Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 6: End - End of an Age  (Read 47375 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 6: Day 1 - In the White Tower
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 06:21:24 pm »

Not to spoil your fantasies, but we're not making out licky style here!
We're trying to lynch each other in a leathery and fiery fashion

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 06:34:10 pm »

That just means we're tying each other up.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 08:16:56 pm »

Current Vote Count
Rooster[1]: SirBayer
Nirur Torir[1]: MagmaDeath
Errol[2]: LASD, CobaltKobold
MagmaDeath[2]: Nirur Torir, Errol
GlyphGryph[1]: Rooster
Org[1]: GlyphGryph

Not Voting: Org

Deadline: Tuesday, 9pm EST

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 08:23:54 pm »

Bah. I was going to complain about picking somebody who isn't active enough for my first target. Then I realized that when I logged in at 5:30 AM to post, I picked the person who targeted me. [/facepalm]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 08:24:31 pm »

To ICs, I know that wasn't actually random, since there was a reason for it. Should I have actually voted completely randomly?

No.  You have the RVS stage (i.e. randomly vote for someone who has not already been voted).  Then you leave the RVS stage the first time that you actually have a good reason to attack someone.  So, if you have a reason to vote someone (even if they already have votes on them), vote 'em.

If you've got no reasons to suspect anyone, though, just pick a random dude and start asking questions.

@IC:I do wonder why one would do well for town to RNGpick, though it certainly would make better sense for scum so they don't exclude their teammate. Sort of a pre-avoidance of tunnelvision? (see: Pandarsenic is always scum)

1. To be like Toonyman
2. Because going through the list of names gets tiring after a while: i.e., the Boredom-Laziness Principle
3. To be like TOONYMAN
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 12:00:02 am »

I... don't get the toonyman reference. But explaining it would probably be too much of an aside, so nevermind.

Quote from: Rooster
Would you vote someone (Org, heh) if that person is a null-tell to you and hasn't posted in last 24 hours?

I very nearly missed seeing that question, (or at least understanding that it was for me). I'll try and think of GG as my name, but next time you should probably either write one half or the other or something.

It's actually a hard question, cause I'm conflicted. I feel like I need them to say something, but I also realize that I can't waste valuable scumhunting time on people that have yet to respond. If and when he shows up, I plan on getting right back on and pushing him, but for now I'm probably wasting my time.

UNVOTE Org

Nirur Torir, LASD makes a good point. You did well last round, so I was wondering - you were on the scum team that won BM5. What mistakes did we make that gave you the biggest advantage, in your opinion, and how could we avoid it this time around?

Jim Groovester, you may not be playing, but that doesn't mean we can't lynch you for spying, you peeping tom!

Errol, you definitely seem to be putting a lot of work into trying to seem scummy. Why else would you post WIFOMesque "notes to self" on purpose? What is your strategy - how is sitting back and making yourself look like a target going to help find scum? Aren't you just drawing attention off the hunt and on to you?

I'll be honest - I don't think your scum. You are coming off to me the same way Diakron and Jim did last game, and neither of them turned out to be scum. but at the moment, are are still far and away the scummiest seeming person here, so I'd like to see you explain yourself. Until then, you've got my vote.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 12:06:52 am »

@Cobaltkobold
Probably Rooster, having been in the same team with him in Sean's RTD for a year and in a DF Mafia a while ago. Other than that I can't say, not having a good read on you people, but don't worry, I'm working on it.

Errol, what is your favorite role from those in this game? And if you read the flavor text, which Ajah color seems the most appealing?

Brown I think. Knowledge -> Power.

MagmaDeath, will you be able to disprove that the random generator picked an incredibly stupid target?
Erm, What?
No, I probably wouden't. A random generator is random, and by defination can choose whoever it likes. It choosing me right after someone else voted from me was kinda stupid. Why are you using a random generator anyway?
Nirur Torir
Who do you think would make the best scum?
Limit it to this game
Not knowing most of the players in the game, and after a brief glance at the karma thread, I'm going to have to go with CoboltKobold, for having the most games played on B12.

MagmaDeath, if you had your choice of any one (applicable) scum role for this game, which would it be and why?
Well, I would probably choose Roleblocker.
The ability to stop a doctor from stopping their kills is much better than immunity from cops.
You can always get a cop lynched, unlike a doctor.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 12:11:15 am »

I'd like to, sadly, say that in Beginner's Mafia 1 I was one last-minute vote change away from getting the Doc lynched.

"Sadly" because I was town at the time. :/
I KNEW IT!

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 04:16:46 am »

I'll be honest - I don't think your scum. You are coming off to me the same way Diakron and Jim did last game, and neither of them turned out to be scum. but at the moment, are are still far and away the scummiest seeming person here, so I'd like to see you explain yourself. Until then, you've got my vote.

I have no clue. All I can see is that people vote for me because I did something, and that no matter what I do, I'll just end up generating more attention, therefore, more voters. As far as I'm concerned, everything I do is a scumtell. So I just have to see who has the fishiest reason for voting or not voting for me - last part's important too - and that will then hopefully give evidence. I'm expendable. The notes to self were an attempt to show people my thinking process. It didn't work.

