Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.  (Read 40233 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "So it's like The Sims?" she asked.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 04:24:38 pm »

When somone ask me what kind f game is dwarf i simly ask them, you know the game stronghold? if they answer yes, i reply, its only deeper in all term, because your fort and most of your stuff will be inderground unless you choose to make it over, and i also tell them there is more micromanagement, and you can actually LOVE one of your own dwarf when they do something awesome like driving out a whole siege by themself
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 04:44:32 pm »

Since describing what DF is and how it works seems to bore people, I usually start to describe it by suggesting that you can force invading forces into a chamber you flood with magma. Usually that's enough to sew interest, if the person would DF at all.

Also, raeg at modern idea of gaming. Plays sims ≠ gamer.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

herpderp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 05:51:21 pm »

DF is where you have an huge bucket of legos and a huge terrain piece to build on, and the lego people are alive and they do the building themselves, you just have to tell them what to do.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 06:15:52 pm »

Dwarf Fortress has dwarves building a fort. And they're all alcoholic. Including the babies. That usually works.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 06:21:07 pm »

I quite like the stronghold analogy actually, works quite well, just deeper and adds new concepts and edit content.

In a strange way this makes me think of how when the game is sort of 'perfect' we will miss all the amusing 'faults' such as obbsessive sock collecting and useless soap. (sort of)

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 07:40:25 pm »

It's more like JRR Tolkien meets Quentin Tarantino.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 08:40:48 pm »

Well obviously he is employed by toady one to go around speed dating places and advertise dwarf fortress.
I've just found a new hobby.
Oh that should be fun...

DF is where you have an huge bucket of legos and a huge terrain piece to build on, and the lego people are alive and they do the building themselves, you just have to tell them what to do.
I think the man has hit it. I dont really think theres a good certain way to describe it. I think this is the best way. Youve got a lego world, with hundreds of little lego men doing your bidding, but you arent allowed to touch them. Just tell them what needs to be done.

Its like playing god with sentient legos.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 09:04:14 pm »

Its like playing god with sentient legos.
And magma. What kind of dwarf forgets the magma?

Apolloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 10:33:26 pm »

It's not the slightest bit like The Sims.  The Sims was a slapstick comedy featuring pre-adolescent humor.  DF can feature that if the player desires, but no one is prevented from playing the game their own way.  Tarn Adams left the interface open so that we could do that.

Electronic Arts sucks.  They sucked in 1985, and 24 years later they still suck.  If Dwarf Fortress was published by Electronic Arts, we would all be subject to lawsuits for making mods and utilities, the rights to which they would have reserved for their own profit.

DF reminds me a lot of the BASIC simulations with which I experimented back in the days before everything became graphical.  The little entities, represented by letters, lived on an 80x24 ASCII screen.  At the lowest level of simulation, they moved randomly in straight lines that bounced off the walls and off each other.  Then there arose an "A" entity and a "B" entity, and they interacted as either friends or foes depending on their programming.

Add much more sophisticated rules, replace the random motion with goal-oriented pathfinding, and give the user the ability to change the playing field, and you have DF.  :)

*hands slink a soapbox and walks off whistling*

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 12:31:02 am »

High fantasy Sim City with on a micro scale.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 01:02:01 am »

No to everyone who says Sim City, I say Sim Town.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40:14 am »

No to everyone who says Sim City, I say Sim Town.

... is it good?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

balath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 08:13:52 am »

Whoa.  Mind.  Blown.
What would you do if seven small, beared men marched into your home and started to dig out a city in your basement?

yatima2975

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 09:20:01 am »

DF is a weaponized airline booking system from the 1980's. And it's Turing-complete.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 12:20:46 pm »

I quote the tvtropes article on Dwarf Fortress.

The main game is Fortress mode, which plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9