Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #5: Feedback  (Read 44530 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #5: Feedback
« on: December 06, 2009, 10:58:20 am »

The fifth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.

The new email system for questions seem to be working well enough for now.

update: The transcript is up at the first link above.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:03:10 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #5: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 11:12:03 am »

Thanks for another release: Captaintastic, Rainseeker, Toady One, and Magellan (he is the one transcribing right?)

Ill listen to it immediately.

YIKES Scamps cut open Toady's Wrist and then snapped his neck... Fortress Talk is starting to get sort of dangerous.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:47:08 am by Neonivek »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:02:04 pm »

To Rainseeker: I'm curious as to the music you used just before the Q&A segment. For some reason it strikes me as exceedingly familiar.
!!&!!

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:05:03 pm »

righto downloading :)

lets hear how blood thirsty scamps is
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:21:00 pm »

I love the talks, but I think that the delivery of this one (for constructive criticism's sake) wasn't all too great, with the "like"s and "ums" and "yeahs" and stuttering detracting from it. Don't know why it happened, because the others seemed pretty well rehearsed, but this one didn't draw you in the same way the others did.

The Cat Attack in the beginning made it a bit unprofessional, too. Sorry, guys.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:09:43 pm »

The Legendary Liar remark made me laugh pretty hard. 

To Rainseeker: I'm curious as to the music you used just before the Q&A segment. For some reason it strikes me as exceedingly familiar.

Sounds like it's from Unreal or some other game that Alexander Brandon composed music for.  Or maybe some other demoscene guy?  (We're talking about the music at 56:05 here, I assume.)

I love the talks, but I think that the delivery of this one (for constructive criticism's sake) wasn't all too great, with the "like"s and "ums" and "yeahs" and stuttering detracting from it. Don't know why it happened, because the others seemed pretty well rehearsed, but this one didn't draw you in the same way the others did.

I didn't think it really deviated from the others in this regard.

When I think of a word to describe Bay 12...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:49:42 pm by Footkerchief »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:18:46 pm »

I don't see why the talks should be "rehearsed". The more fluid the conversation, the better. People use a lot of "stopgap" words like euh, um and like, but that's natural to human communication. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, unless it is overdone (an um that lasts over 5 seconds is a bit overboard).

That said, I still gotta listen to the podcast. Why are there only 24 hours in a day?
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 02:34:25 pm »

HEH silly me the transcriber is Mallocks or however you spell it.

Oddly enough this talk was the most all over the place. I am not even sure what parts were off or on topic.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 03:01:24 pm »

Thanks for another release: Captaintastic, Rainseeker, Toady One, and Magellan (he is the one transcribing right?)
Mallocks?
PPE: Ninja'd by himself.

Toady is savaged by Scamps! But settings can covered in "frontier vs peaceful place".

Counting fingers are different from places, I know (thumb being 5th vs 1st)

Some weird buzzing at 24:18, more at 1:16:10

Traditionalists might like granite, but rebels should change and like the new marble, until you get that as your site's preferred mat. And then, attract migrants who like marble themselves perhaps!

I think the phrase Tarn was looking for is "diplomatic incident". (Now imagine if the statue is of the liaison ;))

Religions/Subcultures: Personal shrines and items, also the whole "free time" thing could lead to someone putting a little shrine in a heavily traveled corridor

"Legendary liar" = great.

Gully dwarves.

(...It was Crystal Pepsi. I miss it.) On rollerskates, now that blades are declining, they're calling rollerskates - get this- "side by sides". ::) Or were a while back.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

People mainly oppose tutorials when they're not optional in my experience.

Sides-of-world: Permeable is funky. If you couldn't send off to attack them, would be worse, say. (I note the oft-suggested cross-region tile settlement came up...)

"intelligent pets"...slaves? You could also purchase "local guides", I daresay, with a bit more interesting part to explore, once the Trailmode is in, or e'en if that was merely simulated behind scenes.

Lack of liaison/official mountainhome support- well, you could get independent merchants showing up who chafe under the normal liaison-guided/controlled trade.

helpful link to mentioned boat topic
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 03:14:48 pm »

Ok, listening now, this is m scrible  pad for random coments while listening because I always forget stuff afterwards:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As always, thi8s was just Beyond Quality! ^_^ These podcasts are the highlights of the month.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 03:25:55 pm »

As always, this was just Beyond Quality! ^_^ These podcasts are the highlights of the month.
I think DFTalk will... not be the highlight of this/next month... :)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:28:04 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 03:52:20 pm »

Interesting podcast as always.

I imagine a unskilled tattoo artist painting his clients greatest fear on his body and the resulting madness to be a good source of hilarity.

mallocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 04:55:52 pm »

Just a quick note to confirm that transcript is on the way, but due to real life commitments will not be out in the next couple of days.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 04:56:32 pm »

Going to put this on my MP3 player and listen to it before falling asleep. I did the same with DF Talk #4, it's very relaxing! :)

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 05:03:39 pm »

Maybe other professions could do the tattooing and barbering in their off time, so that they'd be reasonably skilled from their regular jobs.  Like, engravers could do tattoos and weavers could do beardcare.  I look forward to having a fort full of <<Dwarves>>.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6