Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Screampacks. Dwarves repelled, once again. Only 4 cats lost!  (Read 26717 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks. Man, those fire imps didn't waste any time.
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 11:04:43 pm »

Cats actually work faster since they have [SPEED:700] the same as those poncy useless elves.
It does help that there's a couple thousand units of food that started in the town. Shouldn't be a problem for a long time. Still gonna hunt and such anyway though - it's a good source of both marksman and cooking experience. And leather, which I didn't bring any of.

You should trap some wildlife with cages and start a hunting reserve where wild animals breed, so that the wildlife population doesn't get depleted.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks. Man, those fire imps didn't waste any time.
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 11:14:15 pm »

From the secret log of Bengali Thrownscour, Thundercat
12 Granite
Once again, my mission was temporarily set back by those thrice-damned fire imps. I was right in the middle of making some bismuth bronze for my Plan when yet another of the creatures crawled from the depths. Accursed beast made me demean myself calling for help like a mewling kitten. Fortuitously, the military was nearby and rushed to aid. Of course, when they arrived, the things had resorted to lurking below the surface like a coward, so Natalie tried the same dangerous tactic as before. This time, though, Amalgam and 100killer9 were closer and set upon the beast when it reared out of the molten scum. They set into it with commendable ferocity, tearing it limb from limb in the fashion of a true feline warrior. Its pitiful death throes attracted another of its ilk, who laughably tried to stop the carnage. For its trouble, it was given the same treatment. Their death shrieks amused me greatly, and I once again expectantly pondered the future glory of my plan - much more is ahead than the feeble cries of a couple pathetic fire imps!

Afterwards, that sucker I stuck with the nominal duty of "leader" gave me a few questioning looks. Shall have to keep my internal monologues and smirking to more private scenes. He's not nearly as stupid as he looks. I doubt he'll be any trouble, but if he messes with me I'll make him yelp like a puppy.
End Log Entry

From the journal of Frogwarrior Plaitedmelted, Sucker
16 Granite
Finally finished the bone storeroom today. I bloody hate this job, bloody spending all my time underground digging in the filth. Can't wait until I finish the food storeroom and can spend all my time indoors with the books.

I went outside for a short break and a breath of non-dirt-clogged air, and happened to pass Bengali smirking to himself. I haven't seen him this pleased since the last incident with the fire imps. Suddenly curious, I discretely followed his tracks back to his workshops, where I saw several bars of bronze stacked and waiting. I wonder what he's up to. I mean, it looks like he's planning on making something out of metal, obviously, but that leaves unanswered the question of why, exactly, he finds that so exhilarating. I think he's plotting something, but I have no idea what, or how long I'll be useful as a figurehead. My best chance is to lay low and hope he doesn't notice my snooping.

The other thing I noticed on my brief foray to the surface was Linda running out of the old shop, hotly pursued by a cloud of thick smoke. Apparently, fire imp meat warms itself from within, and leaving it for too long in a butcher shop made out of wood can have some rather unpleasant results. If you're nearby. Otherwise it's hilarious.
End Journal Entry
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:22:21 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks. Inn which great Plans are set into motion.
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 11:17:56 pm »

And in our third episode, our wrestlers finally do something other than sit around and look tough!
Who got the kills?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 11:19:32 pm »

Natalie, 100killer9, and Amalgam have one fire imp kill each. There's no more fire imps, but there is a magma man that, so far, has yet to budge an inch.
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 11:21:02 pm »

Yes. Leave it to Natalie to kill the imp. At point blank range. Booyah.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 11:23:25 pm »

Yeah, magma men don't really attack like fire imps. In my fort next to an elven retreat and a magma pipe, the four fire imps all launched around the same time, lighting a huge fire. They all died except one I'm keeping alive to cage. The magma man never budged through any of this.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 12:35:12 am »

Toying around with weapon-grade metal, pretty suspicious. T_T

Nice to see some more action, but I'm wondering how the cats are going to find shelter. Is this going to be a mostly above-ground fort or something?

