Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Help me practice working for clients. I don't have a tablet or a scanner, okay?  (Read 11660 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Help me practice working for clients.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 05:48:27 pm »

Aqizzar... I am not dumping that. In fact, if no-one has any objections, I'm starting it right this fraking second. Actually, screw your objections.

Itnetlolor, you're right, that probably will be tougher than it sounds. I'll need to do research and also find a variety of backgrounds to make sure it can fit anywhere. Added to list.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 05:53:33 pm »

Can I get a dude jumping off a diving board?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 05:55:32 pm »

Anything more specific? I could set him on fire if you want.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 05:59:39 pm »

Aqizzar... I am not dumping that. In fact, if no-one has any objections, I'm starting it right this fraking second. Actually, screw your objections.

I object to this gross breach of contract!  Object I say!

Ha, cool.  Oh by the way, could you throw an animal pelt over his shoulders?  I can add it to the big description for reference.  Altogether he should look like a barbaric yet futuristic trench fighter.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:31 pm »

Nice, I feel like I want to reuest something but my skills are similar enought and the way my brain works evrything I can think of wanting at all is so spesific I'm better of making it all myself most of the time...

I also feel like I want to give advice, but my experience is not with that exact softwhere and it is generally to low-level to give without more knowledge fo exactly what it is you want to do.I guess I can still give you a list of considerations that might be good to cosider for most graphics stuff (Of corse, considering you've ac tualy got education in the stuff you hopfully alredy know all of these at an instinct level):

* Is it abstract and 2d-ish, or a scene
* what shuld the level of visual complexity be?
* A general palete, and how varied the palete shuld be.
* composition!
* Lightning is IMPORTNANT!
* theme, style, feel
* What is the *ultimate* reason for making the image? who is going to judge if it's good? who is going to see it? what efect shuld it have on them?
* Top down aproach is uauly best in visual arts, start with concept, then composition, then roguht skech, then finer, then actual image etc.
* for animation, storyboarding.

Now, for something you might find more relevant; how to get ideas and inspiration for art and your own images!:
One posible viewpoint is that randomness is the mother of all creativity; after all, look at evolution, or DF! If you study those examples you'll however find there are two more factors:
* Randomness hapens at different levels of abstraction: it's like brownian noise rather than white noice if I use such metaphores
* The output of the randomness is put throguth some kinds of filters, some results are "bad", some are "good",  those that are "good" are kept but the "bad" ones discarded.

Now,  if your brain dosn't automaticaly spawn creativity by itself like mine always does, you mgith want to emulate this process, heres and example of a mathod for that:
1) get a dictionary, or even beter some kind of file with words taged to be easily procesed by a computer.
2) randomly (dice, random.org) select one noun, one verb, and one adjective. Visualize varius scenes posible by combining the concepts behind them.
3) chose a completly random word for mood or stule
4) chose a random RGB colour that shuld be contained in the resulting image.
5) Imagine the image you'd get from these above points, mentaly store that as "current image"
6) If possible, think of a completely different, less obvious interpretation of the randomied elements. Store it as curent image
7) Think of a way the curent image could be more "Intresting", if you can figure one out, replace the curent image with that new one
8 ) repeat step 7 several times, but replace "intresting" with each of the folowing words: "beutifull" "persuading" "artistic" "appealing to your tastes" and "better"
9)by now you  shuld have been inspired and trailed of these instructions to go making the image, if not, discard the result and restart at step 1.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 09:00:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Armok, that was completely incomprehensible.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 09:07:55 pm »

I believe he was trying to describe a method of planing/working.
Not too sure.

@Aqizzar: You are aware that I have no tablet, right? I'm currently trying to make your request of a load of source images.

The only way I could scan sketches onto my laptop would be at collage, and I don't really want to have to do that.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 09:50:44 pm »

@Aqizzar: You are aware that I have no tablet, right? I'm currently trying to make your request of a load of source images.

That... wasn't at all what I had in mind.  Note to self, read the whole list of programs and abilities.

Yeah I guess all that stuff about page layout should have tipped me off that this wouldn't be about sketching, but the first thing I saw was that bird picture, so I kind of figured you'd be drawing stuff.

