Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Evil Squire: A Threetoe Story  (Read 33160 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: The Evil Squire: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 07:16:36 pm »

Haha. Nice analysis, really. It's your artifact bed's name that makes me laugh.

You think individuals should be able to bring about the downfall of a civilization directly? I certainly believe they should be able to cause and/or resolve wars if they are in positions of influence during worldgen.

Of course we already know this is possible in adventure mode.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 07:37:13 pm »

You think individuals should be able to bring about the downfall of a civilization directly?

Yes. I do. Even in my own Fortress. Well, let me modify that. As long as they're as bloody-minded and obvious as Jamie Thunder, then I have no problem with them cropping up. If I can't notice a dwarf running amok that baldly, then I deserve to have him marry the princess and make everyone's lives miserable with new mandates, summoning demons, and anything else he might want to do. "Prince Thunder has made a new aquisition lately. Prince Thunder has taken an inferior's item lately. Prince Thunder beat a servant lately. Prince Thunder was summoned by the Demon Tremoda for counsel lately." That reminds me I also liked the superficial damage idea of the "scratch" given the Squire by the Princess. I like to think she'd continue to inflict such. Can grudges exist between marriage partners? That would be... interesting. Dwarven Marriage Counsellors! Also it would keep away the bad thoughts if "That no-good low-down man" got executed.

Anyways, as long as the production cycles are smoother and don't take up all my time, there's no reason for the game to not throw cool snippets of raw story at me. Undirected and random. Unscripted. Maybe a "forceful personality" or some other set of traits could determine how likely characters are to become the protagonists of their own little stories. I don't know. Would that mean that breaking their spirit would stop their story? or just leave them open to demons and queens and other powerful persons to exploit?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 04:28:35 am »

Let me first say: Let's not start an argument or take things personally here. But I can't let this forum-esque statement stand. I demand logic, it's in my nature. So...

You know the definitions of both ballad and prose, right? So you know that you just lamented the fact that it was not written in medieval poetic form, something that Threetoe would be incapable of properly doing, just as a modern person would be incapable of writing properly in Middle English like Shakespeare (there are no native speakers alive). It's better you don't change your position each time your opinion is challenged or put words in someone's mouth (such as "obsolete") in order to facilitate an argument or cover a disparity in your own statements. Far better to carefully consider what is before you and whether your statement might be invalid or you might need to consider revising your opinion, than to defend it at all costs and without properly considering the opposition.

Indeed, I suspect myself of not being good at reasoning and reason so I don't find it shameful to back up. I think the notion of ballad being a genre of those long dead and me enjoying it made me look kind of... old and forgotten? So it might have brought it to the personal level. Let's say that I originally intended to say that The Evil Squire would look good in poetic form and that would make it resemble medieval ballads, probably...
Oh, I'll just shut up, really, before I have said something else.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 06:25:42 am »

Well you certainly have a very mature social view, and that is something to be respected. So you have my respect, if that means anything from a stranger on a forum.
The sigs topic:

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 05:44:47 pm »

Let me first say: Let's not start an argument or take things personally here. But I can't let this forum-esque statement stand. I demand logic, it's in my nature. So...

You know the definitions of both ballad and prose, right? So you know that you just lamented the fact that it was not written in medieval poetic form, something that Threetoe would be incapable of properly doing, just as a modern person would be incapable of writing properly in Middle English like Shakespeare (there are no native speakers alive). It's better you don't change your position each time your opinion is challenged or put words in someone's mouth (such as "obsolete") in order to facilitate an argument or cover a disparity in your own statements. Far better to carefully consider what is before you and whether your statement might be invalid or you might need to consider revising your opinion, than to defend it at all costs and without properly considering the opposition.

