Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2010 Prediction Maker (Ranking system to compete with friends)  (Read 29416 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

Ok... Netiquette = -10.

Advertising your own work in a related post without even commenting about the original work that generated the thread.

Just so you know... It would be cool if at least you commented about this thread before moving on to offer an alternative.   

Also... I just checked your profile:  1 post...  1 link advertising something that doesn't relate to the site... I don't want to call it spam but... sigh...

EDIT:  I'm still working on (investigating) to do the MySQL based site for the automated tournament.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:02:11 am by Alexhans »
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

dempa2000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

first of all - thanks for the nice looking spreadsheet.

I how however found an issue in the group stage where two teams end up with the exact number of points, goals for and goals against.
according to the regulations in http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/fifa_wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf the next rule to follow is:

"If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria,
their rankings will be determined as follows:
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between
the teams concerned;" (page 20; 17:6).

This criteria is not taken care of in your spreadsheet at the moment.
The following result can be used to trigger the issue:
Honduras   1   Chile   2
Spain   3   Switzerland   4
Switzerland   2   Chile   1
Spain   3   Honduras   4
Spain   2   Chile   1
Switzerland   3   Honduras   4

this gives a final standing with Switzerland at 1st and Honduras at 2nd even though the match between Honduras and Switzerland was won by Honduras.

best regards,
Deniz.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh no, you dug too deep, and unleashed the advertisement brigade. Quick! Grab the anti-consumerism spray, or else we'll get another infection of Nike shoe ads.

Edit: Alex's spreadsheet is neat, I may track the world cup, if it isn't too late
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks dempa2000.  That's a tricky one but I'll try to work around it.  I didn't even know that was the rule, it's good to know. 

smigenboger, it's NEVER too late :P 

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

I think that Ireland will win, but Krum will catch the snit-Oh wait. Wrong game.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For someone who doesn't know much about soccer and rugby, is this tournament broadcast on cable in the US? I'm sure ESPN probably does, then again I don't track sports all that often to begin with.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I'm sure you'll be able to watch at least the main matches in ESPN.  In latin america, they broadcast pretty much all matches save the most obscure ones (Directv supposedly shows all).

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well... I didn't make myself time to look at dempa2000's issue.  As the spreadsheet is built right now (really untidy set of excel functions) I don't think there's an easy way to do that.  If someone wants to try let me know.

I'm probably not going to touch this anymore since it's served it's purpose (I'm using it with my friends and coworkers).  Someday, probably on vacations.  I'll build it from scratch so that it's useful for future tournaments.  My intention was to avoid using macros or VB.  That makes specific conditionals like dempa2000's hard to apply without previous planning.

I never got around working with SQL but I'm assembling a big database from all around the world if you want to send your predictions sheet. 

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok... Following my excessive joy over the result of the first match (Exactly as I had predicted XD although I would've enjoyed a South African victory) I'm going to just release this thing with password so that you can modify it to fit whatever needs.  Do so at your own risk.  I warn you, it was not done in a tidy manner and it just kept growing in a wrong direction.

South Africa 1 Mexico 1

Version with password available:
http://www.4shared.com/document/zylzV6BN/World_Cup_Prediction_Maker_201.html

Password is : totalmess
Whoever wants to send me their results so we can make a big nice database of all predictions, you're welcome to do so.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got my own prediction system, based on recent match history and individual player performances. I thought it'd be 1-0 for Mexico. Not too far, SA did suck in the first half, but we'll see how well it holds :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

people usually underestimate the advantage of being the host.  Anyway, I think that Uruguay will know how to handle them and get the 3 points against SA. 

As for Uruguay France, it's a really tough one but I think it'll end in a draw as well.  The nice thing about football is that you never really know what's going to happen and one little variable can change everything (And there's so many).

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And...  Igot it right... Uruguay 0 France 0.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

South Korea just TROMPED Greece. They were playing as though a good performance would get them Starcraft2 earlier.

Argentina beat Nigeria, I was expecting more but Nigeria's Keeper put up a great fight.

I'm now happily awaiting US vs England for the lolz.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good game for Argentina despite missing so many chances.  It's a win. 

England's goalkeeper broke my perfect prediction record when he commited a horrible blunder letting a mild shot in as if his hands were spread with butter.

I'm out.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lol, I got 100% of my predictions wrong so far. Fine, I declare yours the best. But we've still got a lot of matches left :P

You're still crazy about Algeria, Japan, Switzerland, and Cameroon getting past group stage. Even more crazy for suggesting that Argentina finishes last. I hope I got the wrong version ;)

South Korea just TROMPED Greece. They were playing as though a good performance would get them Starcraft2 earlier.

Not that surprising, IMO. I thought it's surprising at all for Greece to be in the WC with all their recent performances. But I way underestimated Park Ji Sung and the South Korean spirit this year, expected that one to end with a 0-0, with Greece parking their players at the back.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:08:03 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6