Keep it burning! Smoke!
- 2 (11.8%)
Make it HOTTER!
- 13 (76.5%)
Stop the madness!
- 2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Sparkgear VIII - Behind the Eight Ball  (Read 39895 times)

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear VIII - Behind the Eight Ball
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 09:23:00 pm »

Now, I dunno if this is because I installed the Mayday graphic pack on this install or not, but the microcline doesn't seem to be melting for me. It's mostly just getting mangled; it's been a year and still no melting.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 09:32:29 pm »

It melts eventually, according to my tests on a volcanic island.

Quote from: Zifnab
a hassle
No, a TOOL!

Quote from: The Architect
So you basically broke microcline while modding it, Barbarossa? Why include that in our game, anyway? It is something you can easily undo and probably should.
If I meant to make every rock completely safe, I wouldn't make them ignite at below room temperature, now would I?

I say play. As long as you don't mine the microcline, it won't smoke.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 10:00:47 pm »

Not for me. It just all mangled away or something.

Hilariously the dwarfs are all sitting there starving and somehow an orc siege gets started, even though everyone's starving, the marksdwarf is already dead, etc. Funny. (I'm just going to watch the rest of this to see where it goes. Obviously non-canon.)

EDIT: Well that didn't take long. They're all dead.

Architect, what's going on in the real fortress?

EDIT EDIT: I decided just for the funnies to reclaim and apparently all the orcs are now friendly. Does that happen in Relentless Assault, or did you do something, Barb?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:10:19 pm by Kyronea »
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 10:39:39 pm »

That's a known bug in the game itself.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:09 pm »

It serves no purpose as far as I know. Why have it? I don't think changing it requires a new world gen.

Again, does anyone know if there is a viable save? As far as anything with a broken RAW is viable?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 10:56:31 pm »

Architect, if you can't handle the mod, just give up your turn. I'm tired of you saying that the mod is unplayable, because I very easily made it through my entire turn. I'm not going to have you edit the RAWs just so that you don't have to deal with a single variety of burning rock.

(PS: It seems only microcline saved in edited form, which means that all the other blue rocks are safe.)

Abculatter_2, here is your save.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:13:25 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 11:14:25 pm »

Architect, if you can't handle the mod, just give up your turn. I'm tired of you saying that the mod is unplayable, because I very easily made it through my entire turn. I'm not going to have you edit the RAWs just so that you don't have to deal with burning rocks.

Well, this is going to be rude. But here goes: stop being an ass, Barbarossa. No one said your "mod" was unplayable. Therefore, I'm not sure what you are tired of. I didn't ask permission to fix the raws to help me make it through my turn. I did ask the group in general what they thought of this apparently pointless bug you've created. I've never lost a fort, and unlike you I didn't lose large numbers of dwarves due to incompetence during my turn in the last Sparkgear. So a little less of the ass-ishness, alright? Now I hope we both got that out of our systems.

What I asked for was for someone to tell me where to get the valid save for my turn. Anyone who can help with that? I still haven't started because no one has directed me to the save, despite my requests. I hope this doesn't sound like an accusation to the rest of you; in fact it is Barbarossa's responsibility as both the host and the last player to help me out here.
The sigs topic:

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 11:40:59 pm »

Here goes: stop being an ass, Barbarossa. No one said your "mod" was unplayable. Therefore, I'm not sure what you are tired of. I didn't ask permission to fix the raws to help me make it through my turn. I did ask the group in general what they thought of this apparently pointless bug you've created. I've never lost a fort, and unlike you I didn't lose large numbers of dwarves due to incompetence during my turn in the last Sparkgear. So a little less of the ass-ishness, alright? Now I hope we both got that out of our systems.

The save was linked in the last post as well as on page 1. I'm sorry for not making it bigger, that was indeed my fault.

Again, does anyone know if there is a viable save? As far as anything with a broken RAW is viable?
This is where I assumed you were being an ass, because I didn't realize that I hadn't made the link noticeable enough. It sounded a LOT like you were saying that the save I linked wasn't playable, and that I 'broke' the RAW. People saying something is broken generally means that they want to 'fix' it.

However, I'm wondering what I did in the last SG that killed all of our dwarves. As far as I knew, the only dwarves that died were 2 miners who died in a collapse.

On the topic of this 'pointless bug', I actually think there could be some great uses for it. For example, you could drop a hundred units of flaming stone onto an elven caravan. You could even throw the stones from a drawbridge. If you wanted, you could even use them to help dam a river. (There is one, by the way!)

