Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Evil Squire: A Threetoe Story  (Read 33161 times)

Frogeyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Evil Squire: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 03:37:05 pm »

"The rich golden garment fell across her body so that scarcely a man child would not steal a look"

Haha, was that deliberate?

rrroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 05:10:09 am »

Am I the only person who thinks these stories are kinda awful?

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 03:06:09 pm »

In what respect?

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 03:59:56 pm »

For internet message board, it's pretty good :)  I like the ideas, the characters aren't very characterized but that's how dwarf fortress is.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2009, 04:15:24 pm »

They're short stories, not novels, mind.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 03:52:45 pm »

Actually, I think they're pretty damn good.  :P

Considering the inherant restrictions of the medium, and the further immense restrictions that ThreeToe puts on them by attempting to convey what he's attempting to convey here, they're remarkable. Very sophisticated, very well thought out, and the writing goes from solid to outstanding (I've also noted that it has improved over time).

Other than that, I dislike whenever anyone posts negative comments about anything, without expressing why. It's a random stab in the back, not a useful criticism, and noteworthy only inasmuch as one might briefly chant a prayer to deny a muttered curse.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 05:32:56 pm »

Yeah Honey but I understand why people often don't explain what their negative comments.

1) No one EVER needs to explain why they thing something is good (Double Standard)
-This gets VERY annoying with reviews. Have you ever read a 10/10 review that just used the words amazing and wonderful a lot?
2) If you give reasons then people can argue against it. So listing reasons causes arguements.

Though yes as an artist it is very annoying to hear unfair comments about your material... Though I am much more sensative then others when it comes to this (For example: Have you seen me continue my Artifact thread lately? Or make a new comic? Or start a new creative project?) in the sense that I am easily disuaded. In fact it is a rather large shame of mine.

Which I am only stating my over-sensativity to allow the arguement of "Threetoe may be mentally stable enough to hear negative comments"

In terms of my oppinions of Threetoe stories... I don't have one as I usually skip through them. Of the ones I read they don't seem to be written with the intent of being a independent short story.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:35:04 pm by Neonivek »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »

I agree that good comments should also come with substance. I probably am as much at fault here as anyone else.

The thing about that is, if something is already "right", or good, it doesn't need fixed. Comments about why are less directly useful to the person who's work you're commenting on, because it can be assumed they have some inkling of why their work is good, or they wouldn't be able to create it in such an excellent manner.

If it's bad though, that implies that something is wrong with it, and if you're taking the trouble to point that out, it's only sane and sensible to pinpoint the flaw or flaws.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 09:34:46 pm »

"Jamie Thunder"? You can sorta tell who's the player character here. And I kinda like that. There's another with a tribe of warriors, where the new kid has taken the name "Death Coyote".

Looks deliberate when everyone else has sensible names. ;D

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 01:47:26 am »

Thanks to everybody for reading my story!  I'd like to think I'm improving.  This one was inspired by a guy I used to know who was in love with love.  He had that unnerving stare when he looked at something he wanted.  As far as ballads, I definitely would try to write one if I knew how.  I just saw Much Ado About Nothing on the Love Channel.  I could take Shakespeare.

I think it would be great if ThreeToe took, say, MacBeth, and then applied the same footnotes to the story, as concerns DF.

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2010, 07:39:10 pm »

I thought this story was pretty good because of it showing a variation of the "sell your soul" story to focus on an idiot rather than a decent planner. I was a bit disappointed due to the story lacking some details like why did the king lack manpower to execute a single squire, how did an idiot managed to convince a bunch of mercs to take him seriously let alone fight for him, why did even Rabbit follow an that idiot, and there might be more. I like threetoe's stories but this was a bit short for its intended plot. I am also wondering if threetoes shortened it for the "TLDR" crowd. I might be thinking on it too much for what it is though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:47:27 pm by PsychoBuck »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 12:18:16 pm »

Indeed. In fact, it might even be in the player's nature to act as the guiding demon himself, and guide a random wannabe into the role of chaos lord.

New game mode? :)

Adventure mode, playing a demon, who can travel in spirit/invisible form, observing and plotting, and from time to time shows up in a number of forms to intervene...

I dont think it needs a mode and even without Magics you can do this. Look at the Mafia or Politics.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 2 [3]