Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Challenge: Soap Tower  (Read 37794 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Re: Challenge: Soap Tower
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2009, 05:39:09 am »

Am I the only one who's doing it unmodded?
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2009, 06:30:55 am »

Am I the only one who's doing it unmodded?

If you are, you might win the prize for "Not Cheating".
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2009, 06:34:34 am »

I'm doing it unmodded too, but I'm constantly stymied by my congenital laziness.  Also, my plan relies on migratory animals that just don't want to migrate in.  At least where I can trap and breed them anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2009, 10:24:46 am »

Na, mines unmodded.
Not sure how exactly we are supposed to submit these... But here's a link to mine, complete with the game files I used to do it.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1687
Now for some pictures!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:55:59 am by alway »

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
CLOSING OF THE COMPETITION
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2009, 11:49:45 am »

Okay, I would ask all participants who want to compete: 

1.  Please place your pictures and descriptions in one post below this post!   No more discussion or comments please.  You can contact me directly for questions.

2.  Include if you used modded or "vanilla" DF.  There will be two different categories, due to popular request.  I will create the vote for them in two separate threads tomorrow.

3.  For those of you who already posted, go ahead and create a new post, for ease of access.

4.  In your subject line on this thread please state "<YOUR NAME>'s SOAP TOWER". 

5.  Feel free to use construction pictures as well.  Incomplete towers are welcome, but please put a note that they are as such.

6.  Please turn in submissions by 12:00 PST.  Good luck, and great work everyone!!!   :D

(I'm willing to revisit these rules, but please send comments about these rules privately to me, so we don't get a bunch of discussion where we need to see the submissions.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:33:16 pm by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Alway's SOAP TOWER
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2009, 02:06:09 pm »

Mine's unmodded. Here's a link to mine, complete with the game files I used to do it:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1687
Now for some pictures!
My tower uses about 4750 bars of soap, and is completely floored (not just a hollow shell). The hole in the ground it is in was carved out in the first few years while waiting for animal breeding to allow soap production. This was done to allow for a taller tower (the map only has 2 z-levels of variation on the surface) and the towers itself spans from -8 to +15. The fort used to make it is in the center of the map (the tower is on the edge) and has a population of about 70 dwarves and between 100 and 200 animals, mostly large fat producing animals.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:10:15 pm by alway »

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Alway's SOAP TOWER
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2009, 04:11:19 pm »

[Removed]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:45:08 pm by Zironic »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
LegoLord's SOAP TOWER
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2009, 04:45:45 pm »

Presenting for judging, Soapytowers the Useless Death of Angels! (done with modding)
Here's the map

All spheres, connected by bridges.  The screenshots were taken with the emergency lever pulled, while the map wasn't.

Also, no death traps 'cause there are only elves and dwarves in that world  :'(
Those come later >:D

Edit:  Forgot to say it was done with modding.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:34:06 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:02 pm »

Not submitting it for judging, mostly because the map is mostly a mess and I'm ashamed I didn't finish the stuff I wanted to finish.  But while it might not be the biggest tower, at least mine is probably the biggest bar of soap.  (Also, I didn't even listen to / bother looking for the official rules.)

Behold, Sosadish Uben, the rather literal Ivory Bar of Soap:

Unmodded DF, except that invasions are disabled.  I know that's kind of a big change, but eh!  That weird thing to the right is the mostly-finished faucet, which was going to empty into an enormous microcline-lined sink complete with elaborate plumbing system.  But I have to sleep sometime.  The Ivory bar is about 3500 bars of soap, solid on the bottom/mostly solid on top, and with big residential spaces inside.  Next time I want to make a maze of solid walls with lettering, I'm going to bash my head against a wall first.  The inside's not even fully furnished which is also a good reason I'm not submitting it.  Really, this was just a gag fortress that got way out of hand.  But on the bright side, it's the first time I've ever had a fortress with 200 dwarves!  (At 25 fps, I can't blame myself.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Hardrada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hardrada's Soap Tower
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2009, 07:42:24 pm »

Uveluben, "Bearsoap".  Brought to you by the Clean Beards of the Tour of Organizations.

My entry isn't significantly modified.  My goal was to make a tower in the form of a polar bear based on this image.  I think it uses around 1200 bars of soap, the vast majority from polar bears, the rest from grizzly bears; I could have produced more soap (I had well over 100 bears when I finished) but when the statue's done it's done.  The darker spots - the nose, claws, eyes, and (not visible in the pictures) paw pads - were done with charcoal bars.  Like Alway I dug a pit to give me some more height to work with as my tower is 20 levels tall.  I stored the bear and kobold skull totems I wasn't using to decorate my meeting room in the head of the tower, I wanted to use the leather I produced as carpet in the tower but the dwarves wouldn't take it out of the bins it was in.  I used ten dwarves and a little over eight years to complete the project.

Here are the images.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:47:31 pm by Hardrada »

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Vote!
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2009, 11:29:57 pm »

GO VOTE EVERYONE!!!   :D

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2010, 08:38:44 pm »

So . . . I'm guessing since the topics are un-stickied, the voting is over?  If so, who won?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2010, 09:34:03 pm »

So . . . I'm guessing since the topics are un-stickied, the voting is over?  If so, who won?

Well, the official announcement is coming from Urist himself when we release the new podcast!  Sorry it hasn't gone out yet, Tarn's been sick and I needed to take care of a couple of things.  :(  But it's pretty much ready now so look for it in the upcoming week, pretty much as soon as Tarn can put it up.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2011, 09:25:49 am »

from http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_combined_transcript.html

"McRainseeker:   Ach are they gone?! I think they're gone. Okay, all you diehards that are listening here, I'm here to announce the winners of the Soap Tower challenge. For everyone who participated in the challenge, thanks so much! My new soap tower is great! We had two categories. In modded, there were changes made to the game's core play, which is okay but we decided we needed a separate category for it. On the unmodded sound, it is just plain vanilla Dwarf Fortress, and you can turn off sieges if you want. So without further ado, here are the winners: On the modded side of things we have Hardrada - I don't know how to pronounce that, because I'm a dwarf - but in any case he made this amazing polar bear fortress, the soap he used was polar bear soap, and some grizzly bear; you should try it! It tingles! And the winner of the unmodded category was alway for his gigantic tower. There were also many other great entries you can see on bay12games.com; thanks so much for everyone who participated. Don't forget to donate, and we'll see you next month."

PS Yes, I noticed "Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days." but I think that this topic deserves to be completed, especially as it is linked from tvtropes etc and typical person will be unable to locate DF talk transcripts.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2011, 02:07:31 pm »

Linked to from TV tropes?  :o  Can you post the link?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7