Sorry for coming off as an ass, I was just misunderstanding your post.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13:10 am »

It would help a ton if you just post the saves instead of editing them in later. I found one, going to use it. I still fail to see how friendly comments led to this catty bout of sarcasm and rudeness. I really was looking forward to what would happen when you ran this, like I said. It's a real shame that you took out your frustration from everyone's comments about the rock mod on me. Let's not go there in the future, alright? I wasn't much better, but I didn't start it either.

Let's see what we have!
The sigs topic:

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 12:42:08 am »

Well, unfortunately your turn ended. However, since you missed your turn based on my mistake, you get to pick and choose your next turn from any day between the 8th and 31st. If someone drops out this week, you could choose to take that turn instead, and have normal priority for the later weeks, as opposed to high priority.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 01:48:45 am »

Nah, I really don't care. I'll let this one fizzle out on its own.
The sigs topic:

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 02:17:13 am »

If you'd like, you can have my turn. I'm willing to wait, especially since you're much more experienced than I am, and thus would be able to put together a much firmer foundation.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 02:56:03 am »

If you'd like, you can have my turn. I'm willing to wait, especially since you're much more experienced than I am, and thus would be able to put together a much firmer foundation.

That's extremely considerate and complimentary of you, Kyronea! I think you should keep your turn, though. In fact I believe since ABC never showed up to claim his turn, the rules dictate that it is your right to claim his turn too. Given your offer and the rules, I think I'll go ahead and take it.

Edit: Barbarossa, I don't see how you want us to use the burning abomination. Could you explain? I dont think dwarves can carry it around to dump it on elves and such as you suggest without catching on fire themselves, and I don't currently see how burning dwarves are a "tool"? Now if we had carts or smart dwarves who wouldn't just grab it with their exposed plant fiber mittens, it might be different. Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:58:56 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 03:03:54 am »

Okay. That works.

As for the microcline, unless there's just something fundamentally different about my install thanks to the Mayday pack--which shouldn't be the case--my tests with the microcline show that all it'll do is smoke a whole lot and mangle itself to gone. It never boiled and I mined out an entire cluster to test.

So...it may actually be useless; probably when Barb saw it boiling, it was due to the higher temperature in the region he tested it in.

Could be useful for a smoke trap if that's somehow useful in any particular way. Otherwise...I think it's just a nuisance.

But as I said, don't take my word for it. I'd recommend more testing.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 03:59:58 am »

OK, just looking around. Won't have time to play tonight, as late as it is.

Looks like a very basic fort, 7 dwarves and no broker/appraisal in 25th of Granite, Spring. This is the latest save, so I assume it's what you want me to play with.

Skilled Miner/novice appraiser/novice ...organizer?  Job: The Prophet.
Carpenter/various dabbling socials/dabbling masonry
Skilled Woodcutter/various dabbling socials
Mason/novice miner/dabbling socials
Cook/Herbalist/dabbling mason/dabbling socials
Brewer/Grower/dabbling socials
Marksdwarf/Ambusher

So... no comment on the embark. I assume you were intentionally "challenging" us by providing a relatively useless group. Challenge accepted...

2 dogs, horse/muskox from wagon.
pile of turtle. yay!
drinks of course.
*At this point I name "The Prophet" as our broker, so that the stocks menu will function properly*
To continue:
~4520 created wealth
16794 imported
Ambusher crap, noquality xbow/bolts/excuse for armor
an anvil! woot.
Some plump helmet, and some plump helmet seeds. Don't expect much from the farmers! We won't have syrup roasts or the like for the first trading session.
A very plain little dig-in into the side of the mountain, a 2-wide corridor with the miners digging out what appears to be basic living quarters and a dining room (currently used for makeshift storage) and designation for a looong up/down stair leading to a proper 3-tile entrance at ground level. Looks like Barb wanted to just start us with a (relatively) safe place to stick the dwarves, away from the wildlife, and leave the rest to us.

I'm not a big fan of the whole shoot-yourself-in-the-foot-for-a-challenge embark idea, but we play with what we're given. Tomorrow, our epic quest begins! Don't be surprised to find things greatly changed from the current layout in a month or two.

One last note: Our critters list includes many antmen and naked mole dogs along with a few marmots and gremlins, but nothing actually dangerous like trogolodites. Here's hoping we have a GCS!
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16