Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Screampacks. Dwarves repelled, once again. Only 4 cats lost!  (Read 26716 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks, a Cat Splosion community fort! Sign up now!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 07:12:49 pm »

Oh? I thought she was going to be both. Let's just hope she becomes like holisticdetective, and doesn't become a cripple instantly.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 07:56:59 pm »

Zifnab, my cat will be handed the job of mining, but I think I'll give yours woodcutting duty. Gotta get fuel for that forge somehow, y'know

Sounds good to me.  If I'm going to run the forge, I might as well gather the fuel for it.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 08:05:47 pm »

If my cat is injured beyond recovery and can't spar anymore I expect him to be cast out into the wilderness to fend for himself. No burial.

...Actually, that sounds like an awesome tradition.  Some crazy game mechanic ideas I thought of: The fort could be divided between the fort cats who live lucratively and the castouts who make due with what they can outside. Maybe you could invent a mechanic where the cats have nine lives and get redorfed (err, rekittied) with the next immigrant wave when they die.

Also, I think I picked through the raw files for the mod and saw a [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag... You could make them have normal cat-sized litters and completely abolish the need for immigrants - and population cap has no effect on births so you could have a literal catsplosion in the fort and raise a massive army.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 08:23:26 pm »

Fortunately, one of the first things I'll be doing is making bronze armor for the two wrestlers, so, that should help prevent sparring injuries.

As for nerve injuries, I generally encounter a lot of them since my standard cat military consists of leather-clad wrestlers...
Nerve damage thus becomes the sign of a true feline warrior.

In your case, though, if you get nerve damage I'll make sure to forbid any coffins that get assigned to you, make you sleep on the ground, and put you permanently on patrol. Sound reasonable?

Lastly... Sapient cats do NOT have MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE. They do, in fact, splode in large numbers. You have, in fact, worked out my plan. Immigrants will help grow the population at the start, and I'll be sure to have a small meeting area and plenty of idlers.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 08:47:33 pm »

Fortunately, one of the first things I'll be doing is making bronze armor for the two wrestlers, so, that should help prevent sparring injuries.

As for nerve injuries, I generally encounter a lot of them since my standard cat military consists of leather-clad wrestlers...
Nerve damage thus becomes the sign of a true feline warrior.

In your case, though, if you get nerve damage I'll make sure to forbid any coffins that get assigned to you, make you sleep on the ground, and put you permanently on patrol. Sound reasonable?

Lastly... Sapient cats do NOT have MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE. They do, in fact, splode in large numbers. You have, in fact, worked out my plan. Immigrants will help grow the population at the start, and I'll be sure to have a small meeting area and plenty of idlers.
Cooool. Cats mature in only a year so there should be plenty of cannon fodder ;D

And yeah, that's fine with me. :)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 09:32:58 pm »

CHAPTER 1: Blood Red and the Seven Cats

From the diary of "Frogwarrior" Plaitedmelted, Trader
Late Obsidian, 300.
Well, we've finally almost made it to Screampacks. I can hardly wait - my tail's getting cramped with all the not enough room in this stupid wagon. The muzzles on the stupid dogs has kept them from that infernal barking, but they can still whine and Loek help me, they can still stink. I can't imagine why we needed to take no less than three of the ugly beasts with us. Even with the pittance we've been feeding them, they're still a drain on our less-than-ample provisions. I fear we'll run out before we ever make it to Screampacks.

Maybe if we fed them more, they'd whine less? I'll have to consider that if the noise drives me to the point of suicidal insanity. I'd be better off sticking the food in my ears than risking starvation by feeding a dog. Hopefully, we'll get there well before I'm driven to such extremes.

Thankfully, most of the other passengers seem tolerable enough, at the moment. The "Torture" guy is pretty unusual - he doesn't talk to anyone if he can avoid it, preferring to sit by himself (as much as is possible in this stupid wagon!) and mumble occasionally. Not that anyone can tell what he's saying, since he always has a fragment of bone in his mouth. But Amalgam asked him about it, and he said it's a dog bone, from the first dog he ever killed. So, not a bad sort. Touched by the gods, perhaps.

