Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Building a bridge fortress (first screenshots on second page)  (Read 5183 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building a bridge fortress (first screenshots on second page)
« on: December 06, 2009, 01:19:58 pm »

I've decided to embark on my first megaproject, and preparatory construction has started. I'm building a bridge fortress spanning a gorge, but I have no idea how I should lay it out. I want most if not all of the fortress's workings to be held in the bridge, though the trade depot is carved into the rock and I'm fine with storerooms being in the cliffs as well. I was also planning to double-space the layers so I could fit plumbing in between - a whole-fortress mist generator sounds like a good idea to me.

So, hints, tips and guides on how to fit my fortress into a bridge?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:33:58 pm by Heliomance »

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a bridge fortress (first megaproject help!)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:49:57 pm »

One thing comes directly to mind, and that is to build from the bootom up, since building over empty space can be incredibly tedious, and not to mention hazardous to your dwarves. Also, I'd recommend using several z-layers, I think it will be much easier to organise that way.

Otherwise, go crazy! make it epic, with arches, huge entrances and so on!

Also don't forget to upload maps to DFMA as you go!
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Burtjoneson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 01:57:09 pm »

It may annoy you that you can't smooth or place any engravings, etc. :-\
Otherwise make sure you follow basic megaconstruction rules, and build the corners of walls first and the like. Remember that planning is essential, so make a provisional fortress first to pump out blocks. Good luck  :)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 02:02:29 pm »

I did one of these a while back, Legendford (map in my sig).  I recommend checking it out to see what sort of scale you need; I built mine way too small.

Then when you're done looking at that, look upon this and despair.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:09:34 pm »

*looks at Mountain-Banners and sighs*   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:03:39 pm »

Hmm, both of those seem to be a fairly flat bridge leading to a central tower which houses the fortress. I'm looking to have the actual fortress span the chasm. I have 37 squares across to work with, but plenty north-south, and pretty much as many z-levels as I want.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:19:29 pm »

Keep in mind that while you can build across the chasm, you won't be able to build into the chasm itself.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 05:26:56 pm »

It's not actually a chasm, I was imprecise with my terminology. I'm playing with the "You want a waterfall?" site that's further down the page at the moment.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 05:50:24 pm »

I started building on that site at the level just under the surface of the two equal-height plateaus.  I got very tired of watching my four masons build the floors bridging the river chasm.  If I were to return to that fortress I would make everyone help build, and just control access to the mason workshops.

Also, be careful about approaching the waterfall.  I "cleverly" built floor gratings to prevent carp from being washed down while I provided a mist to the levels below.  It never occurred to me that I had connected a walkway for the hippos to wander out onto the party area I had built on this outside/light area to prevent cave adaptation.  Then I accidentally stranded my mayor inside the streambed, which is only about 2/7 - 3/7 deep for quite some distance back up the stream, when I isolated the hippos on their own side of the gratings.  Even though I rescued him, he went mad from unhappiness.

The smaller plateau makes a great place for timbering, farming, and easily constructed workshops because of the soil layers.  I made the mistake of putting my barracks there also, because at the time I did not know that cutting timber makes noise for 8 levels down.

In the end, the lag killed my interest in it.  If you can somehow avoid that, it's a very interesting site.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 06:02:57 pm »

You might want to add an underground "bomb shelter" to each end of the bridge-fortress... without that, you cannot order "All Civilians Indoors" during attacks, and you must expect your civvies to take pointless casualties as they wander out to pick up dropped items or corpses while the battle is still raging.
Never pet a burning dog.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 06:25:05 pm »

The way I'm building it, the only entrance to the fort is a long way from anywhere civilians have any business being anyway. And as for the hippos and carp, after the fourth reclaim I got tired of them sending me on a tantrum spiral to oblivion and modded the raws to genocide them.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 06:29:45 pm »

Question: How do you keep your dwarves happy before their wondrous palace of delights is ready to move into? Due to the fact that I was focusing all resources on building the bridgefort and was trying not to mar the landscape with anything not part of the final construction - so no temporary bedrooms, etc - I'm now entering yet another tantrum spiral and I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to reclaim again. Halp?

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 06:57:19 pm »

Question: How do you keep your dwarves happy before their wondrous palace of delights is ready to move into? Due to the fact that I was focusing all resources on building the bridgefort and was trying not to mar the landscape with anything not part of the final construction - so no temporary bedrooms, etc - I'm now entering yet another tantrum spiral and I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to reclaim again. Halp?
Bring a couple dorfs with proficient brewing and cooking skills. The happymakings will help a lot. I haven't had an upset dorf before a fort hit 50 dorfs in a long time.

If you REALLY need dorf-happymakings, dig a little bunker underground for them to live in while building stuff. That may help because they won't be getting rained on so much.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 09:44:10 pm »

*sigh*

Succumbed to the tantrum spiral and reclaimed. Hopefully this time I'll get it finished. I hate to think how many dwarves have died to make this project, and I've not even built one room yet!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 07:49:45 am »

*sigh*

Succumbed to the tantrum spiral and reclaimed. Hopefully this time I'll get it finished. I hate to think how many dwarves have died to make this project, and I've not even built one room yet!

Reclaiming is actually harder than starting over with the same world gen seed.  When you reclaim, all dwarves are friends with each other, and they also seem to be harder to please.  Once one goes miserable, the rest soon follow him.  If your previous fort died due to lack of wonderful things to see/eat/drink, its likely that the reclaimers will survive even less time.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2