Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

More interesting digging

(1/3) > >>

isitanos:
I think that digging into a mountain could be a much more "organic" experience than it is now. So I'll propose a few ideas that I believe could help:- Instead of the standard 7x7 limit for cave-ins, each type of rock would have a specific resistance. The stone resistance would not be the only factor in cave-ins though; miner skill would come into account, as well as architect skill, if you want to bring in an architect to design first, for a huge project (i.e. 15x15 supportless granite room) that really pushes the limits.- For mining skill to be taken into account, we need to be able to restrict a certain zone so that only miners above a certain skill can mine it. And since we are getting some kind of zones in the new version...- But, I hear you say, how will I plan out my beautiful rooms? Have no fear! (Well, have a little bit more fear, but isn't that the spirit of this game?) There would be a new geologist skill. Geologists would basically go around, look at the surrounding terrain, walls, tap the walls with their picks, and take guesses at which kind of materials surround you, and in which directions the ore veins are heading. The quality of the guesses, and how far they can predict the nature of the rock, depends on their skill. Bringing a good geologist with you would really be a bonus to start your fortress.- The miners could be a bit smarter when digging in completely unknown terrain, and start with long shafts to see what material they are encountering, then enlarge them, and so on. This would be a replacement of the digging AI that currently selects a random square to dig next. Alternatively, the player could just be a little more prudent at the beginning, and try pushing his luck more and more as his dwarves become more experienced.- It would also help if the different rock zones were a bit larger, so you don't change between materials so quickly.- Collapsing itself could be somewhat more subtle: instead of inevitable collapsing as soon as you reach a certain limit, you would have a gradually greater chance of the ceiling falling down as you go further from safe limits. The collapse would also happen much slower if you just went over the limit, than if you went way over it. That would leave you ample time to be warned by your dwarves' thoughts, and some messages about cracking and rumbling in the mine. Ample time to build supports!- The game could warn you visually by marking in red the sections that are potentially too large and dangerous.- This would open potential for Fey Moods for miners: right now I haven't seen them get one. Just like other dwarves ask for materials, they would ask for a never-before-seen digging project, so that they can show off their skill. If you don't want them to go crazy, you'll have to designate a mining area way beyond the safety limits, and assign it to them and only them. Then, wait and see what they come up with (and hope that they know what they are doing). The result would be a huge room - a named "artifact room" with a nice description, which wouldn't necessarily use all the digging space allowed, but could have an interesting shape. Most of the time the room would also have a special purpose, such as a great dining room, a temple, a throne's room, a tomb, a room, and so on. If you use it for any other purpose they'll get upset. They would propably engrave and decorate the room with various items, and make nice doors for it.

Savok:
I think, really not sure though, that in this version there is a false up-down: You do go deeper into the mountain, you do dig too deep, and the mountain reveal.exe-ed viewed from a distance looks like it has strata of rock in it.

Eagleon:
I like the idea for "artifact" rooms, at least. You could generate them fractally, or have predefined vaults like in Angband. Later, they could add yet another layer of depth to magic - a summoning chamber, maybe, or a sort of trap for incorporeal creatures (once they wander in, they can't leave). Or they could be impossible to dig into, so that you could use them as mini-fortresses, or the base level of a castle.I don't think room size should be limited by the skill of your miners, though. Their speed is frustrating enough, and the last thing I'd want to experience is for my multi-level architectural masterpiece to come crashing down because someone forgot to shore up a pumice wall.

Capntastic:
These are all interesting ideas that A:  Have been suggested many times before, or B: in planning.   Even the blinking red warning for when you're about to hit lava or water is implemented in the new version.

Tamren:
Geologists would have to be accompanied by some form of structural engineer. Of course this would give architects something to do, they are usually nto very busy.If a geologist knows that a roof can collapse, it would be the engineers job to make sure it doesnt, either by supporting it or shaping it in such a way that it can support itself. Arches are a good example.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version