Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 6: End - End of an Age  (Read 46840 times)

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Beginner's Mafia 6: End - End of an Age
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:43:41 pm »

So begins YET another Beginner's Mafia. 

The Rules:

You may NOT PM to anyone except to me or from one mafia member to another.  Furthermore, ALL discussion about this game, even indirectly, can only occur in this thread.

All votes must be colored red.  To avoid confusion, only use that color when you are voting for someone.  You must also Unvote before you vote for another.  If you do NOT unvote, your new vote will NOT count.  No Lynch votes are allowed.

"Days" will last for 2 RL days.  Nights will last 24 hours or until all night roles have been sent to me.  The deadline will be posted regularly and I retain the ability to hurry the deadline for inactivity or extend the deadline if enough request it.  Note that any deadline that falls on a weekend will be pushed back to the following Monday.  Note that you may request to extend or shorten the day.

Upon deadline, the player with the most votes will be lynched.  If there is a tie, there will be no lynch. Once dead, you may not speak or PM anyone about the game, living or otherwise.  A Dead chat will be made available.

Mafia will be given their own Chat to speak to one another once roles have been sent.

Bolded sentences can be used to catch my attention.  Italics used by me is story text, or "flavor" as they call it, and is just there to be interesting.  Note you are free to apply flavor as you wish.  Note that the flavor has nothing to do with the actual gameplay and can be ignored if desired.

Do NOT quote my PM text and do NOT edit your posts (you can double post if you need to)

Lastly any suggestion of breaking a rule in the main chat will be treated as the rule already broken.  If you have any questions or wish to make sure of the legality of an action, PM me first.

You can, of course, ask any questions you may have.

These are the Roles that may appear in the game:

Townsperson: The basic town role. Your goal is to help the town lynch all of the mafia players. You win as long as the town wins.

Mafia: The basic antagonist role. You and the other Mafia players work together to kill off the townspeople. During the day, you pretend to be normal townspeople and voting on who is to be lynched. During the night, you will tell me the name of the player you wish to kill along with which of you will kill them. You win once you have greater than or equal to the number of town aligned players.

Mafia Roleblocker: Similar to the mafia.  However, in nights when you are not the one assigned to kill, you may choose one person for yourself.  The person you choose will be unable to perform their night action.  Note that the Doctor will not know if they have been blocked, but the Cop will know.  You will not be informed if you had blocked an actual action.

Mafia Godfather:  Similar to the mafia.  However, when investigated by the cop, they will show up as an innocent townsperson.

Cop: An honest cop, he may choose one player each night to investigate. He will then learn if that player is Mafia or Town.

Doctor: The doctor may choose one player each night to protect from the mafia's night kill.  Note that neither you nor the mafia will know if the kill had been stopped by your action.

Players:
1.  CobaltKobold
2.  MagmaDeath
3.  SirBayer
4.  Org
5.  Errol 
6.  Nirur Torir
7.  GlyphGryph
8.  Rooster
9.  LASD

ICs:
Town: Pandarsenic
Mafia: Vector
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:06:27 pm by dakarian »
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 6: Story
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:51:17 pm »

First, the biggest note: Flavor text is JUST for appearance!  You can safely ignore it completely and just play the game normally.  There is no special effects, abilities, or issues that will show up here.  Townies are townies, mafias are mafias, cops are cops, and so on.  The flavor text is just there for the hey of it.

Thus if you don't want to bother with the flavoring, you're done reading and can skip everything else on this post.

For everyone else:

The wheel of time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.  Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.  In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the the skies above Tar Valon.  The wind is not the beginning.  There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time.  But it was a beginning.

Down the wind traveled along a bone white tower which dwarfed the buildings surrounding it.  The wind reached the large front gates and doubled back on itself as if attempting to escape notice.  Indeed, few who had business here came within sight of the White Tower.  Those that resided here wield a great and terrifying power.

Within the grandiose hallways and rooms were wielders of the One Power, known as Aes Sedai.  Dedicated to their craft and, some say, their control over the rulers of the world, they each vary from each other in bloodline, appearance, and personality excluding a few traits.  For one, it is impossible to place an age to their face even when they carry white in their hair.  For another, every one of them is a woman: no male has carried the name of Aes Sedai  in thousands of years.  Beyond this, they each differ even in their world outlook: this is shown by the different societies, known as Ajahs, who hold a different way of viewing the world.

Of the Ajahs, 7 are known publicly: Red, Blue, White, Brown, Grey, Green, and Yellow.  Although all Aes Sedai, the different groups argue and bicker between each other, at times viewing each other as enemies.  Excluding formal occasions, it takes a great need to have members of each Ajah joining together for a single cause.

