Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invaded by... unicorns?  (Read 1355 times)

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invaded by... unicorns?
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:23:27 am »

I was happily playing my fort when I received my annual notice that an ambush party had been spotted (I've been at war with the elves since worldgen) and when I took a look, all 16 invaders were unicorns. I have not modded my game at all (don't even use d#), so it strikes me as odd that I am apparently being invaded by a benign, nonsapient species. The wiki says that elves will sometimes attack while riding unicorns, but I don't see any actual elves in the unit listing. Has this happened to anyone else? Have I finally killed every elf in this world or am I just not viewing riders properly? I'm probably just going to let them charge my cage traps and see if I can tame invader unicorns... or maybe just throw them into a deep hole and make a suit out of their skin. Probably both.

EDIT:
A second ambush alert was triggered as I brought the military in to deal with this unicorn invasion that caused the riders to appear properly. This only happened after one of my marksdwarves managed to kill a unicorn. Odd.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:42:02 am by HLBeta »
... and then it explodes!

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
Re: Invaded by... unicorns?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:36:04 am »

Could it be that the elves are cavalry and their mounts are not invisible to you?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:49:45 am »

I think we don't give Elves enough badass credit.  They're such awesome ninjas that they can actually be completely invisible while riding a unicorn.  And what's more, they can remain invisible even though their opponents can clearly see their mounts.  I think they use wooden equipment just because it'd be so insanely unfair to their enemies otherwise.

Actually, I have a rather controversial theory about Elves in this game.  The reason they ask such unreasonable terms is because they LIKE war, and are actually hoping that the Dwarves will engage in open hostility against them so they can show off how badass they are.  The only reason they keep losing so badly is because their ingrained sense of fairness keeps them from equipping metal and completely dominating everything.
Sanity is for the weak.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 03:03:13 am »

Yes they are stealthed/ sneaking/ ambushing elves riding completely visible unicorns. They ARE that sneaky.

I dunno if elves like war, but I know they are not exceptionally good at war. Worldgen elves consistantly lose any war they wage and elves kinda I think its just their wacky morality that drives them to declare wars they have almost no hope of winning.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 03:07:57 am »

I like my theory that the ingrained sense of fairness in the Elven people (as well as their total lack of metallurgy and insanely inflated egos) is what causes them to charge headlong into combat wearing basically nothing but their skivvies.  Clearly Elf Kings of Dwarves are the ones who have realized that their people are morons for this and that their bloodlust would be far better satisfied if they were part of a race that actually understood the concept of proper equipment having an impact on success in battle.
Sanity is for the weak.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:36:02 am »

I think we don't give Elves enough badass credit.  They're such awesome ninjas that they can actually be completely invisible while riding a unicorn.  And what's more, they can remain invisible even though their opponents can clearly see their mounts.  I think they use wooden equipment just because it'd be so insanely unfair to their enemies otherwise.

Actually, I have a rather controversial theory about Elves in this game.  The reason they ask such unreasonable terms is because they LIKE war, and are actually hoping that the Dwarves will engage in open hostility against them so they can show off how badass they are.  The only reason they keep losing so badly is because their ingrained sense of fairness keeps them from equipping metal and completely dominating everything.

Oh, SkyRender...we've got a special lever we've designated to be pulled, just by you! It's located over atop the magma pipe. Just pull it a few times; that's all we need of you.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:21:29 am »

Oh, SkyRender...we've got a special lever we've designated to be pulled, just by you! It's located over atop the magma pipe. Just pull it a few times; that's all we need of you.

No equipment is more perfectly designed for war than a magma trap, so I say it still counts.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.