Also, you might be able to breed mice and make little kitty treats :P

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 12:43:14 am »

Oh, it's very above-ground. At embark, there were 24 houses and one six-room apartment complex, so I'll use that for housing at first. Later, I may construct other structures, especially when nobles threaten to arrive - I'm thinking one noble complex and several smaller structures for plebians. Maybe even a few dirt rooms, but, probably not many.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 12:44:15 am »

Where do you store the food?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 01:31:14 am »

My character dug out a storeroom for the food under the former inn (which I am using as a dining hall). And a bone storeroom under the shop that Torture is using for crafting, since bones, skulls, and shells rot away if not in a subterranean spot, which I only learned recently...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 04:40:26 am »

My character dug out a storeroom for the food under the former inn (which I am using as a dining hall). And a bone storeroom under the shop that Torture is using for crafting, since bones, skulls, and shells rot away if not in a subterranean spot, which I only learned recently...

I hope that the fire imp bones won't be wasted on bolts though. I should rather have them turned into something a bit more...permanent, as a tribute to our warriors' prowess...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 07:32:37 am »

You means fire imp bone artifact platemail for 100killer9?

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 08:45:21 am »

Or an artifact fire imp bone idol more likely.  Glad to see Bengali is up to something.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 01:17:25 pm »

The fire imp bone is all in single units, so I forbade it - I'll probably save it for artifacts. Although I did use one of the six units already; you'll see what for son enough :D

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 06:21:27 pm »

From the personal log of Amalgam Graspsear
25 Granite
Bengali's finally finished the armor for 100killer9 and myself. Looks like decent-quality stuff, enough to turn the two of us into bronze-plated killing machines. He even made the outer layer out of bismuth bronze to give us that extra-shiny look.
He tells me we can suit up as soon as we finish the organization project - moving all the scattered trinkets to one of the old shops, clearing the furniture out, etc. Still no clue what this "Plan" he keeps alluding to is, but apparently it involves the two of us getting full bronze plate armor and sparring 'til we drop, so, not a bad thing. If they ever find me, it'll help to have a little more combat experience under my belt. At least, I hope it'll help. Maybe with them it wouldn't, but I'm certainly not going to lie down and give up!

Also, Linda finally finished carving up those pieces of the fire imps we slaughtered. Butcher shop burned down twice, heh.

That sucker that Bengali stuck with the "leading" position walked out of the food storeroom whistling, announcing that it was finally completed. Upon which Bengali told him to start digging a well. Never seen anyone go from cheerful to angry that fast. I doubt he'll try anything, though. If he does, Bengali'll make him yelp like a puppy.

----------
5 Slate
Finally finished moving junk around. 100killer9 and I were officially issued our suits and immediately set off to start sparring. Along the way, we passed Torture, looking mightily pleased with himself, holding his first creation. He'd taken one of the fire imp femurs and carved a lovely-looking blowgun out of it. Natalie will doubtlessly be pleased indeed.

This armor sure is nice, too. Feels like a second skin, only heavy and made of solid bronze. So, better than a second skin.
End Log Entry

From the journal of Frogwarrior Plaitedmelted, Sucker
7 Slate
I swear, I have never tasted anything so AMAZING as fire imp meat! An explosion of warmth with every succulent, tender bite! It's a shame there's so little.

[Interlude: DFMA map from this date is here. A few PoI's have been added for your convenience.]

14 Slate
I saw a very amusing spectacle this morning. Natalie apparently takes her job very seriously. She went out to hunt earlier, but didn't check her quiver, so she ran out of ammo while trying to finish off a deer. But rather than doing the sensible thing and going back for more, she chased after it yelling profanities, trying to beat it to death with her blowgun. What a riot! By the time I got there, she was exhausted and crawling after it, barely able to keep up.
Eventually, Amalgam and 100killer9 showed up and finished the job. Oh well, all hilarious things must come to an end.

Fortunately, I finally finished the stupid well. Now to hit the books. Besides taking stock of the goods we have on hand, I think I'll look into Screampacks old records and see if I can learn something about this place. There has to be a reason they built a town right next to an open magma vent. And later, why they abandoned it.

I wonder if Bengali knows. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
End Journal Entry
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16