Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.  (Read 40242 times)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2009, 09:50:16 pm »

spore could have been great if they did follow the idea of will wrights spore instead...
hell it would have been great...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2009, 07:54:43 am »

spore could have been great if they did follow the idea of will wrights spore instead...
hell it would have been great...
Spore would have been great if they hadn't released a half-finished product.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2009, 03:45:54 pm »

DF is the original Sims potential mixed in with Black and White 2's gameplay and Warcraft III's moddability. It's what Spore should have been, only with 1/10,000 of the budget and 10,000x the visionary design.

It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2009, 04:20:45 pm »

DF is the original Sims potential mixed in with Black and White 2's gameplay and Warcraft III's moddability. It's what Spore should have been, only with 1/10,000 of the budget and 10,000x the visionary design.

It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2009, 05:08:53 pm »

Toady One has created Dwarf Fortress, a freeware computer game!
Toady One has become more experienced!

Fix'd

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2009, 06:45:01 pm »

Toady One has created Dwarf Fortress, a freeware computer game!
Toady One has become more experienced!

Fix'd
This is Dwarf Fortress, a coded computer game. It menaces with spikes of awesome. The engraving reads 'Losing is Fun!'

Anyways, my approach usually is to say something along the lines of
"See that? That's a dwarf. You can tell him to dig, not dig, trade, throw a goblin in magma, move furniture, kill a dragon, that kind of stuff. Half the time they do it. Half the time they go get drunk instead."
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2009, 11:36:17 pm »

And sometimes your 5 years sword experience champion goes berserk and kills your whole fortress.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2009, 05:10:33 am »

and then the gnomes... oh dear armok THE GNOMES.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2009, 11:40:45 am »

Electronic Arts sucks.  They sucked in 1985, and 24 years later they still suck.

They didn't suck in 1988.

Also they're not as bad, they actually sold the rights to a few games back to Brian Fargo.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2009, 12:34:55 pm »

Electronic Arts sucks.  They sucked in 1985, and 24 years later they still suck.

They didn't suck in 1988.

Interplay wrote that game.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2009, 07:48:42 pm »

... It's actually quite a bit like the sims in some ways.... but with more customization in several aspects, and more emphasis on management.

For me it's very much a LEGO substitute.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2010, 07:39:59 am »

I like DF not because it allows me to build things but how it goes about doing it.

In some roman city-building sim you may be able to build the "aqueduct" building and if you build enough between the river and your city, you get "water supply enabled". Check.

In DF there is no aqeduct building. If you build windmill-powered pump works attached to an overland channel on high pillars or dig a subterranean channel to the river, you invented the aqueduct.
Or a subterranean version of the Niagara falls. Or a fortress literally cast from magma. Or a computer powered by... cats.

But how do you describe the ability to engineer for real?
Design and build dams, power plants, plumbing, and traps that would never make it past the geneva convention?

I know for a fact that a lot of people are just not compatible with that way of thinking. On a recent trade show some company was handing out small metal boxes with sweets or whatever.
They had an obvious lid but no handle or device for removing it. There were a lot of people simply... staring at theirs. And that was not an effective way of opening them.
So looked at it. No handle. Round. No obvious way to apply pull or torque.
Remaining option: pressure. Press on lid.
Box opens.

DF is totally compatible with the engineer way of thinking. You use simple elements like gears or pumps to direct force, flow, or pressure.
The results can be amazing, terrifying, or worst case... fun.

To me, DF is what LEGOs will be when they grow up.
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Steveninn

• Bay Watcher
  • What ya' lookin at there buddy?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2010, 11:05:18 am »

I think of it as what would happen if The Sims and Lemmings had a baby, which was then adopted by the Balrog.

Sigged!
I think of it as what would happen if The Sims and Lemmings had a baby, which was then adopted by the Balrog.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2010, 01:24:19 pm »

I like DF not because it allows me to build things but how it goes about doing it.

In some roman city-building sim you may be able to build the "aqueduct" building and if you build enough between the river and your city, you get "water supply enabled". Check.

In DF there is no aqeduct building. If you build windmill-powered pump works attached to an overland channel on high pillars or dig a subterranean channel to the river, you invented the aqueduct.
Or a subterranean version of the Niagara falls. Or a fortress literally cast from magma. Or a computer powered by... cats.

But how do you describe the ability to engineer for real?
Design and build dams, power plants, plumbing, and traps that would never make it past the geneva convention?

I know for a fact that a lot of people are just not compatible with that way of thinking. On a recent trade show some company was handing out small metal boxes with sweets or whatever.
They had an obvious lid but no handle or device for removing it. There were a lot of people simply... staring at theirs. And that was not an effective way of opening them.
So looked at it. No handle. Round. No obvious way to apply pull or torque.
Remaining option: pressure. Press on lid.
Box opens.

DF is totally compatible with the engineer way of thinking. You use simple elements like gears or pumps to direct force, flow, or pressure.
The results can be amazing, terrifying, or worst case... fun.

To me, DF is what LEGOs will be when they grow up.
I know the trade show you're talking about, my stepdad was at one just like that sometime in the past year or so.
Little metal container of mints. He kept the container because he thought it was cool.

He actually ripped a finger nail off by trying to pry open the sides.  :D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »

siggy'd
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9