Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to build a "mine field". Instructions.  (Read 3173 times)

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to build a "mine field". Instructions.
« on: November 29, 2009, 06:28:12 am »

Easiest way for areal denial (or mutilation) is trapping your areas with normal traps. However, if you want traps on area that can kill whole squad when first goblin steps on it, the minefield is an option.

For minefield you will need:
-Replenishing Magma
-flat area to be mined (not mandatory, but easier to implement)
-magma proof materials for mechanisms etc.

Let's designate our outside surface area (where the goblins etc. walk) as level z 0.

On z -1, dig a tunnel network under the area to be mined. I build my own with tunnels every 5 spaces. Full hollow is acceptable too, it just takes longer to get operational, but allows better mine placement.

Next, build a magma pump, which pumps into the z -1 level tunnels. Magma pump must reside at z 0 or higher level, and entryway to the tunnels must be covered on all levels below pump. Higher level pumps cause bigger "explosions". Open entries cause overflow, and make the minefield stop working.

Note for later: It is a good idea to place a kill switch to the mechanism powering pump(s). (safety)

Next step is filling the tunnels. Pump them full of magma.
This also allows you to check that no overflows are happening, when tunnels are full.

At this point, shut down the magma pumps (otherwise next step will kill plenty of dwarfs.)

Next, place the "mines". On level z 0, channel single square holes into the magma tunnels where ever you want the mine to be. (you can have multiple mines, try one and see how large area it covers. Then decide after that). Cover the channel with a magmaproof-hatch. Place a pressure plate (or multiple plates)next to the hatch , and trigger them to open hatch, when stepped on.

Re-connect the pump, and there you have it.

The operation principle is simple. Magma is pressurized from higher level into enclosed space with no exits. Hatches are opened when someone steps on pressure plate near them, and the pressurized magma shoots up, spreading into the open space around it.

If the area is big enough, then when the hatch closes, the released magma will spread out into 1 layer and disappear (though this will take a long time). Once triggered, the area is thus denied for a while. Trap also conveniently burns all those narrow clothes, but leaves iron items.

Other details.
-Allmechanisms must be magma proof.
-Changes to pumps (height, amount) can increase the size of magma explosion.
-Safety on pumps allows disconnecting the minefield so it won't kill animals and hunter following them. This allows your minefield to ignore a mairy marmot, and be ready for the siege, instead of burning the animal, and making the enemy avoid the large area of 1 deep magma.

-Allowing pressure plates to be triggered also by magma will cause a big chain reaction, and the field will not clear, unless it can be drained somehow. Remember that magma will rise to the level of the pump, so be careful or "fun" will happen.
-Alternatively, the trap can be used to really trap enemy, by placing trigger in center of area, and hatches on edges. This requires more mechanisms, but it is possible to open all hatches when plate is triggered, thus trapping the enemy unit by surrounding it with magma. (if they step on the plate again, they may release enough magma to get themselves killed.)
-Obvious place to locate one is a bit further away from your entrance, on area from where enemies approach during sieges.

Now, I build the minefield on one fortess, but stopped playing before anyone stepped on it, so the efficiency is unknown.

So. Any comments? Questions?
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a "mine field". Instructions.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:45:47 am »

For extra epicness add barrels of booze to the trap via a series of floodgates

Wall: W
Floodgate:F
Booze:B
Magma: M
MMMMM
MWFWM
MF B FM
MWFWM
MMMMM
it would be completely pointless, not much more effective, hard and dangerous to rearm, and would look cool,

It is therefore extremely dwarven and must be done.
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:19:10 am »

The sad thing is that there's no "pressure" thing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:01:57 am »

The pumps create it. This won't work on it's own weight.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:10:00 am »

What are you talking about? This would definitely work.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:33:50 am »

Yeah, but it's not pressure but a liquid teleportation due to uneven Z-levels :D. Great idea.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 11:24:00 am »

Hm, I think you are officially a nominee for the Dwarven Peace Prize now. Great idea.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 03:34:01 pm »

problem I see with the way pressure plates work... the hatch that the plate opens will remain open for at least 100 steps until the pressure pate untriggers.  depending on how your magma is set up at the pump, that could flood a significant portion of the trapped hall.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 03:40:32 pm »

that seems to be the general idea
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 04:03:07 pm »

problem I see with the way pressure plates work... the hatch that the plate opens will remain open for at least 100 steps until the pressure pate untriggers.  depending on how your magma is set up at the pump, that could flood a significant portion of the trapped hall.

Get the pressure plates to also trigger floodgates?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 04:43:08 pm »

An easy way to improve the effectiveness of this trap is to trigger all mines around the perimeter at the same time once all of the goblins are within.  This will cut off every exit, and give you the satisfaction of watching them squirm as the magma slowly encroaches upon them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 05:54:39 pm »

Minefields are usually meant to be placed outside, but for those diehard engineers who insist on trapping your own dining hall, there is a way to avoid the inside minefield problem:
You must build a magma reservoir, which is first filled(entry to reservoir closed with floodgate). Then magma is pumped from the reservoir into field. The max magma burst is limited to size of the reservoir, and you can make sure it will evaporate by counting the size of reservoir and area to be filled.

This method assumes lever pulling later, to re-fill the reservoir of course.

I had in my fortress Magma bombs for the main entry corridoor,  well as flood option. Just so you know, both take a long time to clear, so if you only have one entry, placing minefield there is not a good idea, you are likely to miss caravan or two while the magma cools off.