Isn't the definition of random voting that it is random? Maybe I should have voted for someone else for an extremely tangible reason.

Ah, right, MagmaDeath, why didn't you vote for me? My vote stays for now.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 04:30:59 am »

All I can see is that people vote for me because I did something, and that no matter what I do, I'll just end up generating more attention, therefore, more voters. As far as I'm concerned, everything I do is a scumtell.

Unhealthy attitude.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 04:52:05 am »

Unvote Errol You're off the hook... for a while.

SirBayer, trying to hide in the sidelines? You scum. Share your thoughts on Errol.

P.S. Argh! Org! Get over here!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 04:54:44 am »

If Org needs a prod to come play Beginner's Mafia.... well.  I, Vector, shall cry manly womanly tears of shame on his behalf and then proceed to laugh myself to death.

Don't lurk, dudes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 05:50:45 am »

All I can see is that people vote for me because I did something, and that no matter what I do, I'll just end up generating more attention, therefore, more voters. As far as I'm concerned, everything I do is a scumtell.

Unhealthy attitude.

It saves me some nasty surprises.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 07:28:56 am »

I have no clue. All I can see is that people vote for me because I did something, and that no matter what I do, I'll just end up generating more attention, therefore, more voters. As far as I'm concerned, everything I do is a scumtell. So I just have to see who has the fishiest reason for voting or not voting for me - last part's important too - and that will then hopefully give evidence. I'm expendable. The notes to self were an attempt to show people my thinking process. It didn't work.

Isn't the definition of random voting that it is random? Maybe I should have voted for someone else for an extremely tangible reason.

You have it HALF right.

Everything that you do (and everyone else) IS suspicious to varying degrees.  Attacking a person with a well reasoned argument is mildly suspicious but being passive is very suspicious.  Attacking with someone is somewhat suspicious while agreeing with someone fully is strongly suspicious while trying to befrend and ally with them is extremely suspicious.

As for feeling expendable.. you got that right fully.  Townies are expendable.  Trading your life away to guarentee a dead mafia is just about the best anyone can ask for (the BEST is losing your life to destroy both scum). 

The way to manage the expendability and constant suspicion isn't to deflate everyone's argument with it.  The way to manage it is to remember your goal: to get scum.  If you can make every breath you do aimed at finding scum then you are well on your way to victory.  This includes encouraging well reasoned attacks done against you.  How?  Answer all questions, don't try to cover for yourself beforehand even when you know someone will comment on it.  Instead, let the argument come and answer to the suspicion.

As far as how to answer to suspicion, the one way that scum can NEVER do: with Honesty and Openness.  When they ask why you did what you did, have an answer and an honest one.  You had a reason why you did what you did (otherwise, why ARE you doing it?) even if you realize it doesn't work later on.  If you make a mistake, own up to it and move forward.  You are not just trying to stay alive (remember? you're expendable): you are doing the one act that scum CAN'T do.  If everyone followed suit, the scum will be clear like chemical waste in a clean pond.

Btw, the last bit, the "look at those who have poor reasons to vote for me?"  Grats on finding the SECOND reason to allow suspicion to fall on you: reading the attacks and using it as a means to scumhunt.  I especially like that you struck at the passive one rather than those who had reasons to suspect you.  Keep an eye out for Eager Scum trying to get an easy kill on you, Friendly Scum that always want to protect you, and Passive Scum that try to hide in the sidelines.

As for the Randomvote matter.  It's Tradition to vote for someone who doesn't have a vote on them.  The POINT to RVS, though, is to start discussion, which will give you the evidence you need for real attacks later on.  If using a Random Number Generator (sidenote: took me a while to realize you guys weren't talking about a person: BM5 had someone named RandomNumberGenerator) results in more evidence for you then by all means, DO IT!
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 07:42:18 am »

Before someone runs wild with the "I'm expendable" bit, a warning:

I tried literally pushing the town to lynch me if it meant lynching the person I suspected most (idea: my death would prove I'm town and, thus, remove the "perhaps you're just trying to fool us as scum" arguments).  It was a risk I was willing to take.  After all, I'm expendable, and a life for a scum is worthwhile. The move didn't carry out fully since the town decided to trust me rather than lynch me, but overall I was able to focus the town against my scummy target.

The result:  Turned out my target was the Doctor.  What's more, to avoid lynching he ended up claiming (resulting in one quick vote switch minutes before deadline).  He died the following night.  What's MORE, my gamble pulled suspicion away from one of the true scum and destroyed the conversation afterwards on that day (instead of attacks on everyone, the town focused on me and my target only, letting the scum fade into the town fully).  By Day 3, the town was a mess. 

So yes, you shouldn't fear dying.  You should, however, consider your lynches precious.  It only takes 3 town lynches to lose the game after all.  Gambles can and do work-I see it all the time-but be sure you realize you gamble with the entire game, not just your expendable life.
I KNEW IT!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28