More Flavor-based notes:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:46:04 pm by dakarian »
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 6: Story
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:44:44 pm »

Jacquin, lean woman with hair so blond it nearly looked silver, cleared her throat.  She shared the small unadorned room with 11 others.  A gray shawl rested on her shoulders, marking her as a member of the Grey Ajah.  Once the room remained silent, the silver blond Aes Sedai began, "We were all summoned to this room due to one incident: we were all with Litia when she lost her life.  The Yellows were quick to find the reason of the death of one of their own and the cause is clear-she was strangled with the One Power."  Outrage and shock came from the others.  All Aes Sedai are literally bound to an oath not to use the Power as a weapon except against evil or in self defense.  Although all knew this, some outright said as much anyway.

Jacquin visibly steeled herself before continuing, "Yes, we are bound to never be able to act in such a way.  However, there are some among us that can.  We have been summoned to find them." 

Even if indirectly said, such a thing is difficult for any Aes Sedai to say.  The truth, however, is that among the 7 Ajahs lies a hidden eighth: the Black Ajah, dedicated to the Shadow.  Very little is known of them, but what is known is enough: only they may be able to kill with the One Power in cold blood.  Now, somewhere among the group within the room, lies two such killers. 

They must be found, before they succeed in killing again.
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 6: Day 1 - In the White Tower
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:48:00 pm »

It is now day.

Survivors

CobaltKobold
MagmaDeath
SirBayer
Org
Errol
Nirur Torir
GlyphGryph
Rooster
LASD

Deadline: Tuesday, 9pm EST

You may now begin.
I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:55:09 pm »

Vector is scum. And he's female. That's like four times as evil as any other person here.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:04:34 am »

Pandarsenic is always scum

what th-Pandarsenic, you're not playing. :P Don't confuse. Bad as town IC. And I'm female.

It'd be nice to link to this thread from the first and/or lastposts of the discussion thread.

LASD, you are scum who would masquerade as WASD. Who are your favorite scumbuddies and why? Limit to this game, if you please.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:17:29 am »

HOLY SHIT A ROOSTER

Who would YOUR favorite scumbuddies be?
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 12:47:59 am »

Nirur Torir
Who do you think would make the best scum?
Limit it to this game
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 01:10:18 am »

Sorry, I'm an IC though. So is Vector. Vector is scum IC, thus the joke.

I'm not even sure how I fit in flavorwise-

Faux-edit: I have been flavor'd in. But yeah, I'm your temporarily-female IC.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 02:07:05 am »

Sir Bayer: My ultra male nickname means nothing. See my long hair?
PS I'm a tranny jk

Cobald Kobold cause (s)he's the best

Glyph Gryph your avatar.... eigher you're a woman, or a tranny

(don't worry I have a girly avatar too.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 02:32:02 am »

At all hours they found her pacing the halls, deep in thought, an earthworm among women.  She was like them but unlike them; an island unto herself, wild-haired, bright-eyed.  She knew what men and women were not meant to know: the beginnings of things, but also their unraveling death.

For all her life, she had watched life fade.  As a young girl, she crouched in the icy mud on the toes of her beaten leather boots, peering at frogs as they froze to death.  When older, she scryed in mirrors and pools of water, her cold brown eyes examining mankind's dying days.  She once found a stranger who bore her name, and watched with delight as he fell over a balcony to his pulverized doom.  He had been an evil man.  He was a lonely man.  She felt his death as though it had been her own--the exquisite pain of his dislocated shoulder, his stertorous breath, the slow fade of light from his eyes.  She delighted in him, and his passing was her greatest love.

It was an obsession and a fascination and, had anyone asked her, she would have named Sister Death as her best and only friend.

Why hello there, Pandarsenic.  Glad to see you're feeling womanly as usual.  Or shall I say... [CHICK IS ALWAYS CHICK] ?

That said, I figure I'll let your post from BMV speak for itself:

Step 1: the random-vote stage. You should accuse other players at random, generally going for those without votes on them, and ask them question (i.e. "who would be your favorite scum partner" "who would be your least favorite scum partner" "who would be your least favorite scumteam" "which of the roles in this game would you like most" etc.)

Your goal is to cause someone to slip up and do or say something scummy. Assume your side has no power roles at all when scumhunting, because you might not have any and even if you do, they might be killed or roleblocked.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 03:26:50 am »

We should grab Dakarian's Guide to Scumhunting from wherever he posted it.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 03:35:31 am »

A VERY rough sketch of how a scumhunt is done (to help those who aren't sure now).

