Early
- 2 (22.2%)
Mid
- 5 (55.6%)
Late
- 2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Dominions 3--New PBEM Game (Running)  (Read 38504 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3--New PBEM Game (Running)
« Reply #375 on: May 31, 2010, 10:30:49 am »

Against an inactive player? Not very sportsmanlike, eh Kebooo?

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 31, 2010, 03:49:01 pm »

I honestly didn't know whether he was active or not.  Especially since Ulm's activity came and went and we didn't really have any announcements of when he did or didn't submit a turn.  I don't know how to tell besides whether someone retaliates, but then I don't know whether that's intentional or not and this is only the second turn he would have been able to retaliate.  I'm pretty sure we all gained a huge advantage against Ulm due to inactivity, a lot more so than my seizing a few land provinces Belac couldn't have prevented me from seizing.  No major battles yet.  But any replacement should understand there will be major battles, very soon, and be willing to take on that challenge.

I'm willing to put the turn on hold until we can find a replacement, beating up on inactive players (like we did to Ulm) just isn't fun.  But I'm not willing to be forced to completely change my strategy in game (to not attack R'lyeh and twiddle my thumbs) all because someone else has gone inactive.  Spending thousands of gold and hundreds of gems on units and items that help me attack the sea, then being forced to change that strategy would be a little unfair toward me, so let's either wait or find a replacement.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:52:31 pm by Kebooo »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 31, 2010, 04:12:49 pm »

On Llamaserver's our game's page, go to "admin options" -> "show stalling data". You'll see that Belac's been missing for quite a while now.

Getting some replacement would be nice. Even setting him on AI would be prefferable to having the third leg of the stool removed from the game.
At this point, I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to just ditch this game and start a new one. After all, if not for Ulm's repeated stalling, we'd all be speaking Ulmish by now.

I'd say, let's put the game on hold for now, and see if Belac or some replacement shows up.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 31, 2010, 04:28:11 pm »

While I realize the legitimacy or what not of the winner would always be in question due to the various periods of inactivity (including the guy I replaced), I'd still like to continue if for no other reason than to learn what does/doesn't work and just have some fun.  I'd be up for starting a new one, but it'd be a real shame to lose out on this opportunity to use late game spells/strategies against other players, especially since up until now I've basically been using "attack with a lot of units and hope to win" and I'm finally evolving as a player a little bit.  Not to mention I might just be wiped out early in another game.  I'd love to try out other factions though, T'ien Ch'i isn't the kind of nation I would have chosen if I had got to pick.

Also, about admin options, am I able to do all of those things?  Like delay the game?  I had never clicked it until right now since I had assumed it was meaningless for me.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 31, 2010, 04:42:53 pm »

Much as I'd like to throw in my voice, I don't own Dominions 3 and am therefore not much help in deciding matters related to the game.

...but if you are considering starting a new game, would y'all mind doing it in late age?  Every other Dom 3 game I've seen has been either EA or MA, and I'd seriously like to see someone take Bogarus for a spin, or LA Marignon.  LA has got some very cool nations, and from what I've read about the game, it seems to be focused more on large-scale battles with soldiers, rather than the raw magical prowess of EA (not that it doesn't have its own flashy stuff, mind you), and big wars have always been fun to watch (speaking of which, I do think y'all should find it within yourselves to post some screenshots now and again...  For those of us who enjoy being filthy leeching spectators).

You'll run into the issue of Ermor and R'lyeh, of course...  But Ermor can be a nice leg up for newish players, should that be needed, and it shouldn't really be hard to come to an agreement as to whether or not to have them in the game.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 31, 2010, 05:35:27 pm »

Kebooo - if you've got the admin password, then yes. Actually, I hope you've got it, as we do need somebody to delay the game.

And we could always start another game, while this one is on hold. I'd like to try LA, as Kagus suggested(them Pythium fellas, maybe?).

Kagus - screenshots are, unfortunately both a pain and somewhat confidential matter. But maybe some will make it into the tread afterall, who knows?

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 31, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't have the admin password.  Doesn't Magnavox have it?

I'd post screenshots/videos after the fact if my tactics weren't so pedestrian. 

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 31, 2010, 05:57:31 pm »

Well, then. Let's wait for slMagnavox to pop up and tell us if he's willing to put this on hold. I propose not submitting any turns until we'll get a clear picture of the situation.

How's your inclination towards starting a paralel game in LA, Kebooo?

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 31, 2010, 06:09:38 pm »

I'd prefer to either finish this one or abandon it and start new, unless we can have 48 hour turns from the start, since I'm in three EFS games now, and I just joined a Dominions game on another forum a week ago or so as Caelum MA.  Soon I'll be playing EFS and Dominions as a second job.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 31, 2010, 06:14:10 pm »

Fine, no new games for the time. Let's wait and see if somebody shows up, or if slMagnavox has something to add.
Too bad we can't change the topic name to let people know that we're hiring.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 02, 2010, 02:59:17 am »

Got home from work, two hours to play my turn before host. Check llamaserver and no one has a turn in.  I delayed 48 hours and visited the thread.

I knew Belac had been gone awhile.  I PM'd him a couple times. And in all fairness I was waging a pretty fierce anti-Ryleh campaign in his absence myself.  I'd be fine hanging in with this game awhile longer, even though Ulmish leadership was too often on vacation to be effective.  I'm not entirely sure I could've won anyway, especially once a competent Tien Chi was on the scene. And my units have such poor MR Ryleh was eating me alive while they were still submitting turns.

I'd be interested in rolling up a new game also, early game is definitely my strong suit, hah.  I've seen E Albright back around the forums, wonder if he'd be interested in playing sub? (or joining us for round 3?)

Shall I set a deadline?  If no sub by next week (say Wed, Jun 9th) we set Ryleh to AI or else call Bay12Games2 a scratch.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 02, 2010, 04:19:25 am »

A week it is.
In a meantime, I'll try PMing E.Albright.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 17, 2010, 05:40:31 pm »

Hey, maybe Bluerobin would consider setting his Caelum to AI, and taking over the sea monsters? This way he'll be able to take revenge on Pangea Tien Chi!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 19, 2010, 07:05:45 am »

Based on the previous B12 Dominions game, that would cause Caelum to ultimately win.  I'd love to see the chicken-men win!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 19, 2010, 11:33:38 am »

Based on the previous B12 Dominions game, that would cause Caelum to ultimately win.  I'd love to see the chicken-men win!
They've got just one province left. Some 40 odd income etc. The only reason why Tien Chi hasn't gotten rid of them is probably because their emperor want's an endangered species reserve in his empire.

Anyway, EuchreJack - you take over Ryleh! You play now!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27