Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Dealing with River Devils.

(1/3) > >>

JoystickHero:
I just embarked on a river map. It's got limestone (:D), two lairs of soil (:D), two layers of gabbro (:\) and a river. (:D) The river menaces with spikes of carp. (:[) I want to use this to my advantage, and somehow redirect part of the water into a reservoir under my fort that I can throw naked prisoners in to. A carp tarp, basically. But I don't know how to go about digging the last channel part of the irrigation tube (and a bridge across these terrible waters for the caravans) without my poor miner being eaten. I normally wouldn't mind too much, but you only get so many lye makers in a year. How would I take care of the last bit, and is there anything else I should know about dealing with these terrible beasts, aside from the obvious? (Floodgatesfloodgatesfloodgates, diagonals, as few channels as possible?)

Also, overly-complex traps in general. I was thinking of flinging the invaders sideways into a wall and down a channel by way of delayed-activation pressure pad connected to a drawbridge, but then I'd lose all their stuff, and I make about 1/3 to 1/2 of my iron and steel goods from goblinite.

Amalgam:
I think I've got a solution.

--- Code: ---~~~~####<##
~~~~#-....########
~~~~#|............
~~~~#-....########
~~~~#######

--- End code ---

Dig a canal just like that with an entrance nearby (but not too close to the river!), and make a 1x3 drawbridge the raises to the right. Make a lever and link it to the drawbridge. Since a wall separates the miner from the river there's no danger of the miner falling in. Have your miner mine out a tile next to the river, then have someone pull the lever. The drawbridge should should shut off the water from the canal before it has a chance to fill up to a dangerous level, and if your miner is still standing on the drawbridge for some reason it should fling him out of harm's way. That's one advantage drawbridges have over floodgates, they never get jammed.

Probably not the best way to do it but it's the best I could come up with. :P

Kanddak:

--- Quote from: Amalgam on December 07, 2009, 03:35:09 am ---The drawbridge should should shut off the water from the canal before it has a chance to fill up to a dangerous level, and if your miner is still standing on the drawbridge for some reason it should fling him out of harm's way crush him to death.

--- End quote ---

The tile that turns into a wall when drawbridges raise will atom-smash anyone standing on it.

Also, drawbridges (that are more than 1 tile in both dimensions, so there's a place to stand without being crushed) fling things in totally random directions... except for the direction the bridge raises. The bridge raises instantly and creatures are thrown over time, so by the time any creature thrown in that direction gets to that edge of the bridge, the raised bridge blocks them.

Dorf3000:

--- Quote from: JoystickHero on December 07, 2009, 02:45:03 am ---But I don't know how to go about digging the last channel part of the irrigation tube (and a bridge across these terrible waters for the caravans) without my poor miner being eaten. I normally wouldn't mind too much, but you only get so many lye makers in a year. How would I take care of the last bit, and is there anything else I should know about dealing with these terrible beasts, aside from the obvious? (Floodgatesfloodgatesfloodgates, diagonals, as few channels as possible?)

--- End quote ---

Dig out under the river as normal, then construct stairs aboveground and build a floor above the river over your underground chamber.  Deconstruct the stairs and the floor will punch right through the river bed.  If you really want to be a wuss, use a support too and attach it to a lever far away.

Practically all digging problems can be solved by smart mining and using cave-ins.  The problems that can't be solved that way usually lead to Fun.

JoystickHero:

--- Quote from: Amalgam on December 07, 2009, 03:35:09 am ---Stupid Dwarf Trick: Drawbridge Floodgate
--- End quote ---
Ok, I like the idea, but I'd rather not have a miner atomsmashed. :P If the poor immigrant is eaten, at least I may get to keep his pick if he drops it or gets his arm bitten off.

--- Quote from: Dorf3000 on December 07, 2009, 09:39:08 am ---Weaponized Cave-In
--- End quote ---
That is brilliant. And I think I'll use a lever, since the river is to the left, and the dwarf would have a pyschological need to stand under the floor while decontructing the stairs. I may have figured out my bridge problem, I go to a part of the water where there's 'just' Sturgeons and Longnose Gar (this is going to be the best drowning trap ever, I swear) and build the bridge several tiles longer than it needs to be, all of the extra space on my bank. Then I have an immigrant build it. If he's still stupid enough to try to go in/near the water with a five-by-three work area, he deserves what he gets.

Is there any way to alternate the flooding chambers without killing all the fish? I don't think carp fit through pumps, and I've never actually successfully stripped a goblin of his goodies in a cage trap. Usually I just take them from the mangled mess that was once his body.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version