Step 1: When you have no suspicions on anyone, pick someone at random (I MEAN random.. some use Random.org for this!), take a glance as their past posts, and talk to them, usually with a vote.  The goal is not to kill but to learn more about them.  The vote is a "Pressure Vote", simply used to make sure they don't ignore you.

Step 2: When someone feels 'off' to you: perhaps you disliked their answer, or maybe they scare you, or confuse you with their text.  Perhaps they look fine but your feelings or your gut says something is wrong. Perhaps you see them do one scumtell.  Don't ignore it: make them your target.  Attack them.  Tell them what bothers you about them.  Push them, harass them.  Tell them how scummy they are.  Ask them every question in the book.. and I mean EVERYTHING:

Litia: "You bother me.  Vote Dakarian!"

Dak: Meh.  Why?

Litia: "Because you bother me.  Why are you pushing me off as if it doesn't matter?"

Dak: "What? No, you just have nothing on me."

Litia: "You're voting for Vector.  why?"

Dak: "He looked scummy.."

Litia: "Vagueness is a scumtell!  "Scummy.. how is he scummy!"

Dak: "He just is.. you don't have a reason to go after me either."

Litia: "OMGUSing now Mr.Scum?  Being defensive?  You also didn't answer my question!"

Note, this is Step 2: Litia doesn't feel like she knows Dakarian is scum.. just had a 'feeling'.  She has no hard evidence, nothing real.  The questions are to add pressure.. make Dakarian crack and panic.  If you did it right, they WILL town or scum.  WHEN they do, you will be able to see more of their true self.  From there, decide if you can find them as scum for truth.  If you don't: pull out and go to your next suspect: if no one else is there, go back to Step 1.

If you do believe they are scum after that, Step 3:

Step 3: When you believe someone is scum, gather evidence.  Find every scum tell, every sign of their true motives.  Pull more from them.  DON'T LET GO!  Even if the town ignores you or even votes for you because of it, DO IT ANYWAY!  Push, push, PUSH, ***PUSH*** until you have solid proof of what they are.

If you can't find enough to prove them and run out of things to say, check one more time to see if you still feel he's scum, then pull back, look at others (Step 2) but be ready to go back to them at any time.  If your convinced and ready to kill them, Step 4

Step 4: Final step.  It's time to convince the town.  Show what you have.  Push the target so they show more scumminess.  Attack, but do it only to demonstrate to the town what you KNOW is true.  You aren't trying to argue with the mafia anymore.. you are trying to show the town why you are right and Mr.Mafia MUST be lynched.  If you are at this point, only 3 things can happen:

1.  The scum is lynched.
2. You are given so much information that you become CONVINCED that the target is town. (no less than CONVINCED.. doubt, maybe, 'perhaps' won't due)
3. You are dead.

That's how a basic scumhunt is done.  One last note on doubt:

Doubt is something that's ok to have but UGLY to show.  If you doubt or have second thoughts, DON'T DISPLAY IT.  If you think "He looks passive but I don't know..."  you SAY "You scum!  Stop being passive!!!"  If you think "He may have a good reason to attack guy really." say "Give me your reasons and stop being vague."

Doubt is something for yourself.  When you have doubt, go back and see if your original ideas still hold up.  If they do or if you find yourself saying "I'm not sure" then go back to the attack until you are sure.  This ain't the USA: we play by Guilty until Proven Innocent here.  Unless you can get yourself to believe they may be honest, keep the attack.

So doubt is ok to have if used right.. but the town does NOT need to hear it.  If you doubt, accuse anyway as if you know.  If you wonder, accuse as if you know it.  If you know the answer, ASK ANYWAY and let THEM answer.  Make them convince you they are town: don't do the job for them.

And that's scumhunting in a nutshell.  Everyone, try to figure out what Step you are on and work accordingly.  Note that you should be almost done Step 1 by the end of Day 1 (though some may be higher by then).  If you aren't, keep random voting and consider an Extension.

If you don't know WHAT you are.. you're in Step 1.  Get to random voting.

Last note: 'Not voting' should only be done when you are doing a quick look over everyone's past.  Otherwise, your vote and your attention should always be on SOMEONE, even if it is at random.

It's best for a lynch to be for a reason reason.. but it's better for someone to be lynched randomly than for no lynch to occur at all.
I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 03:58:06 am »

That post should be linked in the opening of every Beginner Mafia.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 03:59:05 am »

1. O.o

2. I'm tempted to post it to the opening of every bay12 game.
I KNEW IT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28