Early
- 2 (22.2%)
Mid
- 5 (55.6%)
Late
- 2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: Dominions 3--New PBEM Game (Running)  (Read 38879 times)

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3--New PBEM Game (Running)
« Reply #345 on: May 12, 2010, 02:46:20 am »

Hello Dominions friends

This game is brutal!  Ulm beset on all sides.

I am boarding an airplane and will be well out of town from May 13 to May 20.  A whole week, yeah.  Should have brought it up sooner, apologies, but I didn't even get the tickets until a few days ago.

I've kind of got the fight back in me and want to play my turns.  So unless one of ya'll knows someone who can sub for me on short notice think we could take a week's hiatus?  At which point you can commence with your previously scheduled Ulm thrashing.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 12, 2010, 05:17:29 am »

I'm ok with a pause.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 12, 2010, 10:59:31 am »

Yea, I'm ok with that too.  I can't help but think this is part of a grand conspiracy against me though, since no one has responded to my latest messages and it's made me paranoid.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 12, 2010, 11:42:43 am »

What message?

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:18 am »

I sent out a couple messages in the past few days to various people.  Could everyone still playing send me a message of the last message they received from me?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 12, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »

Huh? You want me to send you back your own message? The one in which you tell me that you want me to attack Belac with you, as soon as you'll get the Ulm contained?

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:25 pm »

Well, that probably seals my fate and/or is proof of an evil conspiracy against me (because any conspiracy I'm involved in is a just one).

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 12, 2010, 05:51:50 pm »

After this next turn hosts I will submit a 180 hour delay. That is 7 days + 12 hours for a comfortable margin of error.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 19, 2010, 02:00:15 pm »

Looking through all the spells on the wiki, has anyone ever thought of gift of reasoning an elephant, giving him the heart that makes him an assassin and then allow him to fly one way or another? He could end assassination fights very quickly by flying up to somebody and trampling on his first turn, unless my knowledge from playing the demo is doesn't apply in the full game(fly=instant movement at fatigue cost and trample=instant kill like in chess).
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 19, 2010, 02:07:44 pm »

Trampling isn't instant kill, it's still just a standard attack, the strength of which is based off of the creature's size and strength.  Trampling just lets a creature attack a very large number of units each turn, as a trample attack is regarded as movement rather than an attack, so they can do it multiple times per turn and even charge straight into formations.  This costs a lot of fatigue though, and can result in the trampler being in a VERY nasty position after it's come to a stop.  I think it might also be an armor piercing attack, but I'm not certain.

It could probably work rather well for assassinations though, provided you're up against human-sized or smaller commanders.  Any sort of ethereal-ness would also severely hamper stomping efforts, and a lot of the important commanders will usually find some way of getting that.

Still though, it's an interesting thought.  The elephant will rack up some severe fatigue though, with the combination of flying and trampling.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 22, 2010, 04:11:18 pm »

If you can get a big humanoid, the easier route to trying this is Stymphalian Wings. They'll give you flight and trample, with fear thrown in at no additional charge.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 22, 2010, 05:37:56 pm »

If you can get a big humanoid, the easier route to trying this is Stymphalian Wings. They'll give you flight and trample, with fear thrown in at no additional charge.
Sounds like a good outfit for a golem. 0 encumberance and all.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 23, 2010, 12:49:12 am »

But Trolls have regenerate.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 23, 2010, 09:21:20 am »

For the abovementioned plan, this won't work because of Golems' lifelessness (and lack of stealth, which the originally-suggested  elephants also suffer from). Otherwise, yep, it's a cute trick and can help with niche Golem thugging.

But Trolls have regenerate.

For the abovementioned trick, a Troll King is nonviable due to stealthlessness. Even if he was not,  it's a poor choice due to the unit not being 0 Enc since the Black Heart adds a +5 Enc chest wound...

If you really really really want a trampling assassin, go with a Lord of the Night with Boots of the Behemoth. Built-in flight and assassination, with an added bonus of probably having enough Death to cast Soul Vortex to shake off the trampling fatigue. Admittedly, using your pretender in this role is almost certainly a misallocation of resources, so...

...we're left with, hmm...

...Argatha dropping GoR on an Umbral and giving it the Heart and Wings, maybe? Probably still not the best use of resources, nor an option for any other nation, but at size 4 it's bigger than a Troll King, has 0 Enc, is ethereal, and also has a nice 22 Strength if it runs into something its own size.

[edit] The big problem with this is that a trampler wants to be as big as possible, and there aren't many big stealthy units. If you can settle for size 3 units to weakly trample human-size victims (and ride roughshod over Hoburg commanders), there are a number of options available, but this is very much an instance where bigger is better. Even the humble Jotun Scout could be made into a more effective and damaging trampling assassin than a size 3 unit (though the encumbrance hit from the Heart would make it quite easily winded).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:39:59 am by E. Albright »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 23, 2010, 10:22:47 am »

Can't the affliction by the heart be removed by sticking in an immortal being/having a healer like those greek guys? Arcosomething? or casting Gift of Health? What about loading up a four armed pretender with 4 lantern shields, a horror helmet and other similar objects and win assassinations not by killing things but literally scaring them to death?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27