Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34

Author Topic: LCS 4.01.4 (December 2009 Release)  (Read 85189 times)

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.01.4 Download - It's The Latest Release
« Reply #435 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:49 pm »

Do you have enough food stockpiled? You need that too if you want to wait.

EDIT: I cannot compile latest trunk.
Code: [Select]
$ make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/toksyuryel/games/LCS/work'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/toksyuryel/games/LCS/work/src'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..  -DINSTALL_DATA_DIR=\"/usr/local/share\"  -I../src -march=athlon64 -msse3 -O0 -pipe -ggdb -MT crimesquad-game.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/crimesquad-game.Tpo -c -o crimesquad-game.o `test -f 'game.cpp' || echo './'`game.cpp
In file included from includes.h:628,
                 from game.cpp:73:
items/cliptype.h:1: error: stray '\357' in program
items/cliptype.h:1: error: stray '\273' in program
items/cliptype.h:1: error: stray '\277' in program
items/cliptype.h:1: error: stray '#' in program
In file included from includes.h:628,
items/cliptype.h:21:2: error: #endif without #if
items/cliptype.h:1: error: 'ifndef' does not name a type
In file included from includes.h:629,
items/weapontype.h:108: error: expected ',' or '...' before '&' token
items/weapontype.h:108: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'ClipType' with no type
items/weapontype.h: In member function 'bool WeaponType::acceptable_ammo(int) const':
items/weapontype.h:108: error: 'c' was not declared in this scope
In file included from includes.h:633,
items/clip.h: At global scope:
items/clip.h:9: error: expected ',' or '...' before '&' token
items/clip.h:9: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'ClipType' with no type
In file included from includes.h:634,
items/weapon.h:38: error: expected ',' or '...' before '&' token
items/weapon.h:38: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'ClipType' with no type
game.cpp:87: error: 'ClipType' was not declared in this scope
game.cpp:87: error: template argument 1 is invalid
game.cpp:87: error: template argument 2 is invalid
game.cpp:87: error: invalid type in declaration before ';' token
game.cpp: In function 'int main(int, char**)':
game.cpp:289: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'
game.cpp: In function 'bool initialize_cliptypes()':
game.cpp:623: error: request for member 'push_back' in 'cliptype', which is of non-class type 'int'
game.cpp:623: error: expected type-specifier before 'ClipType'
game.cpp:623: error: expected `)' before 'ClipType'
make[2]: *** [crimesquad-game.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/toksyuryel/games/LCS/work/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/toksyuryel/games/LCS/work'
make: *** [all] Error 2
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:39:21 am by Toksyuryel »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 13, 2010, 06:19:13 am »

Speaking of which, maybe something could be added to the game where bombers will bomb your place before a raid, therefore causing large patches of random flames and all of your members taking some kind of damage,

Unavoidable RNG kills? My fake difficulty sense is tingling!

I'd suggest the following siege system improvements. First, there isn't almost any point in prolonging sieges right now. I suggest that sieges require so much police attention that other safehouses accumulate heat much slower. Also, The Man can't have more than one SERIOUS siege at the time because of this (smaller attacks are possible though). The media loves to keep an eye on the siege and successfully defending for a long time will have positive impact on the issues as the public starts to realize how ridiculous and unfounded the police/army siege is (especially if you have the Liberal Guardian running). While the Liberals defending against the siege will obviously be unable to do any liberal activism or fundraising (Internet-based activities included, no connection for terrorists you know), they will slowly gain juice for being under siege. A squad must be designated to be the safehouse guards - they are the ones who will engage in combat against enemy probes and other such incursions.

When under siege, your liberals are inside the safehouse, while the attackers keep a safe distance. However, they want the liberals destroyed, so they will occasionally send sneaky probe parties, intended to cause some damage, probe the defences and perhaps hurt a liberal or two, towards the safehouse. This results in a slightly modified standard combat (single combat, not raid style) where your liberals are faced with a medium-sized enemy force, which will retreat after receiving some casualties. A possibility would be to have the probe conservatives destroy liberal infrastructure if not defeated soon enough (perhaps an option would be not to risk liberals to fight them?) - safehouse improvements, rations and possibly even funds could be lost. The worst case scenario would be that the siege fortification will be pierced - the siege will turn into a site raid, which would, under the proposed system, be far worse than a siege (as it should be). On the other hand, killing people from these probe forces will weaken the conservative siege. Liberals will fire from fortified positions (an additional safehouse improvement available after siege fortification) so conservatives will have a lower chance to hit them (perhaps a fixed amount converted into dodge skill, and each liberal uses whichever is better, that amount or their natural dodge).

