Early
- 2 (22.2%)
Mid
- 5 (55.6%)
Late
- 2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 3--New PBEM Game (Running)  (Read 38499 times)

Belac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dominions 3--New PBEM Game (Running)
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:13:18 pm »

We're going with:

Era: Middle
Map: Bering
Mods: CBM 1.6

Nations:
a1s: C'tis
Belac: R'lyeh
Bluerobin427: Caelum
E. Albright: Atlantis
Il Palazzo: Pangea
slMagnvox: Ulm
Wiles: Tien Chi

We are seeking a replacement for Atlantis.  It is a strong position, at war and doing well.  Not too complicated strategy yet.  Turn 18.  Post in the thread if you are interested.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:03:25 pm by Belac »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3--New PBEM Game
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:50:52 pm »

I'm voting for middle era - it's a bit easier avoiding instant steamrolling than early.

I can always do Atlantis - not the strongest by any means, but generally fun.

However, I'll do this properly and lay out explicit early/middle/late choices.

Early: R'lyeh
Middle: Marignon
Late: Atlantis
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:56:28 pm by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3--New PBEM Game
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:41:11 pm »

Might want to throw a "looking for players" into the post title...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3--New PBEM Game (Looking for Players)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 04:48:52 pm »

Oh dear. Not many takers. Either it's just bad timing, or the other D3PBEM scared everyone off...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 02:14:13 pm »

It's finals week(s), at least where I am.  Plus, there's the stress of the holidays.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:08:55 pm »

Oh dear. Not many takers. Either it's just bad timing, or the other D3PBEM scared everyone off...

I'd definitely join up for a second game, and I bet if we PM'd some of the others players in last game they'd be interested in another go.  Might be nice to delay start until the new year on account of aforementioned holiday stress and to encourage more signups.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:37:27 pm »

I'm not particularly good, but I would like to see how actual people play (and sign up, that is). What schedule do you guys have in mind?

no preferences, really.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Belac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:52:26 pm »

I am thinking start early January, 24-48-hour turns, 6-12 people, common mods (vanilla or CBM and nothing else).  I am partial to maps with a bit of wraparound, but would be open for suggestions.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 02:56:40 pm »

I'm interested, especially if we can start in the first week of January.

Prefered Civilizations to come.

I'd suggest the first 10 turns be done really quickly, as they are so short.  Perhaps doing them over the course of two days, if schedules line up.  After that, the turns tend to get longer, so we can go to the 24-48 hour turns.

An interesting idea: How about a map with large amounts of water?  Use some mod that grants a fourth or maybe even fifth underwater race, and the underwater races give the land races gems during the starting turns to compensate for the gross disadvantage that the land races will face.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 04:35:05 pm »

The degree to which water nations have a gross advantage tends to be inversely proportional to the number of water nations on a map. If there's 4-5 water nations, they're not going to be having an easy time of it, and while beaching one's self is easier than dunking, it's still not a walk in the kelp.

(Also, what's with the deep fascination with Early Era? I just don't get it. It's always been my least favorite, but I seem to be very much in the minority on this point...)

Belac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 05:28:36 pm »

How about a game with strong indies and a negative research multiplier, to extend the midgame?  More time for large armies of national units to beat on each other before the tartarians show up :).

We could also do an all-era game with: EA + MA Oceania, all 3 R'lyehs, all 3 Atlantises, LA Ermor, EA Agartha.  Just enough land for LA Atlantis, Ermor, and Agartha to start, and the rest is water.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:09:10 pm by Belac »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »

Not certain I like the whole "Fight your future and past selves" bit.  One thing that bothers me is the lack of player-made underwater races.  Guess it's harder to code, or something.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 01:12:52 am »

I'd actually guess it's more of a conceptual thing than implementation. It's relatively easy to come up with concepts for new terrestrial nations. Underwater, though? Especially with all the ground the existing three cover?

Also, I'd say that two immediate problems come to mind with the above-proposed undersea free-for-all. First, it's going to be ugly and annoying in that it'd be flatlands with almost no chokepoints. Second, neither EA Agartha nor LA Ermor would exactly be enjoying themselves - Agatha could at least build PD and forts, but their underwater troops are awful enough that they'd effectively become capital only as far as everything was concerned. Ermor would be denied fortresses (which are extravagances, yes, but needful ones) and the token one point of PD to avoid having their skellie farms be scout-killable. LA Atlantis would fare better than these two, but they'd still be significantly weakened.

It's an interesting idea, though. If you really wanted to have amphibious terrestrials, they'd probably each need an island with 3-4 provinces to make it fair, and possibly have isolated island provinces scattered about. Heh. If you did that, you could actually add LA Mictlan, though that'd be very, very painful - the only amphibious troops and commanders are capital-only sacreds, and they can't build forts underwater even if they do have PD. To say nothing of how vulnerable their handful of blood-for-domain harvesting operations would be.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 06:57:42 am »

My idea would be that about 30-50% of the provinces would be land.  Basically, the idea is that the real world is 70% water, so shouldn't the Dominions 3 world be at least marginally similar?

As for underwater concepts, the first idea that pops to mind is turtle-people.  Considering the squishy nature of the existing underwater races, they would be pretty unique.  High protection, low speed, maybe earth magic instead of water.  Differing troups in underwater forts and land forts (sea turtles and land turtles...the land ones would be nasty [snapping turtle-men, extra beak attack]).

Of course, I'm an overly-imaginative fellow....he he he  :D

If modding didn't look to be such a nightmare, I might actually work on this.  As is, I'm just gonna let it sit for eternity.

Belac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 09:46:14 am »

Another interesting one might be a sort of Sea-Caelum, with ducks, pelicans, and cormorants instead of the eagles, raptors, etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27