Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Other Majesty 2 Style Games?  (Read 16833 times)

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Other Majesty 2 Style Games?
« on: November 29, 2009, 08:08:17 pm »

Long time lurker, been loving some of the game suggestions you guys have been making to each other and thought I'd post to see what you all can suggest for this.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to set things, orders, moves or what not then sit back and see what happens.  Majesty 2 comes sort of close to this with the concept of setting rewards for things you want done.  If you have a hero hired who feels up to the quest and likes the pay he/she will receive, they will attempt it.

What I'm looking for is anything else with a similar concept and design.

Thanks in advance everyone,

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Other Majesty 2 Style Games?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:17:57 pm »

Wanted to add that the games do not have to be 3d, looking for anything similar really.

Take care,

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:19:57 pm »

Majesty 1.
Shoes...

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:21:04 pm »

I would jsut like to comment, if you want something similar, why not just keep playing Majesty? I mean it's truely similar :). Also, I agree with 'hu, the original is better!
Hello Hunam

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:31:54 pm »

If you're by any chance into IIWW-themed strategy games, then Hearts of Iron 3 might be worth checking. They implemented a new HQ command system: basically, it's a fluid system, where on one extreme you can do everything manually, and on the other you just set up command hierarchy and organisation, then set objectives for each theatre and watch how they handle it.
It's far from perfect in execution, though. Many bugs, and the AI is sometimes painful to watch, as is fails to exploit obvious advantages. It's a nice idea though.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 11:03:30 pm »

@ Cthulhu - Thought about it actually and will most likely check it out.  Though with Majesty 2 I've already got a "fantasy" themed game.  Although if it has a sandbox mode, then I'd be very interested.

@ Megaman - One of the main things I do not like about Majesty 2 is being forced to play the campaign or short single mission games.  If it had a sandbox where you could just keep playing and playing, that would be cool, but it does not.

@ Il Palazzo - Not a huge WWIi fan, but will check it out regardless.

Thanks for replies guys,

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 11:42:04 pm »

@ Cthulhu - Thought about it actually and will most likely check it out.  Though with Majesty 2 I've already got a "fantasy" themed game.  Although if it has a sandbox mode, then I'd be very interested.

In my opinion, the sandbox mode is the critical feature the new developers completely missed out on when they remade Majesty. I think the excuse was engine limitations, but that reeks of laziness, as Tropico 3 has quite a decent 3D sandbox feature. M1 has this feature - you might enjoy it, even if it is a bit dated. I figure DF fans can get past graphics, right?

I can't really think of any games where you provide incentives and watch the results in a similar fashion to Majesty.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:09:38 am »

Medieval Conquest is fairly similar

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:24:43 am »

@ Mr. Boh - Ahh so M1 has a sandbox mode, will for sure give it a go.  Also, the system doesn't have to have a "incentive" or "reward" system, I'm really looking for some AI autonomy.

@ thunderclan - Thought about MC, played it a bit but didn't like that you have to take care of all the builds as much as you do.  Though I only played it for about 30 mins before I went to sleep one night, will give it another chance later though.

Thanks again you all...any other suggestions?

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:23:35 pm »

One last post to bump up for more suggestions. :D

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:07:18 pm »

Knights and Merchants came to mind. That game is crazy!

You control your troops and building locations, but all the transport jobs are done automatically.

The whole game is just a huge supply chain simulator. It takes like 6 steps to make food.

Not a particularly good game, but fun enough.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 11:31:34 pm »

I've only played majesty once or twice, but if your looking for the not-so-much control thing evil genius suits it

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 10:34:30 am »

Medieval Conquest is fairly similar
Seconding. You have less hero choices (Mage Archer Knight) and rather than setting bounties you assign your heros hunting areas but other than that its almost identical.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 10:43:49 pm »

I think this is in the same spirit that interests the OP:

http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/ranger/

You have a party of four stickmen that fight their way across a 2D world on their own. All you need to do is sort out their loot, skills and make the odd tactical decision. It's certainly something to burn some time with while you're waiting for this thread to fill up.

Edited out the part about Medieval Conquest after reading the whole thread. ;]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:49:19 pm by Redd »