Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: LCS 4.01.4 (December 2009 Release)  (Read 85159 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
LCS 4.01.4 (December 2009 Release)
« on: December 10, 2009, 12:58:02 pm »

There isn't any one huge headline feature for this release, but it's better than the last one. Combat is better, stealing is better, safe cracking is better, hacking is better, stability is better, the game is just generally better than it was in the 4.00 line.

Windows download (including 4.01.1 - 4.01.4 updates):
http://www.jonathansfox.com/lcs/lcs_win32_4.01.4.zip

Please note that 4.01.4 is not compatible with saves from 4.01.2 or earlier.

The source code used for the 4.01.4 release build is revision 396 on SVN. As always, you can check out the latest build from SVN using this address:

https://lcsgame.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lcsgame/trunk/

The file sitemaps.txt must be converted to Unix line endings prior to being usable on Linux or OS X, and it should be located in the art directory now.

Version 4.01.4:
+ Made crimes like murder follow the new non-reporting rules for actions against gangs and CCS.
+ Suppressed news stories for actions against gangs and CCS.
+ Stopped the game from forcing you to permanently freeze in place at the entrance to the Desert Eagle Bar & Grill when escaping from a siege.
+ Stopped you from outing sleepers aside from CCS safehouses. Unfortunately, the CCS code is not my cleanest logic. It's possible that this also stopped sleepers from being outed when you capture CCS safehouses, which would be a bug. I haven't tested this yet so let me know if there's a problem here.
+ Fixed a bug causing the CCS to rampage 80% of the time. Due to the aforementioned messy CCS code, even after testing and extensive code examination I'm still not sure if they're affecting public opinion correctly, but at least it will look less broken. As before, let me know if you notice anything odd going on.
+ Fixed cars subtracting funds when sold instead of adding them.
+ Adjusted balance on influencing the jury again, and loosened the results bell curve somewhat.
+ A couple amusing tweaks to the stealth and interrogation properties of the mask of Dick Cheney, courtesy of LiteralKa.

Version 4.01.3:
* Improved the fidelity of the end of month financial reports and the accuracy of the high score records.
* Made donations dependent on the public's interest in the LCS, so inactivity will result in diminishing returns even if you're popular.
* Made sleepers laying low very slowly gain infiltration.
* Made sleepers advocating liberalism stop getting whiny and quitting sleeperism.
* Altered the issues affected by different sleepers. Cultural sleepers now affect primarily cultural issues, like civil liberties and equal rights.
* Fixed a crash when you fight your way to freedom after being spotted stealing cars.
* Standard security guards can no longer spawn with .44 magnums.
* The massive conservative response at CCS safehouses is more CCS instead of police.
* Police gang units will beat you up if they tackle you during a foot chase.
* You no longer get charged with crimes for actions that are 1) At the crack houses, 2) Responding to a non-police attack on your safehouse, or 3) At CCS safe houses.
* Capped clothing pawn shop returns at $50 over the base manufacture cost.

Version 4.01.2:
* Fixed a bug where liberals would apply their best medical skills to revive nearby dead bodies.
* Fixed sleeper conservatives and moderates becoming permanent hostages instead of sleepers.
* Stopped firemen from sieging you continually.
* All non-police raids except the CCS and the CIA will temporarily stop raiding you after they succeed in a raid until you offend them again. The CCS will continue to raid you indiscriminately, and if you anger the CIA, they won't give up until you've been wiped out.
* Made enlightened liberals completely immune to wisdom-based attacks.
* Made seduced liberals immune to conversion from wisdom-based attacks (but not to stunning, juice loss, or wisdom gain).

Version 4.01.1:
* You can now make a stealth check to not get shot at when evading as soon as you encounter enemies.
* Nakedness isn't a disguise in public anymore.
* Your founder is slightly less likely to die in combat.
* Prostitution doesn't display daily updates.
* Encounters are much less common in apartments.
* Soliciting donations is more powerful.
* Strengthened the NPC guard dog's ability to detect thieves.
* Made the "term limits" amendment get proposed sooner when you're doing well.
* Made head shots less common, but factored your attack roll into your hit location. Awesome attackers are more likely to connect head and body shots.
* Made limb hits (and car hits) more rare in car chases.
* Made influencing the jury a more tight bell curve with the same base difficulty.
* Doubled the benefit in juice for influencing the jury but applied it only to the character that actually speaks instead of the whole party.
* Stripped away all weapons from the angry jury if you fail, so they just try to punch you to death instead of shooting and stabbing and punching you to death.
* Police will charge your party with theft for each stolen item they find in your inventory when you are arrested on site.
* Adjusted seduction formulae to be slightly more favorable to the player.
* Increased the armor piercing effectiveness for M16s, AK-47s, and M4s.
* Made the hospital heal liberals faster.
* Observe the future of LCS interface through the new sleeper prompt! Holy [Lord]!

