Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems Scrolling on Map  (Read 5948 times)

Annon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems Scrolling on Map
« on: December 01, 2009, 09:10:06 pm »

Alright, I've looked, tried multiple searches, and come up empty.  Now I'm finally resorting to the forum despite my reclusive nature  :-\

I' having a problem scrolling across the map in a tutorial I picked up.  When I first started, I could use the arrow keys to scroll wherever I pleased.  Now, the map acts like I've hit the bottom edge when I try to look around, and I can't move the cursor past a certain point about two squares south of my fortress.  It's essentially cutting the area I can use in the hill I'm in in half, because I can't get the cursor to the south to designate.  Also, things keep happening off-camera on the surface that I can't see, because I can't move the view there.

Is this supposed to be happening?  Whether it is or not, what can I do about it?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems Scrolling on Map
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 12:44:53 am »

... Check if your keyboard is pluged in?
Maybe you HAVE reached the bottom of the map/sides.

Maybe some weird crap is on.

Try using the number pad.
( 8 is up 2 is down 4 is left 6 is right  1 is down left 7 is up left etc etc)

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:59:28 am »

Dwarf Fortress uses 100% of one CPU thread, much of that for pathfinding etc, apparently.

On my elderly PC, when I try to move the view while dwarves are running around, it goes very slowly, and either misses keypresses or starts beeping (keyboard buffer full, I guess).

So my suggestion: When you want to look around: pause the game, scroll to where you want to go, unpause.

It also helps a lot to set hotkeys that center the view. IIRC the command is (h) for hotkeys, then an F key (F1, F etc), then "z" to make it center on your vurrent view, and "n" to name it. So for example my fort has something like F1 Gate & outdoors barracks; F2 outdoors workshops, F3 indoors workshop, F4 forges and smelters room, F5 living quarters floor 1, F6 King's Room, F7 catacombs.

Annon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:34:07 am »

It's not that it goes slowly, it flat out stops at the same point on the invisible "edge."  Also, most of the time it is in the way is when I am trying to designate areas, so the game is paused anyway.

It can't be because I am actually at the bottom of the map, for the following reasons:  First, I have seen past the invisible barrier before, when I first started the tutorial. Second the tutorial has you building rooms past the impassible point on the map.  Finally, the dwarves commonly run past the edges of the impassible areas in the execution of their duties (at one point in particular I had an entire squad pursuing a kobold thief someplace where I couldn't scroll to see them).

I have tried the number keys, to no effect.  The hotkeys don't work, because I can't move the view to where I want to center it in the first place.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:40:58 am »

Can you send a squad past the barrier and then use zoom-cre from the unit view to get past it?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:40:55 pm »

Are you using one of the d# versions?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Annon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 04:12:30 pm »

@expwnent: That's a really good idea.  I tried to build a wall (to force some Dwarves to go around said wall into The Forbidden Zone), but now it's saying I'm on the edge of the map....

OK, let's try something a little more standard.  Maybe I'm just crazy, so let me compare notes.  If I press <TAB> until the minimap comes up on the right, it shows me a 21X21 square map.  There is a yellow 'X' which I assume represents the center of my view.  I can move up until the 'X' hits the second row, which is the top edge.  Similarly, the right edge is the third column from the end, and the bottom and left edges are five from the end.  That strikes me as odd--I would think the edges would be symmetric, but they aren't.  It could just be that the edge has always been there and I have been oblivious, but that doesn't explain why the tutorial is instructing me to build rooms in areas that are past the edge of the map...

@Sizik: What's a d# version?  I'm using whatever the heck they have here.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 04:32:12 pm »

@Sizik: What's a d# version?  I'm using whatever the heck they have here.

I just read through the comments on that page and it appears that at one point tinypirate had an incorrect version uploaded, possibly you are running the incorrect one and really are hitting the edge of the map?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 06:51:03 pm »

On this note.

I have the "edges" on 2 tiles from the top
3 from the bottom
2 from the left and 2 from the right...

Is this ment to be how it is or am i suppose to be able to get the yellow x to every single tile on the mini map.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Annon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:24:32 am »

The version issue actually seems to be a problem with there being a completely different save which was uploaded, then fixed.  There was one place in the blog where someone reported the same issue I had, but tinypirate had no help for him, saying "yeah, that's happened to me but I don't know how to fix it".  Apparently, it is a recurring problem...

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 01:54:20 am »

On this note.

I have the "edges" on 2 tiles from the top
3 from the bottom
2 from the left and 2 from the right...

Is this ment to be how it is or am i suppose to be able to get the yellow x to every single tile on the mini map.
Yeah, that's how it is with the minimap, not the actual game-screen though..
As to for you Annon... I have no idea, I used the same tutorial when I first started out and never had any kind of problem.
My best suggestion is to download one of the newer versions(40d16 is the newest) and just make a test fortress to see what happens with that.