Sieges should have a strength variable, representing the resources and manpower channeled in the fight by conservatives. Strong sieges will send many probe parties (may pose a challenge, but successfully fighting them will also weaken the siege) and will use special equipment like bombers and tanks. Also, should the siege turn into a raid, strong sieges will be harder to destroy. Sieges will eventually weaken as their probe parties are repelled. Liberals can directly hurt the siege by sending a counterattack squad - a temporary site that represents the conservative siege camp is available for raiding. It should be possible to raid the site even from the sieged safehouse, but as the conservatives see the liberals coming, the enemy will be alarmed immediately. So, for the best result, attack from behind. Sieges will slowly regenerate their strength if they receive no damage for a while - also, successful anti-liberal sabotage will give them more faith in their success and increase their strength.

Once the enemy is weak enough, they can't send probe parties anymore. However, they might attempt a final push - sending the rest of their manpower to crush the safehouse. This force may be slightly stronger than a probe party, but they won't retreat (until very heavy casualties perhaps). Liberals can, again, use their fortifications. Once the final push is crushed, the siege is over for now, and the conservatives must muster more forces for a new siege. Another possible ending to a siege is simply crushing the siege camp when it has been weakened enough. A crushed siege is a major victory for the liberal agenda.

And what about bombers? There should be a way to defend against them. Would an AA gun upgrade for safehouses be too showy? A bomb shelter wouldn't, but it could only prevent damage to people, not infrastructure. A way to counteract bombers would be nice - perhaps sabotaging them at the siege camp would prevent them from acting?

And some suggestions for safehouse upgrades:

* Fortifying for siege should be a tad more expensive, as the proposed siege system is quite liberal-friendly
* Additional fortifications that are even more expensive, but give a defensive bonus against probe parties (alternatively, safehouses can be siege-fortified by default, and the siege fortification upgrade gives this effect)
* Booby traps are ridiculous in their current state. They could sometimes hurt probe parties, making them easier to destroy. No effect during raids (so perhaps dependent on having fortifications for siege?)
* Cameras will spot raiding parties - without them, they have a chance to sneak past your guarding party and damage your safehouse
* Bomb shelter - bombers won't cause damage to liberals, only resources and infrastructure

How this would affect attacks by CCS, rednecks, agents or mercenaries, I haven't thought about yet. Apart from the hillbilly raid, these are covert operations and as they don't want to draw attention, a prolonged siege isn't an option for them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, as usual, I'll do my best to help with creating this new system, but unfortunately, I'm still stuck in a certain conservative organization for a couple of months...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:23:24 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 13, 2010, 07:13:50 am »

EDIT: I cannot compile latest trunk.
There were some stray characters in the beginning of the file. Probably because it was encoded in unicode instead of ansi as the rest of the files are. I've changed that now. Strangely, g++ never coughed up error there for me.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 13, 2010, 03:22:17 pm »

It made it a lot farther this time, but it's still failing: http://pastebin.ca/1990526

If it's relevant, here's my gcc version:
Code: [Select]
$ x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++-4.4.4 --version
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++-4.4.4 (Gentoo 4.4.4-r2 p1.2, pie-0.4.5) 4.4.4
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 13, 2010, 05:24:07 pm »

I use version 4.5.0, but that's not the problem here. The problem is you're not compiling all the files. I have updated Makefile.am with the missing files. I hope that's all that's necessary. I've never really worked with makefiles.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:32:01 pm by Carlos Gustavos »

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 13, 2010, 10:30:54 pm »

Success :) It compiles and runs fine now^^

EDIT: So I was skulking about the Montalvo Appartments in downtown Washington, D.C. when I stumbled across this: http://oi54.tinypic.com/9h2ww8.jpg

I am pretty sure that wasn't supposed to be there. It's apparently worth $100 at the pawn shop.

EDIT2: The game segfaults when I try to buy a liberal gun at the pawn shop. Here's the save file. Looking at this screenshot, I think the problem may be that my location didn't actually change to the pawn shop- it thinks I'm back at the apartments preparing to go to the pawn shop while I am in fact at the pawn shop.

EDIT3: The segfault is not specific to attempting to buy a gun. It also happens if I try to leave the pawn shop. None of the other options cause it though, just buying a gun and trying to leave.

