Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spider Silk - collecting?  (Read 1407 times)

MrDannimal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spider Silk - collecting?
« on: August 20, 2006, 11:17:00 pm »

What is it classified as?  That is, what skill needs to be active for a dwarf to collect cave spider silk, and what pile would it go in?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Spider Silk - collecting?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 11:46:00 pm »

I think it's under "weaver", and it goes as thread to the cloth pile.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 11:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MrDannimal:
<STRONG>What is it classified as?  That is, what skill needs to be active for a dwarf to collect cave spider silk, and what pile would it go in?</STRONG>

Weaving and the cloth pile. Clothesmaking is needed to turn the cloth into stuff, though. (I recommend making trade goods and stuff out of the silk, and bags out of plant fiber for the various things your dwarves want to put in bags. All the pig tail seeds, for one.)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 01:46:00 am »

Early on I'd say using spider silk for everything is actually easier...  you don't need anything for silk but a river connection with some open area and a weaver's.  Plant fibers require farming, which is more complex and takes more preperation.

Once you have that going anyway, of course, silk should be saved for more important things, especially since you can't really increase your silk production very effectively.  But that basic silk production is simple to get started.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 02:46:00 am »

Well, yeah, but the very absolute first thing I do when I start a new fortress is use the outside river to establish a farm and start farming, then move on to everything else, so I've got a farm up and running well before I get anywhere near the river.