Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sheer cliffs  (Read 4143 times)

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
Sheer cliffs
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:32:32 pm »

I think i remember seeing a few examples of this, sheer cliffs of rock (stright down, no ramps), does anyone have any advice on how to get a world to generate these, and how to find them on embark.

Or alternatively if anyone has an example of a decent one that is rather tall, that a seed/location for that would be highly appreciated thanks = )
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Sheer cliffs
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 04:06:49 pm »

I think i remember seeing a few examples of this, sheer cliffs of rock (stright down, no ramps), does anyone have any advice on how to get a world to generate these, and how to find them on embark.

Or alternatively if anyone has an example of a decent one that is rather tall, that a seed/location for that would be highly appreciated thanks = )
You want a world genned with a release from after the z-axis was added but before the big worldgen revamp.  I'm pretty sure that's 0.27.169.33f.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 06:47:03 pm »

Reading the devlog, it looks like the first time Toady mentions cliff smoothing was sometime after the 38c release. I tested that version and it has sheer cliffs, so it looks like that was the latest release with cliffs.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 06:48:04 pm »

I'm not entirely sure, but can't you turn down erosion and get sheer or near-sheer cliffs?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 07:03:30 pm »

Nope, in my experience the cliffs are still far too rampy to be considered "sheer". I suspect the game purposely ensures that there's always a path up and down the mountain when the local terrain is generated (the whole point of de-cliffing the mountains in the first place).
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 07:05:12 pm »

I think Toady set it up to where there wouldn't be any sheer cliffs because of path finding issues.  You'd end up with caravans and ambushers on your map that have no way of getting to you.

The only time I've seen sheer cliffs in the current release is with rivers digging into the terrain.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 07:26:10 pm »

Is it possible to construct sheer cliffs by mass excavation?  (And will those tiles that used to be underground now read as outside?)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 07:32:06 pm »

Of course, and of course.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 07:35:43 pm »

There's a pretty awesome map somewhere on the forum with a river cutting through some canyons...its got really high waterfalls!  But yeah, I have only seen big cliffs near rivers and lakes, I think...You do get small ones occasionally in other places, but nothing really cool.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 07:43:50 pm »

Of course, and of course.

Then the issue of cliffs is labor-solvable! :)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 07:57:09 pm »

Try raising the variability in elevations. You might need to raise the number of subregions allowed.  Now look for regions where mountains are next to grasslands.  If you can catch the biome change within your site, you may get steep cliffs without rivers.  If that doesn't work, try turning off erosion.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 08:01:45 pm »

Try raising the variability in elevations. You might need to raise the number of subregions allowed.  Now look for regions where mountains are next to grasslands.  If you can catch the biome change within your site, you may get steep cliffs without rivers.  If that doesn't work, try turning off erosion.

You haven't actually tried these, have you?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 08:34:56 pm »

You haven't actually tried these, have you?

Yes.   ;)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 08:56:12 pm »

one thing that i did once with a world is turn off the param, "periodicaly erode extreme cliffs" or something like that. I don't rember seeing many shear cliff at the fortress i was on, but on the map looking at elevations there seemed to be a higher ammount of 'steep' cliffs.
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 09:10:26 pm »

That will make things steeper, but it will never make actual sheer cliffs.   Untelligent is right, outside of rivers and other map features natural cliffs don't exist in the current version (but will in the next).
Pages: [1] 2