Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Carp solution

(1/2) > >>

roboticus:
embarked on a new map and guess who's already there?  the dreaded carp, that's who.  after a single death, i decided something had to be done.  i dug out a dwarfmade reservoir, put grates in, and channeled it out so that i have a carp free area to drink from, then i made it so the edge of rivers are restricted in the d->o->r screen and so far, 7 years later, no further victims have been claimed.  any potential drawbacks to this?

3:
Terminal drawback: Carp are not dead. This must be remedied immediately. Via magma.

JoystickHero:
Not unless you get a fisherdwarf immigrant who insists on fishing where there are clearly things that will eat his face. But designate your pool as a fishing zone, too, and that should work fine.

Did you build a well, or is the water still flowing? If it's stagnant, dwarves get pissy without a well.

roboticus:

--- Quote from: 3 on December 08, 2009, 05:06:03 pm ---Terminal drawback: Carp are not dead. This must be remedied immediately. Via magma.

--- End quote ---

more importantly, dorfs are not dead, via carp.

--- Quote from: JoystickHero on December 08, 2009, 05:06:46 pm ---Not unless you get a fisherdwarf immigrant who insists on fishing where there are clearly things that will eat his face. But designate your pool as a fishing zone, too, and that should work fine.

Did you build a well, or is the water still flowing? If it's stagnant, dwarves get pissy without a well.

--- End quote ---

my understanding is that if you basically make 2 separate entrances to the reservoir, the water is considered as flowing, but yes, i also put in a well.

edit:  also, since my reservoir is protected by grates, will there still be catchable fish in the water?

Lemunde:
Just so you understand what you're doing when you set an area as restricted.  The numbers you see when you go to the traffic screen are used for pathfinding.  So if it costs 5 points to move to one adjacent tile and 25 points to move to another, the dwarf will choose the 5 point one.  But these add up so if the final destination is several tiles away and the 25 point tile is along a much shorter route, the dwarf will choose that one. 

It's more of an optimization for pathfinding to lessen the load on your CPU and it's not guaranteed that a dwarf will not go there.  But in this case it does sound like an interesting solution to a common problem.  There's maybe a 1 percent chance that it won't work, depending on how the terrain is arranged.  The only drawback is it might cause goblins and kobolds to avoid these areas as well.  I'm really not sure if the traffic settings apply to those creatures.  But if they do then the carp won't be attacking your enemies either.

Try digging out a cistern(underground pool) for your water source and use bars to keep the carp out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version