Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Dorf stupidity at its worst...

(1/2) > >>

SkyRender:
 You would think that even a brain-damaged lemur could figure out that it would be a bad idea to idle in a room filling up rapidly with water.  You would think that a supposedly "intelligent" life-form would have enough sense to get the hell out of there as soon as they were done building the water wheel that was designed to flood the damned room.  But nope.  On five different savescum loads to try to spare unlucky Dorfs from drowning due to their own stupidity, I've had the same scenario occur.  Allow me to expound on it.

Urist McCarpenter: There, water wheel's done.  I'm gonna stand back and admire my work.
Rapidly-Flowing Current: *whoosh*
Urist McCarpenter: Aye, it's working well.  Huh.  This room's getting mighty wet.  Maybe I should try to get out now that I'm in water up to my chest.
Backwashing Current: *floosh*
Urist McCarpenter: Ach, I've been sucked out into the channel!  Well that's no good.  I've no choice, I'll just have to drown, even though I could easily get out with the huge set of ramps set in place to prevent this kind of thing!  So long, cruel world!

Urist McCarpenter has drowned.

Olin McMason: Somehow I know my buddy Urist drowned, even though I'm half a mile away making a floodgate!  I think I need to throw a tantrum now!
Rest of Fortress: We'll help! *epic tantrum spiral*

Your settlement has crumbled to its end.

Grendus:
To get dwarves out of dangerous areas, try drafting them and stationing them somewhere else. Works like a charm. Also, if your dwarf is going "On Break" right after finishing the waterwheel and drowning, it means you haven't designated a meeting zone. If you don't want parties, simply designating a meeting area from the zones[i] menu will work, dwarves will go to this safe area when they want to take a break.

But yes, dwarves are very stupid. Welcome to DF.

Derakon:
As a general rule, I suggest that any power sources not be directly connected to the things they power, with the sole exception of millstones. Instead, build a freestanding gear assembly, that isn't being used to support anything, and connect that assembly to a lever, then pull the lever. Then build your power supply. You'll have plenty of time to get your dwarves out of harm's way before pulling the lever and hooking power up to the pumps or whatever it is they're powering.

M.R. Siegal:
The dwarven rumor mill is a powerful machine indeed.  Faster than the speed of light, it is.

o_O[WTFace]:
I once had my two starting miners fall into a pool I was trying to channel out.  They died of dehydration, even after putting a water source around them and dropping booze barrels on their heads. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version