Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia - Round 12 - Game Over!  (Read 52946 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Paranormal Mafia - Round 12 - Game Over!
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:08:22 pm »

Ok, Game thread for Paranormal Mafia, round 12!

As usual, I'll try to keep this list updated as people die.

Players:
  • ToonyMan - Doppelganger Psychic Warden
  • Pandarsenic - Alien Exterminator
  • JanusTwoFace - Human Agent
  • Leafsnail - Human Heroic Guard
  • Org - Human Enchanter
  • forsaken1111 - Human Mad Scientist & Kook
  • Jim Groovester - Human Psychic Warden
  • Frelock - Human Psychic Warden
  • RedWarrior0 - Doppelganger Observant Guard
  • Neruz - Doppelganger Mad Scientist
  • Vector - Alien Operative
  • Kashyyk - Human Medium and Kook
  • MagmaDeath - Human Townsperson
  • dakarian - Doppelganger Leader
  • webadict - Human Telepath
  • A_Fey_Dwarf - Human Medium
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:58:52 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafa - Round 12
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:08:47 pm »

--------------------------------
Here are the current rules:

Here is the (current) list of possible roles:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Definitions:
    Doppelganger: These foul creatures kill and eat humans, taking on all of their memories and abilities. Once they have a form, most doppelgagners cannot change again. They are a flawed species, and possess and uncontrollable bloodlust forcing them to kill and eat humans each night. Their goal is to destroy all of the humans in the town and make their way out into the larger world.
    Night Kill: Any kill that happens during the Night Phase. The Doppelgangers and Cultists each get 1 Night Kill as a group, in addition to any allowed by Roles.
    Morningkill: A morning kill happens between the day and night phase, and cannot be prevented by abilities that prevent night kills. (Such as the Guardian)
    Abduction: When a player abducts another player, two things happen. First, the abducted player is role-blocked for the night. Second, that player is removed from play for that night (and possibly the game). While removed, they cannot be the target of any other night action and cannot vote or be lynched during the day. Exceptions: The Paranoid War Vet and Sentry Gun are not role-blocked by an abduction, and will kill the player attempting the abduction. Abducted players are not role-flipped until their abductor leaves the game.

I've written a perl script to pick roles and whatnot randomly. It has some rules that it follows, but it should make for a nice amount of randomness to the set-up. Note that while I'll generally just go with whatever it spits out, I may make modifications to the set-up in order to make a more interesting game or to test out a specific feature. Also note that I will intentionally mess or not mess with stuff just to screw up anyone depending on the Gambler's Fallacy.

Not all roles are guaranteed. In fact, it's quite possible to have a game with nothing but normal doppelgangers and humans.
There will only be, at most, 2 of any given role per side for Humans and Doppelgangers (other then townsperson, normal doppelganger, and cultist)
There can only be 1 of each Alien Role in a game. An Exterminator can have either an Operative or a Controlled Doppelganger working with him, not both.

General Rules:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Feel free to ask for clarification on any rule.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:52:27 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:10:06 pm »

The research station lies high above the jungle floor, perched atop a high, broad hill. The only way in or out is through small prop planes that land on the small runway. A perfect place to study the splendor of the natural world, and the ancient ruins that hug the hillside. You have been here for weeks now, some working in the ruins while others travel down to the jungle below.

Not the most comfortable assignment, perhaps, but a rich and rewarding area to do research. With luck, careers could be made with the discoveries here.

Unfortunately, you're more concerned with your lives right now.

A few days ago. a cache of 4 strange pods were discovered in the ruins. Pods that are man-sized...and empty. Night after night, people started to go missing. Worried, you gathered around the fire to discuss your options. The next supply plane wouldn't arrive for at least a few weeks, and even then it wouldn't be able to get you all out. And even if it did...well...you know what's happening. Rumors abound of the body-snatchers. The Doppelgangers. Any of you could be one. In fact, it's almost certain that four of you are doppelgangers! None of you relish the thought of getting on a plane with such monsters, trapped in the air for hours with no escape...

No, you need to root out these impostors before they kill you all.