Bengali, though, is somewhat... unnerving. He sits with the cargo, and I don't think he's said a word this whole trip. I thought about asking who the idiot in charge of planning the trip was - we do NOT have enough food, and do we REALLY need so many metal bars? And 3 DOGS?? - but I'm terrified that it's probably him. He's not even particularly tough-looking... he just has the aura of "don't mess with me or I'll make you yelp like a puppy." Or maybe he'd just make me sit with the dogs.
Journal Entry Ends

1st Granite
FINALLY we're here. Good grief, my legs are killing me. And now, at last, I can get away from those stupid mutts.
We're going to hold a meeting before we go into town. Probably a briefing, since Bengali's the only one who seems to know anything. He'll take command, tell us what to do, blah blah. I'll probably be given the important job of carrying a bunch of stuff from one place to another place. I still wonder why they wanted to have me along; I'm the only one here with no actually skill at building anything. Though in retrospect, they probably need me to sell their valuable goods. Yeah, that's it.

----------

Well, meeting's over. And... Apparently, they chose me to be the leader. What the heck.
Of course, I should have known. With all my training at judging intent, I at least figured out that whatever we're supposed to do here is mroe important than Bengali is letting on... but I couldn't figure out that I was supposed to be their fall guy. Stupid.
And of course, I got handed a trowel and told to dig. Well, fine, I guess there's always time to learn a useful skill.
What a bunch of loonies. I'll probably just hole myself up somewhere and count, that'll show them.

----------

Well... On the plus side, Screampacks is very well stocked. Everything is neatly in order, every house has a barrel of (still edible!) food. On the weird side, nothing is out of place. Looks like everything is exactly as it was left 50 years ago. I suppose that may be normal for ghost towns, but, it's weird seeing a town that nobody's lived in for generations, and it looks like any other.
The strangest thing, though, is that when we set out towards our new home... I smelled sulfur. I thought at first it was one of those dogs again, but I was soon proven wrong.
Screampacks was built right next to a magma vent.
A bleeding magma vent! Who builds a town right next to an open pool of magma?
End Journal Entry

Embark items:
One [1] copper trowel
One [1] copper hatchet
One [1] copper anvil
One [1] rope reed rope
Seven [7] copper bars
Four [4] tin bars
Three [3] bismuth bars
Three [3] dogs
One [1] cat

DFMA map of the area, at embark:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7597-screampacks

And, just for fun, a little light reading.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:30:16 am by Frogwarrior »
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks. In which is discovered, the unusual location of the Town...
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 11:23:57 pm »

O_o

Well that's certainly a pleasant surprise. Or perhaps an unpleasant one if you count fire imps. I'd stay well away from that thing.

Pretty good so far, keep it up :)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 11:36:51 pm »

How's four fire imps and a magma man sound? :P

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 01:35:00 am »

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Be glad wooden buildings don't burn yet. ;)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 02:32:20 am »

Indeed I am.

Also, I would like to announce that I am a n00b - I completely didn't know or bother to check that bronze is 1 copper + 1 tin -> 2 bronze, instead of 2 copper + 1 tin -> 3 bronze. D'oh!

So, since I am a perfectionist when it comes to initial conditions, I'll restart - but I assure you, apart from the map being slightly different, everything else will be the same.
Just think - if I'm capable of making such a n00b mistake, how much chance do you have of survival?
Nil. The only question is, how long will you live?
Not very.

Lol, I'm keeping this. I reset, and the wagon started right next to the magma pipe... and the magma man started only two layers down, just under an overhang. Oughta be Fun.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:46:29 am by Frogwarrior »

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 04:12:15 am »

Indeed I am.

