There isn't any one huge headline feature for this release, but it's better than the last one. Combat is better, stealing is better, safe cracking is better, hacking is better, stability is better, the game is just generally better than it was in the 4.00 line.
Windows download (including 4.01.1 - 4.01.4 updates):http://www.jonathansfox.com/lcs/lcs_win32_4.01.4.zip
Please note that 4.01.4 is not compatible with saves from 4.01.2 or earlier.
The source code used for the 4.01.4 release build is revision 396 on SVN. As always, you can check out the latest build from SVN using this address:https://lcsgame.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lcsgame/trunk/
The file sitemaps.txt must be converted to Unix line endings prior to being usable on Linux or OS X, and it should be located in the art directory now.Version 4.01.4:
+ Made crimes like murder follow the new non-reporting rules for actions against gangs and CCS.
+ Suppressed news stories for actions against gangs and CCS.
+ Stopped the game from forcing you to permanently freeze in place at the entrance to the Desert Eagle Bar & Grill when escaping from a siege.
+ Stopped you from outing sleepers aside from CCS safehouses. Unfortunately, the CCS code is not my cleanest logic. It's possible that this also stopped sleepers from being outed when you capture CCS safehouses, which would be a bug. I haven't tested this yet so let me know if there's a problem here.
+ Fixed a bug causing the CCS to rampage 80% of the time. Due to the aforementioned messy CCS code, even after testing and extensive code examination I'm still not sure if they're affecting public opinion correctly, but at least it will look less broken. As before, let me know if you notice anything odd going on.
+ Fixed cars subtracting funds when sold instead of adding them.
+ Adjusted balance on influencing the jury again, and loosened the results bell curve somewhat.
+ A couple amusing tweaks to the stealth and interrogation properties of the mask of Dick Cheney, courtesy of LiteralKa.Version 4.01.3:
* Improved the fidelity of the end of month financial reports and the accuracy of the high score records.
* Made donations dependent on the public's interest in the LCS, so inactivity will result in diminishing returns even if you're popular.
* Made sleepers laying low very slowly gain infiltration.
* Made sleepers advocating liberalism stop getting whiny and quitting sleeperism.
* Altered the issues affected by different sleepers. Cultural sleepers now affect primarily cultural issues, like civil liberties and equal rights.
* Fixed a crash when you fight your way to freedom after being spotted stealing cars.
* Standard security guards can no longer spawn with .44 magnums.
* The massive conservative response at CCS safehouses is more CCS instead of police.
* Police gang units will beat you up if they tackle you during a foot chase.
* You no longer get charged with crimes for actions that are 1) At the crack houses, 2) Responding to a non-police attack on your safehouse, or 3) At CCS safe houses.
* Capped clothing pawn shop returns at $50 over the base manufacture cost.Version 4.01.2:
* Fixed a bug where liberals would apply their best medical skills to revive nearby dead bodies.
* Fixed sleeper conservatives and moderates becoming permanent hostages instead of sleepers.
* Stopped firemen from sieging you continually.
* All non-police raids except the CCS and the CIA will temporarily stop raiding you after they succeed in a raid until you offend them again. The CCS will continue to raid you indiscriminately, and if you anger the CIA, they won't give up until you've been wiped out.
* Made enlightened liberals completely immune to wisdom-based attacks.
* Made seduced liberals immune to conversion from wisdom-based attacks (but not to stunning, juice loss, or wisdom gain).Version 4.01.1:
* You can now make a stealth check to not get shot at when evading as soon as you encounter enemies.
* Nakedness isn't a disguise in public anymore.
* Your founder is slightly less likely to die in combat.
* Prostitution doesn't display daily updates.
* Encounters are much less common in apartments.
* Soliciting donations is more powerful.
* Strengthened the NPC guard dog's ability to detect thieves.
* Made the "term limits" amendment get proposed sooner when you're doing well.
* Made head shots less common, but factored your attack roll into your hit location. Awesome attackers are more likely to connect head and body shots.
* Made limb hits (and car hits) more rare in car chases.
* Made influencing the jury a more tight bell curve with the same base difficulty.
* Doubled the benefit in juice for influencing the jury but applied it only to the character that actually speaks instead of the whole party.
* Stripped away all weapons from the angry jury if you fail, so they just try to punch you to death instead of shooting and stabbing and punching you to death.
* Police will charge your party with theft for each stolen item they find in your inventory when you are arrested on site.
* Adjusted seduction formulae to be slightly more favorable to the player.
* Increased the armor piercing effectiveness for M16s, AK-47s, and M4s.
* Made the hospital heal liberals faster.
* Observe the future of LCS interface through the new sleeper prompt! Holy [Lord]!Version 4.01:
* Reverted rampages to the older better system.
* Animals allowed to be naked in public.
* Gave you juice for stealing.
* Changed loot types for stealing.
* Made it much easier to get special items by stealing them from sites (so you can get sensitive and publishable documents by grabbing loot around the AM Radio station, for example).
* Expanded the benefits of cracking the CEO's safe significantly.
* You can release or even kill off unwanted Liberals from their profile in the review liberals screen.
* Increased the range of stuff you can acquire by hacking, and increased the heat generated by doing so.
* Made it easier to raid CCS safehouses.
* Police can subdue the squad if you're badly injured, but only common police will do this, not gang unit and swat types.
* Removed the "ask for a donation" option from the recruitment screen.
* Limited the number of people you can try to recruit at once.
* Made recruitment success more unpredictable.
* Made influencing the jury more unpredictable.
* Made the prosecution sometimes tougher in court.
* Weakened sleeper lawyers.
* Moved sitemaps.txt to the art directory -- linux will still have to run dos2unix on it, but it should be located reasonably at least.
* Added a unique hidden weapon to the game.
* Help system for activities implemented. Help text only exists for a few of the activism options so far, but the system supports others.
* Fixed a crash bug with car chase sequences after freeing liberals.
* Quite possibly stopped ALL crash bugs with hostages. Cross your fingers!
* Prevented interrogations on people who are away.
* Prevented threatening/shooting/releasing the dead corpses of your comrades in hostage negotiation.
* You will no longer be charged with murder during shootouts caused by musically converted conservatives.
* Purchasing a printing press no longer exits the upgrade screen.
* You can no longer publish the guardian through a ccs-controlled safehouse.
* Prevented your safehouses from getting shut down (and their upgrades lost) because of your actions.
* Check for game over before releasing liberal guardian special editions.
* Prevented liberals from riding in the ghosts of destroyed vehicles.
* Fixed issues flipping to L+.
* Fixed blank mural name for gun control.
* Fixed blank news stories.
* Fixed bug where specials can spawn in unrestricted areas when using the new map code.
* Made upgrades appear on owned crack houses.