Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: The Flying Machine (Move zig!)  (Read 12983 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
The Flying Machine (Move zig!)
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:03:02 am »

Welcome! Welcome you, brave dwarves! You are our pioneers, our new-age explorers, our
champions!

Each of you has had a long journey from your fortresses, far and wide! To compete, in the first Dwarven Flying Race! Each of you, captains of your team, shall in the next morning embark from Oceanplanks, in flight upon your great machines, for the capitol of Heldbridge, far to the north!

MAP
Sorry it cropped all retarded, and set the tiles off. At least you can see it.

The objective of this game is to fly from Oceanplanks in the south, to Heldbridge in the north, before anyone. The tiles will be to normal DF scale, and you may use any obscure symbol you wish. The lore is like DF, but it could be 'modded' in ways you don't expect. It's got some space-by-space movement, and some roleplaying elements that each player will face. It's not supposed to be complex, but I suck at explaining things, so the below is broken up into sections: (with a tl:dr version below)

Spoiler: rules (click to show/hide)

Short version of rules: You draw your ship in ASCII, and it has an amount of force propelling it and lifting it vs. weight, as well as cargo and weapons. You move on a DF region map, and fight in 'real distance' much like DF adventure mode. Unless you design your ship with a huge cargo, you'll have to land often. Don't lose too much altitude. The effects of weapons and a lot of things is determined by me... some I have hidden numbers for, some I will make up. Be creative, everything that exists in DF is here and so is mostly everything you can BS up.

TO ENTER: I will need the following
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LIST OF ENTRANTS (only listed once I've figured out all their stats, and they're good to go)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:16:59 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The Flying Machine (Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 05:25:56 am »

%  %  %
  _|B |B |B
 /OOO[][][]=D
<OOOF---X \

Distance between lins ruins it.

Legend:
< - Ram spike
/ - Sloped front armor
O - Cargo hold
[] - Living quarters
F - Crankshaft room
---X - Axle with prop
\ - Retractable Rear Landing Gear
=D - Rudder
B - Restrained Giant Bat (hungry).
% - Net With Giant Bat Food.
| - Pole On Which The Net With Giant Bat Food Hangs. :P

This basically applies the donkey/carrot trick with bats and in the upward direction. I'm not sure if the design is workable, and I don't know if I'll participate yet.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:57:14 am »

^^^^^^|
    |      | + +
  / |M|M|M|--E E|
/LLLLLL|CCCCCCCC|--->
\++++EEECCCCCBBB|

E = elf slave (They get to choose between using them or burning wood/coal.)
M = Magma (the heat gives it height.. Magma will cool off after a while at which time it will be jettisoned and replaced by more elf slaves and proppellas (after a quick stop at an elven retreat)
L = Living quarters
C = Cargo hold
^ = Balloon.
B = Backup booze rockets(just in case)
the ---> bit is a rudder.
Meh.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 08:14:47 am »

Side View

__           _
   /___           |
  _____\          |
    ||           _ => Propellor. Think/google "Da Vinci Helicopter".
  /]**====<              Water (W) is heated with magma (M) in chamber (X).
 |OOA°HHH|<              Steam goes up via backside (|), left via pipes (=),
 |OOOWWWX|<              where it powers the steam wheel (**). Excess steam
  -.WWM.-                goes back via other pipes (=) to thrusters (<).
 [  ¨¨¨  ]   

Crew sleeps in Barracks (H) and food is stored in (O).

The cockpit ( /] ) contains al necessary levers, eg. cutting of steam to the left side thrusters will let the ship turn left, closing both side pipes will, well, explode the ship unless water supply is shut of first.

Landing gear ([ ]) is retractable via side engines, requiring very little steam.

Magma can, in case of emergency, be dropped via the emergency grates (¨). This wil give the ship a quick lift as the weight lessens, however this is a temporary solution. If the engine cools down, the propellor will become less powerfull, thus  negating the advantage of having less magma. Water supply can also be dropped, if a large part of it is dropped this will mostly give the ship enough emergency lift untill the next lake/river.

Note that only water is consumed in the process of propelling the ship, magma levels normally stay equal during the trip.

Defences include ballistae on the side (°), ammo is stored in (A).

Also, nice idea, hope it works out as well as it sounds.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:16:29 am by EagleV »
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 01:32:21 pm »

Why are all the ships so small?

Spoiler: side view (click to show/hide)

Flight-rocks are strange magical compounds that, when heated, rise into the air. The Magma is used to heat the Rock to gain altitide, and the water to cool it down.

Pirate's will win this! ARR!

Editing.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:31:03 pm by Kashyyk »

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 01:50:30 pm »

Top-down

ロロロ88F    /"""\    F88ロロロ
      ::   |KeKe|   ::
      ::   |KeKe|   ::
      \\   |KeKe|   //
        \__|KeKe|__/
      / :   :||:   : \
     |  :  : || :  :  |
     | :   : :: :   : |

Ship is still in making making
-edit2-
This is a MAJOR pain in ass to format
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:56:32 pm by Pillow_Killer »
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:46:18 pm »

Holy heck!

First off, I'm still not completely sure if the rules are balanced and workable- I'm pretty sure they are. Not to mention that I'm not quite ready to go yet. But I'd like to make some much-needed clarifications:

...First off, ships need to be in a top-down view, this is how I would draw them in combat mode. A 'z-level' design, if you must give your ship vertical depth, is best (I suppose I was asking for it with balloons). If you want to draw it from the side, that's great, but I'd probably only use that for illustrations.

Also, if you're willing to list your lift, thrust, cargo, fuel, fuel consumption per day, number of dwarves, speed, and list your armaments/ammo, that's be great. If not, I can probably calculate these. But, if there turns out to be a flaw in your design... hey, flying is dangerous!