Game has started! Day 1 will go until ~5pm Pacific Thursday.

Quite a few changes have occurred with the rules set, so make sure you look over the rules carefully. A lot of stuff has been cut to get the game back to a more classic Paranormal feel.
Come play Mafia with us!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 04:14:50 pm »

Woot!

First post!

So Webadict, What color is your tie, and what do you think of our current situation?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 04:16:33 pm »

Why so eager Kashyyk?

Also, what scumteam would you hate to face, and why?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:19:18 pm »

Random vote: dakarian. Reason: Is a cat.

Query: Why?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 04:20:20 pm »

Why so eager? Well, we need to get rid of the dopps for a start.

Most feared Scum team?
I think a couple of strong players, (Webadict, Panda or Dakarian for example) with a few minor, lurky players, (Org or Neruz). That way, you would have the strong players who are able to lead the town and the lurkier players who can avoid detection and not get NK.

While were here, Same question to you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 04:24:12 pm »

I would actually be more worried about a scumteam made up of all new players, because they would be a complete unknown.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:30:02 pm »

I am NOT a cat.  I represent Litia, who's the Paranoid Vig in my household.

JanusTwoFace think the new improved setup helps us or hurts us?
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:32:07 pm »

So, Pandarsenic, why haven't the dopps killed you already?

Also, do you think that 4/16 is favourable to the town?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 05:24:46 pm »

Jim Groovester, what do you have against cats eh?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 05:33:52 pm »

That was quick.

JanusTwoFace think the new improved setup helps us or hurts us?
I think the new setup will be cleaner and less prone to craziness than the last couple of rounds.

On the other hand, something bugs me about your wording.  When you say 'helps us or hurts us,' you imply that 'us' is town.  But what I hear is potentially scum player trying to be careful with his wording trying to sound town.

Could be completely off base, but it's still a feeling.

Question time!

Neruz: If you were scum, would you lurk or be active?  (I've seen you with both playing styles)

rickvoid: Out of the players in this game, have any of them been obviously scummy in previous games that you've been in?

ExKirby: If you were an Alien Scientist, would you try to find townies or scum to work with or would you try to work alone?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 05:40:28 pm »

Neruz: If you were scum, would you lurk or be active?  (I've seen you with both playing styles)

Depends heavily on what my role is and how much other stuff i have to do. If i have an interesting role (aka; a role that can do stuff) and real life isn't intruding too much, i'll be fairly active. If my role is boring or life keeps intruding, i'll be substantially less active (for example; i've spent the last 3 weeks doing a super-compressed short course on iPhone Games Development which has sucked up most of my spare time, i'm also suffering from the flu atm, so i don't feel very healthy and thus often can't be bothered using the computer.)

If i have both a boring role and constant real life intrusions, then i tend to go all silly in the hopes of making things interesting or getting deaded.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 06:42:05 pm »

Also, do you think that 4/16 is favourable to the town?
Although not directed at me, this has got me thinking.

With 4 dopplegangers, a couple of aliens, I will assume 2, that leaves 10 Town aligned players. If we lynch town here, and the scum kills a townie tonight that brings us down to 8 towns versus 6 not towns. If it happens again, we are down to 6 townies, versus 6 not townies and the dopps have practically won. Showing just how important the first two days are. I believe that this setup is probably more favourable to the dopps than to town, but it is impossible to know as the alien roles will make all the difference.
Sure you may argue that we have our night actions, but remember so do the dopps, and it is more than likely that the total power of our night actions is equal to the total power of the dopps actions.

Our discussion over day one will be very important with the scum hunting that is to be done. But if we can't meet a consensus, I suggest lynching one of those who is known to lurk and therefore will be the least useful to the town by not contributing to the scum hunt. RedWarrior0, do you agree?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 06:44:50 pm »

The Whiteboard
JanusTwoFace: dakarian
Jim Groovester: Neruz
Kashyyk: forsaken1111
Pandarsenic: Leafsnail
RedWarrior0: A_Fey_Dwarf
dakarian: Jim Groovester
webadict: Kashyyk
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49