Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Job priorities  (Read 846 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Job priorities
« on: October 05, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

What the subject line says. It would be nice to be able to give a main job to your dwarf (such as fishing), which he always does if possible, and then one or more fallback jobs that he does whenever the tasks with a higher priority are not possible (such as hunting in the winter, when the ice is frozen; assume I don't want him to fish inside).

Currently if I give both fishing and hunting to a dwarf he will only hunt, as far as I can tell. And priorities would be useful in countless other cases - just leave every job at the lowest priority if you want the system to work just as now.

And sorry if this is already in development.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Job priorities
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

Not all priorities are equal, in the current system.

Some jobs, like hunting, fishing, mining, or engraving are very high priority and some, like workshop jobs, are rather low priority.
(except when you add a workshop job, then it checks to see if any No Job can do it and if so sends them to it straight away)

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »

We should be able to control stuff liek that. Settlers 2 controlled hauling priority by giving you tiles and putting them in the order you want stuff to move first. Very sucky system though.

We would need much finer control.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 06:44:00 pm »

I rather liked that system. And it's certainly better than no system at all...
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.