Kudos anyway.  Have as much fun with it as you like.  I'll say that despite the complete lack of alterations to any of the images, it does look very cohesive, like it's actually a guy wearing all that junk.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 10:39:32 pm »

For my earlier request, some more detail I guess? Just a guy, short hair, swim trunks, arms a flailin. Cruisin through the air, with a diving board springing around behind him, the water visible underneath him. Maybe some pool toys, like water wings?

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 01:19:47 am »

Hee hee, that's not so bad. I go to Ren faires. I've see people much older, in much worse shape, dressed with far skimpier clothing. Anyway, check deviantArt for less brain bleach--all of their pictures are of pretty people. Just watch out for anthro horses.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 01:22:51 am »

That... wasn't at all what I had in mind.  Note to self, read the whole list of programs and abilities.

Yeah I guess all that stuff about page layout should have tipped me off that this wouldn't be about sketching, but the first thing I saw was that bird picture, so I kind of figured you'd be drawing stuff.

Kudos anyway.  Have as much fun with it as you like.  I'll say that despite the complete lack of alterations to any of the images, it does look very cohesive, like it's actually a guy wearing all that junk.

I think that what Akigagak's looking for is the whole client experience. Something less of a polite, friendly criticism and more of a soul-wrenching gut-stomping maniac client review. Let me have a go, here. before you start, put a pencil between your teeth, and imagine you've just sent the rough draft of a brochure to your client...

WHAT?! YOU CALL THIS WORK. I WANT TO TALK TO YOUR MANAGER. I HAVE MY COUSIN IN COLLEGE WHO COULD MAKE THIS BROSHURE FOR ME AND IT LOOK TWICE AS GOOD! i ONLY WORK WITH YOU BECAUSE I AM A PATRIOT AND OLNY USE SERVICES OF OUR COUNTRY BUT SO HELP ME JESUS I COULD HIRE A CHINAMAN OR AN INDIAN AND HE HAVE WHOLE pROSHURE DONE IN HALF A DAY FOR LESS THAN 3$.

I WANT WHOLE THING DONE OVER AGAIN. mAKE THE FRONT PANEL IN REFLECTIVE HOLOFOIL LIKE I ORDERED AND I EXPECT THE INSIDE PICTURES FILL COLOR FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR ALL MY TROUBLE. aLSO MAKE SURE THAT MY BUSINESS NAME (TRY CITY AUTO REPAIR AND SALES) ON TOP OF FRONT PAGE IN bright LETTERS. VERY TOP- LAST DESIGNER GOT IT ALL WRONG.

I GOING TO TELL YOU A SECRET OF ADVERTIZING FOR FREE HERE AND I WANT YOU TO KEEP IT IN MIND WHEN WORKING ON MY PROSHURE. SMALLER CLOTHES OF MODELS = BIGGER SALES. ACTUALLY, BIGGER "SIZE" MODELS = BIGGER SALES IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. KEEP IN MIND. i WOULDN'T TELL JUST ANYONE SECRET ADVERTIZING SECRETS. YOU REMEMBER THAT WHEN RIGHTING SALES SLIP.

ALSO MAKE SURE MY NAME IS IN TOP OF FRONT PAGE BECASE pEOPLE RESEPECT MY NAME AS TOP AUTO MECHANIC AND SALESMAN IN WHOLE TRI CITY AREA. LAST BROCURE MAKER GOT IT ALL WRONG.

SINCERLY:
LARDY P. CLIENT

If you read through half the e-mail without biting through the pencil, you passed!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 02:15:31 am »

Personally, I would find a more clean cut, flaw-finding nitpick review; much in the same vein of a critique from a teacher (especially in person), more painful than some jackass that can't tell the difference between crap and complete sh*t giving me lip through ink or bytes spanning a distance.

Depending on the income, and just how well they "know" other designers, I would easily tear into them why a design of their choosing is more costly, and utterly useless in print-out/distribution. Look "Master of all Advertising", black on black printed on black paper is just going to be a soggy ball of ink. Even a timid octopus can make something cleaner than that at a much cheaper price.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 09:23:21 am »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 02:17:31 pm »

WHat part of my post is hard to understand?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »

WHat part of my post is hard to understand?

The parts where it looks like you have either turds or feet inside your mouth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5