Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Lag discussion, how to address it and be generally helpful to Toady/Threetoe  (Read 17533 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile

Slinging vocabulary at it won't prove your point. It's none of those things. The first post was misguided, and has been since rectified. I would appreciate if you'd just shove it instead of trying to kill a purposeful thread by claiming it is useless.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fine.

I just wish I could unsubscribe from a thread in SMF.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:44:10 pm by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fine.

I just wish I could unsubscribe from a thread in SMF.

Don't we all. Thanks for stopping the spam.
The sigs topic:

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Maximizing_framerate

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47302.0

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=43265.0

What causes lag is incredibly well known. That is why when you told us to stop talking about theoretical and focus just on describing lag, all the while snubbing ever active member on the forum, The forum stopped posting replies that deal with the topic at hand.

Using the search function and common knowledge I have put three links that deal with lag and specifically reducing it without changing the game's code. The pathfinder is especially interesting since they actually are very knowledgeable on coding and understanding how computers work.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can people stop arguing and post some more interesting profiling tests? It's not like doing such tests really hurts anyone.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What causes lag is incredibly well known. That is why when you told us to stop talking about theoretical and focus just on describing lag, all the while snubbing ever active member on the forum, The forum stopped posting replies that deal with the topic at hand.

Pardon the language, but what the hell are you talking about? I never did anything even remotely resembling what you are describing. I've done nothing but encourage discussion this whole time, though admittedly I've put down some repetitive multithreading suggestions. You either have me mixed up with someone else, or you're just making it up. I asked people to stop bickering over quantum computers in the thread.

Stop bitching. That goes for all of you who keep doing it at each other and me. That's all I have said about stopping anythiing.
The sigs topic:

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

^^^ If you feel that you can't make your point without profanity, that's a good indication that you shouldn't post.  If you feel someone was out of line, you can use the report button instead.  Right now, the person in this thread most likely to be reported is you.

My suggestion: lock this thread, as due to your inflammatory comments it's much more likely to continue attracting flames than serve whatever its stated purpose is at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:15:50 pm by Footkerchief »

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seriously The Architect. This topic was doomed mostly because of your tone. The fact that it is utterly redundant helped of course.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, now that everyone has had a day to cool down, let me remind you of a couple of things. First: The only rule in this forum is no bickering. Several of you bickered at each other over quantum computers, so I asked you to stop as that was off-topic. Then you bickered at me. Then I asked you again to stop, and you bitched at me. Then I told you that you were bitching, then you offered to report me.

To sum up, I've done nothing wrong and you're close to getting reported yourselves. It's true that I used strong language to tell you once again to stop fighting, but that's not against the forum rules. Your bickering is. For the last time, I'd like you all to stop. If you do not, I'm reporting it in a last-ditch effort to stop your attempts to kill this thread. I believe those who jumped on the band wagon and ganged up on me when I tried to stop it will realize they were wrong very quickly if they actually read any number of my posts, which never did anything but ask people to stop fighting.

The second thing I'd like to remind you of is the topic of this thread: how to address the lag in DF. It's true that we cannot do it directly, but we were profiling its causes. They are not well known at all; we only have ideas about what causes the lag. We don't have any evidence. We can continue with that effort now, if everyone has had quite enough whining and bitching.
The sigs topic:

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So after a day to cool off, you come in with your imperious attitude again.

I'll need the new raws to describe to you where you can stuff it.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Architect, from what I've read of what you're asking, the person you really need to talk to is Toady.  Way back when this started Blacken told you the problems with the idea of what you want, and even told you why the problems were so difficult to surmount.  This is an area you readily admit having no understanding at all, yet when someone who appears to have an understanding at least as good as mine you try to act like an imperious member of some Royal family.
  What you are looking for as far as the ability to break a program into pieces is something that has to be specially programmed into a piece of software during or after it has been produced.  You come up with a program that can do it with another program, any program and you will find that there are companies out there that will _kill_ you to acquire the rights to those secrets because they wouldn't be able to afford them.  There are programming teams of people who have their Masters and Doctorates degrees in software design who haven't been able to solve the problem, and believe me, for them it IS a problem.
  It is the Orininal Poster who sets the tone for his thread, so instead of showing your ass, you should have been showing a little respect to the people who had the expertise you were inquiring about.  If you think I'm being mean I really couldn't care less, if you want to report me, see the first part of this statement.  But it's about time someone laid the truth bare in front of you.  I do so with no rancor, no intent to hurt your feelings.  Merely to show you the reality of what you asked, and that I still do not believe you comprehend.
Demon of Darkness

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Too much fighting, and the OP is involved, so...  lock!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]