Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Meager Bedroom is also a Grand Mausoleum (BONUS: Coins question)  (Read 1982 times)

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was lucky enough to get a Fire Opal Coffin as my second artifact (but I still think my cheap 24K head veil is more useful, as it made my clothier legendary in clothering), so obviously, I jam it in some nobles bedroom (specifically, my Mayor's bedroom). Surprisingly, it had no effect on the value of the room!!

So I decide to experiment, and made the bedroom a bedroom/tomb for my mayoral bedroom. I expected it to lower the value of the room (50% shared room penalty) Surprisingly, however, this happened!!

Yes... my mayor has a modest Quarters, and a Grand Mausoleum!! What gives!?

PS. I have never had a noble mandate anything before (never played much further than the Dungeon Master, and never reached Dwarven Economy, but this time I *will*), and this guy has already mandated rope reed items, and now he mandates querns within a season! I like this mayor :D Although I think the miner/trader is going to give him a run for his money at next election time.

(PS. Small additional question: The value of coins confuses me. Apparently, according to the wiki, the value of a non-copper, non-silver, non-gold coin is 10x it's metal value multiplier. For tin, this is 2x. So apparently, a tin coin is worth 20 copper ones, or 1.25 gold coins (!?)

It is a typo, and coins are *actually* worth only 1x thier metal value multiplier? A metal value multiplier of 2x would mean copper, silver, and gold are not actually special, so in my mind, a 1x multiplier makes sense...)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: My Meager Bedroom is also a Grand Mausoleum (BONUS: Coins question)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:39:48 am »

Assuming that the wiki is correct in what it says about coins, there is no inconsistency in the information. 

Coins other than copper, silver, and gold are trade goods with the values mentioned.  They are sold as collectors items and never used for money.

Copper, silver, and gold coins have monetary value, that is, they are used as tokens within the Dwarven economy.  This is independent of their trade value as little bits of metal.  These three types of coins are never sold as collectors items, so their value as trade goods is not given.  Probably it would be the same as for the other types but it is irrelevant.

I am not sure what you are asking about the room values.  The value of the bedroom went up.  What is the value of the tomb if you undefine the bedroom?  I am guessing it will be Royal.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 01:50:48 pm »

I would suggest an experiment: "free" both the tomb and the bedroom, then re-assign the bedroom and check its value. This idea is based on the fact that if you define a bedroom before it is totally dug out the newly uncovered squares aren't counted, though I honestly have no idea what will be the result.

Re:coins. As someone already pointed out, only copper/silver/gold coins have monetary value in the economy. Coins of other metals have a high value in dwarf-bucks but none for buying things in the economy.

Also, I'm sure you've heard this advice before, but... DO NOT MINT COINS. There is no benefit. Without coins, dwarves still have accounts with the same amount of money in them, and can spend it freely. With coins, it's exactly the same except that whenever they spend or earn money they have to move individual coins, one at a time. If they earn 10 coins from a job, they'll later - 10 times - pick up a single un-owned coin and haul it to their room. When they spend the money, they'll do it again.

The economy functions (insofar as it ever functions) perfectly fine without coins.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:03:43 pm »

Whoops... there was a typo in the title...

Adding the coffin did NOTHING to increase the value of the room (which surprised me!!)

More experimentation:

Without the bedroom it is a Grand Mausoleum. Without the tomb it is a Modest Quarters. With both, it is a Grand Mausoleum AND a Modest Quarters.

The room area takes over the entire room (At least, there are blue X's everywhere in the room, with a dark blue X on the statue, the walls, and the door)

[Edit]1 coin at a time... dang. That is slow...

OK... I was planning on having currency in my fort to give my idlers something to do. Apparently, it would give them too much to do :P[/Edit]

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 04:01:23 pm »

Also, I'm sure you've heard this advice before, but... DO NOT MINT COINS. There is no benefit. Without coins, dwarves still have accounts with the same amount of money in them, and can spend it freely. With coins, it's exactly the same except that whenever they spend or earn money they have to move individual coins, one at a time. If they earn 10 coins from a job, they'll later - 10 times - pick up a single un-owned coin and haul it to their room. When they spend the money, they'll do it again.
No, they take a collection of stacks that adds up to the amount they need. If they can't find a collection of stacks that adds up exactly, they'll split another stack for the difference. The splitting does mean that, eventually, you end up with a lot of individual coins, but at first it's kind of all well and dandy.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 04:49:19 pm »

So... just to summerise:

No-one knows why a Modest Bedroom can also be a Grand Mausoleum

In the dwarven economy in Dwarf Mode, dwarves don't use 'unusual' coins for currency (EG. Tin, Zinc, or Adamantine [If that is possible]), they take stacks of coins if they need them, splitting them if they need to, but don't combine them, and there is no way currently to combine stacks of coins, which means that soon you have massive stacks of little 1 db coins, slowing down the dwarves effeciency.

Am I right? If so, that would be much better than what is on the wiki now...

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 05:02:28 pm »

So... just to summerise:

No-one knows why a Modest Bedroom can also be a Grand Mausoleum

In the dwarven economy in Dwarf Mode, dwarves don't use 'unusual' coins for currency (EG. Tin, Zinc, or Adamantine [If that is possible]), they take stacks of coins if they need them, splitting them if they need to, but don't combine them, and there is no way currently to combine stacks of coins, which means that soon you have massive stacks of little 1 db coins, slowing down the dwarves effeciency.

Am I right? If so, that would be much better than what is on the wiki now...
don't quote me on it, that's just how I've always understood it.

As far as the rooms go, my best guess is that one room doesn't get value from an item used to designate another room.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 05:15:47 pm »

Actually... I might have made a mistake... I *may* have accidentally just *unassigned* the mausoleum, rather than fully removing it >.>

Oops.

I will experiment on my lunch break.