Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Damn you, Armok!  (Read 35347 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Armok!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »

"Oh crap!! Dwarves! Activate the exploding leather, boys!"
Haha, sigged.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 12:32:57 pm »

when dwarves catch fire, it's the clothing item in their inventory that is on fire, not the dwarf.
So, does that mean a naked dwarf is more or less immune to fire?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »

I suspect an incorrectly modded or duplicate creature, which caused the caravan to bring " leather" which boiled and froze the caravan and your dwarves to death (since the boiling point defaults to a temperature of 0, which is about -5000K - yes, that's below absolute zero). Had you hovered the cursor (in "k" mode) over the "cloud of blood", you probably would have seen it described as "boiling leather".
That explains as to why sometimes migrants will explode in a cloud of blood, whilst being frozen to death.

And the many leathers lying around.
Screenshots of that would be awesome.

Yeah, it seems like there were antipode leathers in the caravan that freezerburned the booze they were bringing. Hmm. I got to learn how to mod.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 02:14:29 pm »

when dwarves catch fire, it's the clothing item in their inventory that is on fire, not the dwarf.

"More or less" would indeed be the appropriate term.  Although they don't catch on fire themselves, they will still heat up to the point of getting hurt.  However, moving away from the heat source will quickly sort that out.  Nudist dwarves only get hurt by standing in a fire for extended periods of time.

And as far as modding goes, " leather" and freezeburn explosions are symptoms of a mod gone wrong.  Terribly, terribly wrong.  Checking for it is one of the first things you learn with modding.

It is, however, remarkably easy to duplicate.  The whole process takes maybe five seconds, and then you're ready to create your very own utterly f*-ed up world where sun-worshiping goblins who live in forest retreats will launch attacks against the squirrel mountainhomes and their muskox allies who live in obsidian towers and praise the slugman messiah.

Plump helmet anvils and bat silk earrings are not unheard of, either.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 02:37:51 pm »

I tried to mod elephants to be available on the embark screen and it messed the world up so bad. There were rivers frozen in 14 Z level walls, when i started i would lost half my dwarves to spontaneous boiling leather that would appear without warning over the dwarf. The outpost liaison appeared with horrible wounds and was finished off before he could reach my dwarfs by the teleporting boiling leather. 

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 02:44:54 pm »

I tried to mod elephants to be available on the embark screen and it messed the world up so bad. There were rivers frozen in 14 Z level walls, when i started i would lost half my dwarves to spontaneous boiling leather that would appear without warning over the dwarf. The outpost liaison appeared with horrible wounds and was finished off before he could reach my dwarfs by the teleporting boiling leather. 
Hah, this thread is a goldmine.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 03:44:19 pm »

Hah, this thread is a goldmine.
Tell me about it.

Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 07:55:38 pm »

"More or less" would indeed be the appropriate term.  Although they don't catch on fire themselves, they will still heat up to the point of getting hurt.  However, moving away from the heat source will quickly sort that out.  Nudist dwarves only get hurt by standing in a fire for extended periods of time.

And as far as modding goes, " leather" and freezeburn explosions are symptoms of a mod gone wrong.  Terribly, terribly wrong.  Checking for it is one of the first things you learn with modding.

It is, however, remarkably easy to duplicate.  The whole process takes maybe five seconds, and then you're ready to create your very own utterly f*-ed up world where sun-worshiping goblins who live in forest retreats will launch attacks against the squirrel mountainhomes and their muskox allies who live in obsidian towers and praise the slugman messiah.

I have to wonder...is a world like this actually playable? Would it be possible to run a community/succession fortress with this sort of insanity?

It might be more amusing than Boatmurdered.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 08:04:23 pm »

Well, as the OP has clearly shown, it is possible to play in corrupted worlds.  However, they pose a host of new and utterly unexpected dangers and quirks.

It all depends though.  In some cases the corruption is moderate, and you can play just fine, with just a few oddities.  In other cases, dwarves will be replaced by two-legged rhino lizards, thus making the game unplayable.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 08:08:11 pm »

How would I begin to make this world MINE?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 08:12:09 pm »

Simple: Just find a creature, any creature, in the raws and copy/paste its entry.
Let cook for one worldgen, and done! Instant madness.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 08:24:54 pm »

crazy madness worlds seem like fun  ;D

What examples can you give of what i should expect to find in a twisted world?

Also do you get different results if you screw up different raws?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:36:47 pm by Raddish »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:11 pm »

Alligators live in houses. You will embark as purring maggots and thus the game will be unplayable. Your dwarves (if they even are dwarves) will be constantly assaulted by a swarm of exploding leather and will die horrible deaths. Everything will be ridiculous.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:07 pm »

I also remember boiling Sphalerite, profit apparently made the boiling point wrong in Molten Rocks, I don't know if its fixed yet, but I fixed it myself, I was wondering what was happening when my dwarves were dieing. ::)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 11:46:41 pm »

Man, that would make an interesting challenge fort. Half the rocks having boiling points of room temperature or something, I mean. You'd have to have intricate workarounds (especially if you made the most important stones and ores boil) and your fortress would look really weird, but on the other hand, you have an instant solution for nobles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7