EDIT4: I had him stop trying to go to the pawn shop, and when I waited the game segfaulted immediately. The problem may not have anything to do with the pawn shop itself.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:50:01 am by Toksyuryel »

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 14, 2010, 01:10:25 pm »

The UNDEFINED item turned out to be a daisho with incorrect name tags. I've fixed it now. I've also made the right location show for shops.

I couldn't load your save file though. The data in the file appears misaligned and I'm guessing it's because of different sizes of long ints on Linux and Windows.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 14, 2010, 03:11:54 pm »

Couldn't you install a small linux partition for testing purposes? It's not difficult^^ Who knows, you might even like it :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 14, 2010, 04:20:17 pm »

Thanks for working on this everyone.

Any ideas on when a playable/stable/straight-downloadable version will be released?

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 14, 2010, 04:24:39 pm »

I managed to get the game to crash doing the same thing but from a fresh save. It seems the code in Shop::browse_halfscreen and browse_fullscreen for filtering out items in shops with display()==false was somehow calling erase() wrong. Not entirely sure how that happened, but anyway I replaced it with some STL magic to do the same in a safer way (after taking three revisions to actually get that one single change in...)

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 15, 2010, 03:05:45 am »

It seems to be very hard to sway a jury in the latest trunk, I've tried four times with 20 charisma and 15 persuasion skill and all four times they were angered. Am I just unlucky or is there something else I am missing?

EDIT: I trained my Law skill up to 10 and that seemed to do the trick. I guess that's what the problem was.

EDIT2: Any time the game is quit and then reopened, ALL of my sleepers drop to 0% effectiveness and have to start building it up all over again.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:24:57 am by Toksyuryel »

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 15, 2010, 09:35:13 am »

It seems to be very hard to sway a jury in the latest trunk, I've tried four times with 20 charisma and 15 persuasion skill and all four times they were angered. Am I just unlucky or is there something else I am missing?

EDIT: I trained my Law skill up to 10 and that seemed to do the trick. I guess that's what the problem was.

Yeah, charisma, intelligence, persuasion and law all matter in determining your success when tampering a jury. When defending yourself in court, law skill is actually twice as important as persuasion.

EDIT2: Any time the game is quit and then reopened, ALL of my sleepers drop to 0% effectiveness and have to start building it up all over again.

Ah. Infiltration, unlike almost all of the other creature attributes, is a floating-point value rather than either a string or something that can be safely cast to an integer and back, so CMarkup's AddElem can't be used to just store it directly. Carlos probably just missed testing it among the several dozen other attributes. Fixed now :).

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 15, 2010, 02:58:45 pm »

Quote from: Toksyuryel
Couldn't you install a small linux partition for testing purposes? It's not difficult^^ Who knows, you might even like it :)
I have tried linux a few times and I used unix some when I studied at the university. The biggest problem is that I have a really old computer (12 years) with little harddrive space (4 Gb).

Quote from: EuchreJack
Any ideas on when a playable/stable/straight-downloadable version will be released?
I don't know how it has been handled before, but if you want a more recently from source version you can check my last post in the "LCS and XML" thread. If it works for you I can put up a most recently from source version so you get the latest fixes.

Quote from: Ari Rahikkala
It seems the code in Shop::browse_halfscreen and browse_fullscreen for filtering out items in shops with display()==false was somehow calling erase() wrong.
I've had it happen to me too now. What happens (or happened before you changed it) is that if the last element in available_options should not be displayed, then it is removed and the end iterator available_options.end() is then checked if it should be displayed and then it tries to remove it too, causing a segfault. I must have only tested the game in nightmare mode after I added the Shop class to have missed this.

Quote from: Ari Rahikkala
Ah. Infiltration, unlike almost all of the other creature attributes, is a floating-point value rather than either a string or something that can be safely cast to an integer and back, so CMarkup's AddElem can't be used to just store it directly. Carlos probably just missed testing it among the several dozen other attributes. Fixed now :).
Yeah, I missed that. I even noticed a couple of days ago that my sleeper lawyer had zero infiltration and that infiltration is a float, but it didn't connect in my head.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 15, 2010, 04:20:27 pm »

My founder is such a badass he can frighten tanks :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 15, 2010, 06:28:33 pm »

It takes some fiddling, but it works, thanks!

Oh, but I keep getting a message about "new sitemap system does not work".

Also, it requires a few files from the current "official" version.  Pdcurses mainly.

And the downloader needs to make their own "art" folder, and place files within.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34