Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Damn you, Armok!  (Read 35338 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damn you, Armok!
« on: December 05, 2009, 02:03:01 pm »

So, I've been playing DF for a year or two now, and I recently concentrated on reaching Economy Mode (I usually get bored due to low-fps (10-30)).

Since spring, I rushed through everything to fill up all the needs... I had 91 dwarves, and a good number of jobs done - but no Export Worth! So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

I had dwarves rushing around to get all my crafts to the Depot, my mayor included, whilst my Trader sat waiting. Everybody died. My population of 91 plumetted to 79, over half were greviously wounded and unconcious, and everybody covered in blood.

Then the swirl began. The trade depot was destroyed, the remaining traders left before even setting up and I could only stare in horror.

Luckily, though, I had a recent dwarf, a metalsmith, who had no friends and was crafting an artifact at the time (Turned out to be a copper earring...), so he avoided the... Blast.

~~

Morale of the story? Never mod the DF you are going to use to attempt anything epic. On the upside, I did finish the castle I was building.

Throne room, bedroom, dining room, all that jazz at Royal, awaiting for the king. T'was all rather large and 5 tiers high, including the roof, and the entire above-ground fortress was surrounded in a walkable, Fortified wall. The only thing underground was my food operations, which was also next to the sea-coast for fishing, farms, and basic bedrooms to keep from unhappy thoughts.
...Whilst I'm writing this, I may aswell gloat about my Steel bridge. Mwuha.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Damn you, Armok!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:07:52 pm »

o_O;;  What did you mod in, exactly?

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:11:44 pm »

Dwarven Suicide Bombers!

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 03:31:58 pm »

Armok didn't like you castle. Its not dwarvenly enough to build most of the fortress above-ground. Let it serve as a warning to non-believers.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 04:05:47 pm »

And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Sigg'd
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 05:05:32 pm »

I suspect an incorrectly modded or duplicate creature, which caused the caravan to bring " leather" which boiled and froze the caravan and your dwarves to death (since the boiling point defaults to a temperature of 0, which is about -5000K - yes, that's below absolute zero). Had you hovered the cursor (in "k" mode) over the "cloud of blood", you probably would have seen it described as "boiling leather".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 05:35:45 pm »

but wouldn't that have caused the caravan and its contents to explode the second it entered the map?

kobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 05:50:48 pm »

I assume that items don't "exist" insofar as game can calculate effects on them, until they're unloaded

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 06:13:28 pm »

awwww

i was imagining something like how wagons expode when on the same map as an adventurer

"Oh crap!! Dwarves! Activate the exploding leather, boys!"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 10:27:45 pm »

I assume that items don't "exist" insofar as game can calculate effects on them, until they're unloaded
Nope; when dwarves catch fire, it's the clothing item in their inventory that is on fire, not the dwarf.  The items a wagon is loading are in the same state - as items in the wagon's inventory.  So they'll be affected by temperature just the same way the clothing on a dwarf is.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 12:43:10 am »

OH NOOOEESS!!! The crazy king has developed kamikazes to punish the people who aren't crazy enough for his liking! Everyone, make a megaproject that will result in the deaths of a few dwarves, lest your dwarves be frozen by boiled leather bombs!
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 01:54:25 am »

Haha azzky, you got exploded. I only mod hippos to be gods among all.
Also on Eclipse, take me off the AvP roleplaying thing, I left Eclipse forever.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 03:57:08 am »

So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Morale of the story? Never mod the DF you are going to use to attempt anything epic. On the upside, I did finish the castle I was building.

Actually stuff like that can happen in unmodded DF, read the Halltraded thread for a dramatic example: The human trade caravan somehow slipped of the road and dipped into the lava moat, catching fire. It managed to reach the trade depot, which was loaded with booze for trade. Things got really out of hand from that point onwards.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 09:56:02 am »

I suspect an incorrectly modded or duplicate creature, which caused the caravan to bring " leather" which boiled and froze the caravan and your dwarves to death (since the boiling point defaults to a temperature of 0, which is about -5000K - yes, that's below absolute zero). Had you hovered the cursor (in "k" mode) over the "cloud of blood", you probably would have seen it described as "boiling leather".
That explains as to why sometimes migrants will explode in a cloud of blood, whilst being frozen to death.

And the many leathers lying around.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 12:15:13 pm »

-blank slate-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:58:40 pm by Vertigon »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7