Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.  (Read 40232 times)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"So it's like The Sims?" she asked.
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:33:06 pm »

"If it's like The Sims, it's like The Sims gone blind, on fire, arguing with itself like an angry drunk, strung out on drugstore speed, fresh from the Stanford Prison Experiment, and wildly gesticulating with a revolver which may or may not be partially loaded." I replied.

I didn't want to mention the butchery, but only because I felt she'd dwell on it overmuch.  I only had a few more minutes to speak with her and I wanted to work in a compliment on -- and show of interest in -- her morbid earrings.  They appeared to be made from or in imitation of a child's finger bones.

The moral of the story is that Dwarf Fortress should not come up during speed dating, there just isn't time.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:03:25 am »

ive explained DF as a combination of the Sims and Warcraft 3.

Of course, much more dwarvenly

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:10:35 am »

I'm still wondering HOW it came up, exactly.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:24:19 am »

Well obviously he is employed by toady one to go around speed dating places and advertise dwarf fortress.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:58:06 am »

Well obviously he is employed by toady one to go around speed dating places and advertise dwarf fortress.
I've just found a new hobby.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:35:34 am »

I wonder if that's an advertising method that will pay itself in in time...
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 08:49:41 am »

I've described it as a combination of Majesty and Sim City with the warfare expansion pack..
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 09:04:50 am »

It's like your standard RTS, except really detailed. Like, every individual soldier has feelings, and hopes, and dreams.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 09:08:27 am »

I think of it as what would happen if The Sims and Lemmings had a baby, which was then adopted by the Balrog.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 10:28:46 am »

I've once described it as combining the sims with the total war series for the soldiers, and then adding in simcity or the settlers for good measure. Add a sprinkling of warcraft or lord of the rings and then apply generous amounts of magma.

The magma is enough to get people asking more information, I even got one of my school teachers playing.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:29:26 am »

I even got one of my school teachers playing.
You are a god.

Summoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 12:02:08 pm »

I once got my teacher to play DF and Hl2. Funny thing was the teacher didn't like the df much.
Ahhh A Bunny Carp! Run

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 01:14:58 pm »

It's like your standard RTS, except really detailed. Like, every individual soldier has feelings, and hopes, and dreams.
To crush into the ground for minor amusement.

It's when you crush all the soldiers' hopes and dreams that it gets really amusing.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 02:15:02 pm »

It's not the slightest bit like The Sims.  The Sims was a slapstick comedy featuring pre-adolescent humor.  DF can feature that if the player desires, but no one is prevented from playing the game their own way.  Tarn Adams left the interface open so that we could do that.

Electronic Arts sucks.  They sucked in 1985, and 24 years later they still suck.  If Dwarf Fortress was published by Electronic Arts, we would all be subject to lawsuits for making mods and utilities, the rights to which they would have reserved for their own profit.

DF reminds me a lot of the BASIC simulations with which I experimented back in the days before everything became graphical.  The little entities, represented by letters, lived on an 80x24 ASCII screen.  At the lowest level of simulation, they moved randomly in straight lines that bounced off the walls and off each other.  Then there arose an "A" entity and a "B" entity, and they interacted as either friends or foes depending on their programming.

Add much more sophisticated rules, replace the random motion with goal-oriented pathfinding, and give the user the ability to change the playing field, and you have DF.  :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 02:24:30 pm »

I'm still wondering HOW it came up, exactly.
She declared herself to be a gamer chick in the "something about yourself" portion of the introductions.  I figured anyone could talk to a girl about the video games she already played, or the games everyone is playing.  So I figured I'd recommend one I didn't think she'd have heard of and be all the more memorable.

Trying to explain it didn't go very well, but she caught some of the gist of it.  It is like The Sims in some ways, after all.  In the ways it is like The Sims it is much more like Dungeon Keeper.  But she hadn't played that game.

Dwarf Fortress isn't a Real Time Strategy Game.  It's a Real Time Logistics game and I think it might be the only one.  There are other logistics games out there, of course, like the Civ or Total War series.  Total War does, of course, have segments of game play in real time, but those aren't the segments that are logistical play.

Maybe the rest of the Theme Park-esque genre (including Dungeon Keeper) are RTL games.  I'm not sure about that, though.

By the way, I didn't get a 'connect' w/ the gamer chick.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9