Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Cloisteredcult of Oddomngottûn  (Read 1416 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
The Cloisteredcult of Oddomngottûn
« on: November 30, 2009, 12:18:15 pm »

To see the premise of this fortress and why I'm making it, click here

Or, if you want something more thematic:

It was in the spring of 214 that a mysterious, robed figure first came to the mountainhomes, claiming to be from another world. This could hardly be believed, until he began telling his stories, detailing the epic of a small dwarven nation who stood up against the elven menace, the great heroes who slaughtered hundreds of the elves, and the great Tholtig Cryptbrain who stood like a mountain before an endless onslaught of pointy-eared bastards.

Upon hearing these stories, the king, who was already thinking of how his nation "The Past Lens" could use another monument of power, sent out seven dwarves to find a place for a new monument dedicated to the glory of Tholtig and her mountainhome of Circletower.

---

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the embark, though I found a great spot on a named volcano with a brook, underground river, magma pool and pipe, flux, and HFS.

I'll post an update later, though don't expect much of a story. I'm not very good at doing that and still having time to actually make the fortress.

Current map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7550-oddomngottn
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:12:48 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloisteredcult of Oddomngottûn
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 01:12:04 pm »

This is the spot. I can feel it. The warm beckoning of the underground, calling me forth for the glory of all dwarf-kind. Oh yes, this is where the great monument of Thortig is destined to be! Where we, the seven of the Cloisteredcult, shall found the mountainhome of Oddomngottûn, and craft it from the ground to be marveled at for generations to come! Oh yes, I can feel it.

But! First, we need some defenses and basic lodgings to serve us until we are able to create the monument, which will, if all goes to plan, be the centerpiece and beating heart of the fortress.

Let's get some, shall we?

---

Everything's been going swimmingly so far, the entrance tunnel with drawbridges is complete, the bedrooms and storehouses have been carved and are only waiting for our carpenter and mason to create some furniture to fill then with, and we just killed an invading thief trying to take what little we currently have! Oh yes, quite swimmingly.

And Tholtig's monument... oh, it will be GRAND!!! A dome the size of a small mountain! A terraced pyramid of statues all leading up to a masterfully made likeness of Tholtig herself! Surrounded by huge magma falls falling the entire height of the dome! Ohoho, yes, it will be GRAND!

---

Mining out the main floor (not the bottom floor, mind you) is nearly complete, along with the main populace's palace district and the future main-level forges. We've also set up farming and closed the drawbridge, severing us from the outside and any possible threats out there.

Also, since the palace district is almost complete, it turns out we don't need the temporary lodgings.

Oh, also, we now have a litter of kittens and puppies!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:33:18 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:08:43 pm »

Can't wait for screens!

Will you be accepting requests for named dwarves?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:01 pm »

Can't wait for screens!

Will you be accepting requests for named dwarves?

Yay, someone cares.

If anyone feels that they know what I should do better then I (even if that includes flooding the farms with magma. I won't kill the entire fortress until the monument's done though.) or have a suggestion/request, then I shall do my best to oblige.

Also, I'll post an uploaded map once I'm done with the first year.

---

Oh dear, it seems some of the dwarves are grumbling about "improper living conditions" or some such nonsense. I would tell them exactly where they can shove it, but I'm afraid they might rebel...

Migrants! Precisely what this fort needs right now!

Oh, this is just splendid, splendid! Our population is now 18, more then doubling the hands available for work! Quite splendid indeed!

The frosty bite of winter is upon us, and with it draws closer the end of our first year! The main floor is finished being mined out, all that remains is to carve out the hollow part in the center and finish the food storage. Overall, I'd say this was quite a productive year!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:52:27 pm by abculatter_2 »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:46:14 pm »

The first year is done, the map is now uploaded and can be viewed here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7550-oddomngottn (there's also an older map that i uploaded earlier). I'll be adding PoIs over the next few minutes. And now I'm done with Dwarf Fortress for tonight.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:05:17 pm by abculatter_2 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:25:33 am »

So, what's happening at the present moment? Any updates? :)

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:48:22 pm »

You now have another fan. I'm interested in how this will turn out (And very interested in what the monument will look like)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 06:31:53 pm »

So, what's happening at the present moment? Any updates? :)

I was going to abandon it due to lack of interest, but now that people are showing some interest I'll play another year or two.

Also, please do not hesitate to make FUN requests and "suggestions" and such. It'll make the whole thing that much more interesting.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 06:52:49 pm »

Ah, spring! The time when the harsh snows of winter melt away to reveal new life, slowly shaking off its cold shackles! 'Tis a shame I can't see the flowers blossoming outside, I was always quite fond of that...

Oh, I also managed to dig up a prospector's drawing of the area! I wonder how he knew all this stuff was there if he didn't dig though, as I've seen no dwarf-made holes besides this one...

(OoC: It also has sand, and iron.)

ELVES
Those vile, pointy-eared bastards dare to show their face at our stronghold! Why, this very place is a monument to a heroic dwarf who slaughtered thousands of their kind in hopeless battles! Oh, what's this? They wish to trade?!? The only thing we shall trade with those cretins is blood and steel!

While hollowing out the monument chamber, our miners report that they have struck gold! Oh, glorious GOLD! This will make the statues required later much easier to create.
I'm also getting repeated reports of thieves and raccoons stealing things. My first question is, how do we know this? My second one is, from where?

More migrants! This fortress is really booming!
Sweet Armok, we now have 41 dwarves! I hope now we can start getting this place organized.

Spring has come and gone, and the summer sun once again beats upon the land with renewed vigor. Ah, what a glorious sight it must be, certainly better then these grey and yellow walls...

Those then this, not much has happened, just everyone hustling and bustling in an attempt to tidy this place up.

I'm opening the gates to chop down and collect some more wood...
I have a baaaad feeling about this...

A snatcher! Protect the...
Actually, you know, those little bastards have done nothing but eat our food and drink our booze... Eh, I suppose the combat experience might be good for some of the peasants.

Praise the heavens, sweet adamantine!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:58:53 pm by abculatter_2 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 07:56:36 am »

So, what's up now?

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 08:53:23 pm »

So, what's up now?

Distractions. Continuing.

After getting raped many, many times by the space marines and chaos space marines in Dawn of War: Soulstorm, some DF sounds appealing.
(Fucking AI cheats)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:56:23 pm by abculatter_2 »