Anyway, I'll be drawing us up a map...

Edit: Oh, and could each player choose a single-tile logo to use on the region map?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:48:15 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 03:05:13 pm »

Drawing it top-down and calculating stuff might take a while... When do you plan to start?

Also, bigger ships automatically win over smaller ships. (more crew, more thrust, more weapons.) Simply scaling a smaller design to make it twice as large will effectively double the excess lift and thrust, the firepower, etc, while the ship could still fly just as long without refueling/landing. In my opinion, there should be either a maximum and minimum size (either maximum dimensions, or a maximum number of total tiles), or a penalty for larger ships.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:10:43 pm by EagleV »
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 03:09:50 pm »

When there's a lot of people.

Like I said, I'm not even sure if I like the way the rules are balanced as they are. I was sort of surprised to see a big lineup of ships when I returned. If enough people have working ships though, great! We can always revise the rules in a new edition of the game, especially seeing as this is a competition with a clear conclusion.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 03:48:46 pm »

I'l join!

^
           /+\
          /+++\
         / +M+ \
           +@+
          +++++
        0-+   +-0
          +===+ 
        0-+   +-0
          +===+ 
        0-+   +-0
          +===+ 
       0-++   ++-0
         ++===++ 
       0-++   ++-0
         ++===++ 
       0-++   ++-0
         ++===++ 
       0-++   ++-0
         ++===++ 
       0-++   ++-0
         ++===++ 
       0-++   ++-0
         ++===++ 
      0-+++   +++-0
        +++===+++ 
      0-++s   s++-0
        ++s===s++ 
      0-+FFF FFF+-0
        +ss===ss+ 
      0-+www www+-0
        +ss===ss+ 
      0-+www www+-0
        +ss===+++ 
      0-+www www+-0
        +ss===ss+ 
      0-+www www+-0
        +ss===ss+ 
      0-+www www+-0
        +ss===ss+ 
      0-+www www+-0
        +ss===ss+ 
      0-+www www+-0
        +ss===ss+ 
      0-+ss   ss+-0
        +++===+++ 
       0-++   ++-0
         ++===++ 
       0-++   ++-0
         ++===++ 
       0-++   ++-0
         ++===++ 
         ++   ++
        / +++++ \
       /   +++   \

M = wheel & controle pannel
  @ = pilot
  FFF = fan, facing backwards
  www = windmill, facing forwards
  0- and -0 = Airoars
  === = wings
  s = stockpiles

Completly mecanism powered! The fans blow backwards on the windmills forming an perutum mobile, as well as providing some trust. Each of those air oars can be configured to provide either trust or lift, this thing only needs one person to fly, ir is made from featherwood, cloth, and a few very light stones. For the jurney I will be carying one pilot, one captain/trader/liason/noble, one mechanic/carpenter, and two crosbowdwarves. The ship is to fragile to land withoute breaking in two ((OOC note; this is suposed to ballance not needing fuel)) but roapladders (that due to pathfinding, anything exept wagons can climb as easily as a wide ramp while hauling anything) makes away with that need.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 04:10:15 pm »

Cool.

Alright, I think I've figured out exactly what we need to get this game on the road:

1: Stats for every competing ship. I will outline this in the first post. Don't forget a single-tile unicode symbol to represent you on the world map!
2: The world map, which I will draw
3: A good ASCII art program. It will be slow updating if I have to do everything in notepad. Suggestions? Ideally something that supports 'layers'.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Flying Machine (Entry Requirements Posted)
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 05:23:39 pm »

So hang on. Let me make sure I understand the rules.

This roll every turn: you say you roll your excess lift and upward thrust plus 1d6 against your speed, and if you roll less lift than your thrust, you lose the difference in altitude. So which is it, thrust or speed? And if you roll more lift than your thrust, do you go up? Seems odd for your altitude to be dependent on your speed or horizontal thrust anyway. Shouldn't it make more sense for you to gain or lose the difference between weight and lift+upward thrust each turn?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 06:45:22 pm »

Having a program for DF-art is useful. If you want, I could try to translate that to unicode.

You can see my weight/lift calculations right in the image.

24 of the lift comes from the propeller banks(3 per shaft times four shafts times two thrust), not counting the maneuvering props(on either side).

It has up to four dwarves cranking the engine, and one at the front(glass) steering console.
The total crew is 7 dwarves, and with only 5 beds, two MUST be up at any time, so that someone can steer, and someone can provide thrust, even while everyone else is sleeping. There are two fortifications for use during war.
The + are empty floor, the # are a landing ramp, usually acting as empty floor. There are many stools. There are 30 units of storage space, 10 for food, 10 for booze, and 10 for ammo(bolts).

If you need a singe symbol, use the one for the steering controls. If you need it as plain text, I'll convert it for you. If you want to see it in full colour, I do too, and will post it eventually.
Eh?
Eh!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 07:06:52 pm »

So hang on. Let me make sure I understand the rules.

This roll every turn: you say you roll your excess lift and upward thrust plus 1d6 against your speed, and if you roll less lift than your thrust, you lose the difference in altitude. So which is it, thrust or speed? And if you roll more lift than your thrust, do you go up? Seems odd for your altitude to be dependent on your speed or horizontal thrust anyway. Shouldn't it make more sense for you to gain or lose the difference between weight and lift+upward thrust each turn?

No, I'm keeping it like it is- basically, it means that if you travel at a great speed with horizontal thrusters, you risk losing altitude. For a helicopter this would never be a problem save at high altitude. For a rocket with wings on it, it means you may need big wings even if you're lightweight.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 07:25:35 pm »

I would like to announce that I will join this and my symbol shall be ø.

I have not completed my air-sailing ship's design yet, and it is late, but you shall most likely have it tomorrow.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9