Indeed, I suspect myself of not being good at reasoning and reason so I don't find it shameful to back up. I think the notion of ballad being a genre of those long dead and me enjoying it made me look kind of... old and forgotten? So it might have brought it to the personal level. Let's say that I originally intended to say that The Evil Squire would look good in poetic form and that would make it resemble medieval ballads, probably...
Oh, I'll just shut up, really, before I have said something else.
Allow me to reiterate: Why not adapt it yourself? I know I'd like to read it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 07:57:06 pm »

Thanks to everybody for reading my story!  I'd like to think I'm improving.  This one was inspired by a guy I used to know who was in love with love.  He had that unnerving stare when he looked at something he wanted.  As far as ballads, I definitely would try to write one if I knew how.  I just saw Much Ado About Nothing on the Love Channel.  I could take Shakespeare.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:00:59 pm by ThreeToe »
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 09:50:22 am »

You think individuals should be able to bring about the downfall of a civilization directly?

Yes. I do. Even in my own Fortress. Well, let me modify that. As long as they're as bloody-minded and obvious as Jamie Thunder, then I have no problem with them cropping up. If I can't notice a dwarf running amok that baldly, then I deserve to have him marry the princess and make everyone's lives miserable with new mandates, summoning demons, and anything else he might want to do. "Prince Thunder has made a new aquisition lately. Prince Thunder has taken an inferior's item lately. Prince Thunder beat a servant lately. Prince Thunder was summoned by the Demon Tremoda for counsel lately." That reminds me I also liked the superficial damage idea of the "scratch" given the Squire by the Princess. I like to think she'd continue to inflict such. Can grudges exist between marriage partners? That would be... interesting. Dwarven Marriage Counsellors! Also it would keep away the bad thoughts if "That no-good low-down man" got executed.

Anyways, as long as the production cycles are smoother and don't take up all my time, there's no reason for the game to not throw cool snippets of raw story at me. Undirected and random. Unscripted. Maybe a "forceful personality" or some other set of traits could determine how likely characters are to become the protagonists of their own little stories. I don't know. Would that mean that breaking their spirit would stop their story? or just leave them open to demons and queens and other powerful persons to exploit?

Indeed. In fact, it might even be in the player's nature to act as the guiding demon himself, and guide a random wannabe into the role of chaos lord.

It might be hilarious to first set up a kingdom based on goodness, virtue, and honor for half of the game, and then spend the rest of it trying to tear down your own creation from the inside.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 09:51:31 am »

In the words of Stewie Griffin: "Dance, puppets, dance!"
The sigs topic:

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 03:54:09 pm »

I prefer my puppets to all be mindless drones, working tirelessly to create...

Whatever I want.

Of course, if random stories like this get in the way of production (going on what previous people said about random snippets of stories cropping up in game) then I shall drop the miscreants involved into the demon pits.

Bloody stories. >_>

NICE STORY 3FOOT

I MEAN TOE

Jotaf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 10:21:47 pm »

Wicked story! This is a good recipe for a believable villain. He doesn't think much about his fate, he just makes it up as he goes. Such a villain should have a pretty short life, as is demonstrated here!

Indeed. In fact, it might even be in the player's nature to act as the guiding demon himself, and guide a random wannabe into the role of chaos lord.

New game mode? :)

Adventure mode, playing a demon, who can travel in spirit/invisible form, observing and plotting, and from time to time shows up in a number of forms to intervene...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:23:49 pm by Jotaf »

AngryToad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 08:07:42 pm »

Whatever, though, happened to Rabbit?

Was he punished for serving under such an evil squire?

Or was he let off due to his probable innocence?

It even says in the analysis that "if he carried through" on baking the glass shards into the cake... so did he, or is this a part of the story left up to the reader?

Or something.

I dunno.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 12:13:10 pm »

He digs up the dagger and commences a quieter, smarter, 'reign of terror'.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 03:18:17 pm »

Whatever, though, happened to Rabbit?

Was he punished for serving under such an evil squire?

Or was he let off due to his probable innocence?

It even says in the analysis that "if he carried through" on baking the glass shards into the cake... so did he, or is this a part of the story left up to the reader?

Or something.

I dunno.

He looked over to see Rabbit leaking like a wine barrel after being struck by a hatchet. He was already dead
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 07:08:24 am »

aw. missed that part. Better luck next time, Tremoda.
[/quote]

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 06:18:37 pm »

I felt bad for poor Rabbit. :-(
Pages: 1 [2] 3