Also, I would like to announce that I am a n00b - I completely didn't know or bother to check that bronze is 1 copper + 1 tin -> 2 bronze, instead of 2 copper + 1 tin -> 3 bronze. D'oh!

So, since I am a perfectionist when it comes to initial conditions, I'll restart - but I assure you, apart from the map being slightly different, everything else will be the same.
Just think - if I'm capable of making such a n00b mistake, how much chance do you have of survival?
Nil. The only question is, how long will you live?
Not very.

Lol, I'm keeping this. I reset, and the wagon started right next to the magma pipe... and the magma man started only two layers down, just under an overhang. Oughta be Fun.
Just goes to show that perfectionism doesn't pay off in DF ;D

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 06:28:48 am »

Probably should let some cats get married, so the 'sploding can begin ASAP...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 07:24:57 pm »

1 Granite
You know, it just figures that the first thing they'd do is give me a difficult task. We haven't been here five minutes, and I've already been ordered (Me, the nominal leader!) to break some rocks so Bengali can build some structures. What's so dang important that I have to hurry? As if I can, what with this cheap copper trowel and my never having used one before.

At least everyone else has something to do. Natalie didn't waste any time running off to kill something big. I don't envy her; hunting is a rather unsafe choice of career. Although she does get to spend time away from these chumps. Maybe I do envy her.

Meanwhile, everyone else is hard at work clearing away furniture from one of the old shops so Linda has a place to set up her equipment. I don't see the urgency myself, since we're not exactly lacking on food, but whatever. I'm just the nominal boss here.

----------
2 Granite
Well, looks like we may have some fun here after all! I did finally break out enough rock for Bengali to get to work, although of course he needs more. He grabbed a bunch of obsidian and headed off right next to the magma vent. Crazy, I know.
Well, halfway through whatever he's making, he jumps back shouting that he saw something. Of course, nobody else did, so either he's completely insane or there's something lurking. Lurking in a pool of molten rock. I'm not sure which idea is worse, but at least I'm spending all my time underground trying to break stupid rocks into large enough stupid chunks.

----------
3 Granite
Finally, something more exciting than digging!
Bengali was once interrupted again, but this time we all got to see it. A wicked-looking creature crawled out of the pool and almost nabbed him.
Our bruisers, Amalgam and 100killer9, moved in to secure the area, but the thing slipped back under. So Natalie got the bright idea to go right up to the pool's edge and shoot down.
Somehow, despite screaming "DEATH FROM ABOVE!" while doing so, she managed to tag the thing. So of course rather than let itself get filled with copper, it lunged out of the water and grabbed her by the throat. Amalgam and 100killer9 were almost in time to pry it loose from her, but they didn't get a chance - she nonchalantly put a dart right through its eye at point-blank range. I don't think it'll be bothering us anymore. I don't think I'll be bothering HER anytime soon either.

----------
6 Granite
Finally broke enough rocks to satisfy Bengali. Actually, he looked more than satisfied, he looked like he was trying to hide how ecstatic he was. I'm not sure I want to know.
So of course, I thought I could take it easy, but no, I'm supposed to dig out some storerooms. One for food below the old inn, and one for bones and stuff below an old shop that Torture's taken a shine to. I'm guessing I'll be stuck with this digging job for a while. Figures.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks. Man, those fire imps didn't waste any time.
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 08:27:40 pm »

At least noone's been drowned/incinerated/mauled yet. As far as food goes, domesticated creatures with enough meat on them will be important since wildlife and fish are finite resources. Do cats work slower than dwarves for any reason (e.g. [SIZE])?

Pretty good story so far. We've certainly got some interesting characters.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks. Man, those fire imps didn't waste any time.
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 08:31:24 pm »

Cats actually work faster since they have [SPEED:700] the same as those poncy useless elves.
It does help that there's a couple thousand units of food that started in the town. Shouldn't be a problem for a long time. Still gonna hunt and such anyway though - it's a good source of both marksman and cooking experience. And leather, which I didn't bring any of.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16