Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undo rooms, stables and moving pets  (Read 2421 times)

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Undo rooms, stables and moving pets
« on: August 31, 2006, 07:56:00 am »

I know that it's not possible to specialize the stockpiles, for example to create a canteen where only beer is stored and not every kind of food. So I was wondering if it was possible or not to do other things I could use.

The first is undo the rooms. Is it possible to build a wall instead of just excavating into the mountain?

The second is about moving pets. For example I was going to set the door prefernce so that I didn't get horses and mules in the dining room. But if I lock the pets out then even the cats won't be able to pass, even if they may be useful for the cleaning.

I was wondering if you can tell a dwarf to move an horse or a mule in a certain room, so that I could lock there the doors for the pets and have some kind of "stables".

HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Maurog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undo rooms, stables and moving pets
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:51:00 am »

You mean something like building a rope/chain and assigning the creature to it?

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 12:34:00 pm »

No, I just want to build a room and move the horses and mules there, so that they don't roam around and make confusion.
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »

you can't really set preference to lock pets out to be dead honest..

because they follow the people and do sneak in..

i suppose double doors might be worth a try.. but i doubt it works either.

just lock them up in a cage... though what i want to know is... do they reproduce if you lock them in a cage?

Sophismata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »

By the way, forbidding pets the door will tend to keep out your horses and mules, but cats follow their own rules.

Dwarf Fortress - now with Accurate Cat Behaviour!

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 06:20:00 pm »

Argh, I hate when I screw the layout because of a small mistake or overlook and then there isn't any way to reshape a room as I originally intended it...
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Abalieno:
<STRONG>Argh, I hate when I screw the layout because of a small mistake or overlook and then there isn't any way to reshape a room as I originally intended it...</STRONG>

The good news is that Rewalling is planned for the future. The bad news is that it isn't exactly clear how soon in the future.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 08:27:00 am »

found out that thing about caging...

namely... they do reproduce...

downside is... the offsprings know how to get out of the cages (they are inside cages to start off with, but since they aren't assigned to that cage, they'll leave)

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 10:34:00 am »

What is the purpose of "animal" stockpiles?

I thought they could be used to put the wandering mules and horses, but not.

Then I thought they could be used to put the corpses of the things I hunt, waiting to be slaughtered. But not.

The stockpile is still empty and I'm still wondering what they are used for.

Besides, is it normal that everything my hunter kills is carried right into the "refuse" stockpile and only RARELY butchered to use?

That and the fact that mules and horses never reproduce in the games I'm playing. Cats and dogs yes. In fact I have way too many of them.

[ September 01, 2006: Message edited by: Abalieno ]

HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 10:45:00 am »

Until rewalling is in, statues work as a way to border off rooms whose shape you dislike...  they'll serve as a boundery when you need one.  You can also use doors in narrow areas, or put a door off of a statue.

But, remember, the only real reason to border off a room is to keep it from overlapping another room or spilling off into the river/chasm/wilderness.  You could expand a room to fill an entire hallway, and as long as it doesn't overlap with anything it would just make it more valuable...

[ September 01, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 11:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Until rewalling is in, statues work as a way to border off rooms whose shape you dislike...  they'll serve as a boundery when you need one.  You can also use doors in narrow areas, or put a door off of a statue.

But, remember, the only real reason to border off a room is to keep it from overlapping another room or spilling off into the river/chasm/wilderness.  You could expand a room to fill an entire hallway, and as long as it doesn't overlap with anything it would just make it more valuable...

[ September 01, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]</STRONG>

No, the room would still be worth less if it wasn't bordered off. A room is worth less if it isn't surrounded by walls/doors/windows on its edges.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 12:36:00 pm »

The animal stockpile is used as a place to store trapped animals, empty animal traps and cages.  So if your trapper goes out and catchs a rat, the rat goes into the animal stockpile until you assign him a cage somewhere else.  At that point, the empty trap remains in the animal stockpile until refilled.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 08:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Oboro:
<STRONG>No, the room would still be worth less if it wasn't bordered off. A room is worth less if it isn't surrounded by walls/doors/windows on its edges.</STRONG>
Yes, but you can just expand it to full as much space as you want, so the only real concern is if there's something in that space you don't want it to touch.  Expanding a doorless room to full the entire hallway outside is perfectly fine.

[ September 01, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 01:46:00 am »

horses do reproduce...

mules are sterile (only usually according to answers.com)

maybe we should get some donkeys to breed mules & hinnies

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Yes, but you can just expand it to full as much space as you want, so the only real concern is if there's something in that space you don't want it to touch.  Expanding a doorless room to full the entire hallway outside is perfectly fine.

[ September 01, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]</STRONG>

Yes, this is fine, I just wasn't sure if you were suggesting expanding it to fill a borderless hallway or a bordered hallway. Yeah, expanding it so that it's larger but bordered would still fit the definition of bordered, so that's fine. :P