21 am »

EA aren't any better or worse than anyone else is.

Anyway, when it comes to DF I mainly just get people to read Boatmurdered. Explaining what it actually is is a challenge. But right now I have an easy way to emphasize the brilliance, if not the genre or gameplay - when I go into a game store today and look on the shelves, all I can think is how I wish the next version of DF was out and how superior it will be to almost anything that I could buy.
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2009, 08:35:10 pm »

This thread has taught me a lot about how to bring players into the fold. I think I'm probably going to use most of the points here, but each to their own target. The matrix example would probably work on people who do a lot of high-graphics games, it would get them in gear to use their imagination.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

dAGNARUS

• Bay Watcher
  • Eventually, every fortress ends in magma floods.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2009, 12:32:19 pm »

I got my 4 graphic whore fratboy friends to play DF, with a tileset though, but oh well, so do I.
At first when I tried explaining it they were sceptic (I mean, come on, , but after 2 weeks they were talking about thermonuclear catsplosions, so I guess they aren't graphic whores after all.
Dwarf Fortress: Where it is perfectly acceptable to make your civilization a living hell, for no reason.

lurker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2009, 06:30:40 pm »

HOW DARE YOU!

Rant over.

The thing is, EA didn't write most of those games, they published them - Populous was Bullfrog, Bard's tale was Infrogames, etc. etc.  You can easily identify 'EA developed' games because they are, almost without exception, unremittingly lacking in character, dire and dull, e.g. the [SPORTNAME] [YEAR] formula. EA is a monolithic soulless corporate brothel, and I say that having a number of friends who have worked for them (I think one still does).  They are good at what they do, which is buying in existing talent and distributing it effectively, but creative they are not.

On topic, I would have to refer to nethack/rogue, little computer people (the sims on 8-bits before the sims, did I mention that EA never invented anything new?), tolkien (not so much because of the setting, more because of the sheer scope of ambition - think The Silmarillion not the Lord of the Rings), and lovecraft (because of the insanity).

But really, DF is unlike anything else, and boatmurdered is probably the best introduction out there.

P.S Hi (long time lurker, first time poster).  Sorry for the mild necropost.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:34:20 pm by lurker »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2009, 06:46:02 pm »

Not to mention that after EA bought out those little companies, the most creative people bailed out and formed their own new little creative companies.  Bullfrog's went to Muckyfoot, for example.

It was the techi-ness of DF that appealed to me at first.  It was a real, live, engineering simulation, taking place on real, live simulated geology!  :D  It took me almost year to realize that there was essentially a story-generator included, but to be fair I wasn't playing it for most of that year. 

I think probably what makes it so appealing to so many people is that you can play it for whatever rewards you want.  If vanilla doesn't support your style very well, then someone's mod will, and if no one's mod does then you can write your own mod without having to buy a fancy art program or a special compiler.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2009, 08:54:09 pm »

The closest thing to DF I can think of is probably something even less people have heard of, and that is a German game by the name of clonk.
http://www.clonk.de/
older versions are free
The mining and materiel management are very akin to each other.

The problem is I can't say its like clonk because noone has heard of that either.

um yea, also when someone says "GamerChick" a red flag goes off in my head just like a "Gamer Guy" in my mind is someone who sits around getting angry about halo, I know I am probably being over judgmental but for some reason I am just weary of that term
Thank you based dwarf.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2009, 09:41:14 pm »

Bard's tale was Infrogames

You mean Interplay.  Infogrames bought what was left of Atari and donned their name.

EA is for the most part merely a publisher, and they know talent when they see it.  Anyway, they've reportedly changed their tune since 2007, split into independent operating companies, and pledged to let their studios work more autonomously.  Then again they also put up Maxis as a flagship studio, which I've always seen as a company with a good idea a decade (they milked SimCity to death, they're doing it with the Sims, and Spore was an overhyped dud).  They also bashed together Bioware and Mythic, though at least they made the right decision of giving Mythic to Bioware instead of the other way around.

A distant acquaintance of mine worked for Ubisoft, who said it was great up til the day they fired you and the rest of the studio once a project was complete.  The game industry overall is just not the most stable place to work.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9