Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chill Pills  (Read 8922 times)

hughesdylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chill Pills
« on: December 02, 2009, 12:30:13 pm »

Yo. My very heavily modded dwarf fortress is ... hard. My high-damblock, arrive in packs of 20, slow as frack but deal hundreds of damage Orcs kill dwarfs. A lot of dwarfs. I have lungfish like carp that babysnatch and deal 50-50 damage with their bites. Oh, and then there are the raptors. The on fire raptors. They shoot talons. Burning lava talons.

My dwarfs breed in litters. Large ones. They still die and lose. Even with 200% attack and defense equipment. In groups of 50.

IT IS GLORIOUS.

That said, they get inordinately upset over the death of a single person for some reason. How can i mod it so that my fortress does not tantrum spiral as quickly? I went from a population of just over 200, to a population of 10 in one season. I counted the deaths. 50% of them were from MY OWN DAMN DWARFS. "So and so kills so and so in a fit of rage" etc.

I'm looking for a LOWERING but not a complete elimination of dwarfs caring about the deaths of friends. More of a minus -5 than a -50 to mood.

Ideas?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Chill Pills
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 12:46:01 pm »

I think (think, mind) that lowering the gregariousness personality will stop them from making friends so easily, which might help. Also, magma flood the map to get rid of the corpses to avoid the 'watched a friend rot' unhappy thought.

hughesdylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 02:23:27 pm »

Not exactly what i was looking for :/ but hey its a good start int he right direction! Ill just make them the most unfriendly bastards ever. I wish i didnt have to do that, but what are you going to do? Unfriendlyness is better than MASS RAGE AND MURDER.

The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:49:52 pm »

The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.

Clearly you've never been drunk.

hughesdylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 04:02:38 pm »

LAWL. oh how i wish that were true. Ive never been so drunk that i would be that Irrational. These guys dont get drunk. They get pissed. Litterally in this case i suppose.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 06:31:40 pm »

Also, magma flood the map to get rid of the corpses to avoid the 'watched a friend rot' unhappy thought.
Doesn't work.  Magma death is quite common in a lot of my forts, and usually that thought shows up in the profiles of the friends of magma-death-dwarves.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 08:19:12 pm »

If you play around with the personality traits, you can probably make this happen.  The downside is that your dwarves will be much less likely to marry, and thusly produce litters.

I once (can't find it now), had a setup that had the initial 7 dwarves, and every dwarf who came after, almost instantly, GRUDGE.  Tantrum spirals were *not* a problem.  Something like aggreableness 0:5:10 and cooperation 90:95:100.  That sort of thing.  You can add every single personality trait to the dwarves too, you're not limited to the 3.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 11:55:29 pm »

isn't there a [NO_EMOTION] tag?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

hughesdylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 10:30:30 am »

Actually guys, with your help i'm no longer having problems. They seem to get depressed and things now, but no where near as bad as before. I didn't want a complete elimination of tantrums, just a reduction.

After all. we all like lo.. i mean having FUN!

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 10:59:16 am »

Actually guys, with your help i'm no longer having problems. They seem to get depressed and things now, but no where near as bad as before. I didn't want a complete elimination of tantrums, just a reduction.

How did you do it, I want to mod at some point and I like some of the ideas of your mod (the masses of dwarves) so I would love to know how not to have tantrum omfg-spirals all over but just depression

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:09:23 am »

You're asking to be sigged.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:53:07 am »

How did you do it, I want to mod at some point and I like some of the ideas of your mod (the masses of dwarves) so I would love to know how not to have tantrum omfg-spirals all over but just depression

I normally go for legendary dining rooms, food, wells, and rooms lined with masterwork ropes to try to avoid tantrums (and then take the few who fall through the cracks as part of the fun), but I too would like to know what your strategy is.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

hughesdylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 12:02:11 pm »

Whell, sure. I just picked out the parts i changed, because my creature files (along with the rest of them) are modded to hell.

Code: [Select]

[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:10:20]
[PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:10:100]
[PERSONALITY:STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:MODESTY:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:GREGARIOUSNESS:0:20:30]
[PERSONALITY:ANXIETY:0:20:30]

Note, this doesn't FIX the problem, it just lessens it. I dislike absolutes. I wish trap avoid and lock-picking worked this way :/.

Basically, massively decrease the average for any trait that makes them more likely to flip the fudge out. This seems to have fixed things. But, Caveat! i am still in the process of testing if this actually does anything.

According to the wiki. The first number is the minimum. The second is the average. The last is the cap. Some traits need to be high, some need to be low.. But this, so far, seems like a good balance. Ive lost 15 dwarves this run without a single tantrum, which must be a record for my fortresses. Its also the first year. Bawls this is hard.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:04:12 pm by hughesdylan »