Version 4.01:
* Reverted rampages to the older better system.
* Animals allowed to be naked in public.
* Gave you juice for stealing.
* Changed loot types for stealing.
* Made it much easier to get special items by stealing them from sites (so you can get sensitive and publishable documents by grabbing loot around the AM Radio station, for example).
* Expanded the benefits of cracking the CEO's safe significantly.
* You can release or even kill off unwanted Liberals from their profile in the review liberals screen.
* Increased the range of stuff you can acquire by hacking, and increased the heat generated by doing so.
* Made it easier to raid CCS safehouses.
* Police can subdue the squad if you're badly injured, but only common police will do this, not gang unit and swat types.
* Removed the "ask for a donation" option from the recruitment screen.
* Limited the number of people you can try to recruit at once.
* Made recruitment success more unpredictable.
* Made influencing the jury more unpredictable.
* Made the prosecution sometimes tougher in court.
* Weakened sleeper lawyers.
* Moved sitemaps.txt to the art directory -- linux will still have to run dos2unix on it, but it should be located reasonably at least.
* Added a unique hidden weapon to the game.
* Help system for activities implemented. Help text only exists for a few of the activism options so far, but the system supports others.
* Fixed a crash bug with car chase sequences after freeing liberals.
* Quite possibly stopped ALL crash bugs with hostages. Cross your fingers!
* Prevented interrogations on people who are away.
* Prevented threatening/shooting/releasing the dead corpses of your comrades in hostage negotiation.
* You will no longer be charged with murder during shootouts caused by musically converted conservatives.
* Purchasing a printing press no longer exits the upgrade screen.
* You can no longer publish the guardian through a ccs-controlled safehouse.
* Prevented your safehouses from getting shut down (and their upgrades lost) because of your actions.
* Check for game over before releasing liberal guardian special editions.
* Prevented liberals from riding in the ghosts of destroyed vehicles.
* Fixed issues flipping to L+.
* Fixed blank mural name for gun control.
* Fixed blank news stories.
* Fixed bug where specials can spawn in unrestricted areas when using the new map code.
* Made upgrades appear on owned crack houses.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:24:48 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.01 Download - It's Better Than The Last Release
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:15:36 pm »

[EDIT: These issues have been resolved and the download is fixed.]

Wait a second. There may be something horribly wrong with this release. I don't know what just happened, but I just started a game to cruise around and admire the scenery, and my guy started in a wheelchair, near death, with a slew of permanent injuries, and now he's hacking networks without my having told him to. What on earth is going on?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:31:52 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:19:44 pm »

Wait a second. There may be something horribly wrong with this release. I don't know what just happened, but I just started a game to cruise around and admire the scenery, and my guy started in a wheelchair, near death, with a slew of permanent injuries, and now he's hacking networks without my having told him to. What on earth is going on?

Well maybe you shouldn't have chosen the "I was abused as a child" option... they don't always end so well. (joke)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 01:22:44 pm »

That's the most awesome bug ever.
!!&!!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »

This is the most spectacular release implosion I've ever seen.

When I pick up stuff on site visits, I get head injuries:

- Grab loot. [Head now is cut.]
- Grab more loot. [Head now is cut, shot.]
- Grab more loot. [Head now is burned.]

It has to be some sort of horrible memory bug, but I honestly have no idea what is causing this. Normally this stuff only happens during save/load!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 01:26:42 pm »

What in the world!?! Did you release the cartoon version?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 01:27:47 pm »

You also start the game with one romantic interest, who is nowhere to be found.
!!&!!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 01:29:48 pm »

I finally died after my head was bruised, cut, torn, shot and bleeding, and that was during a chase sequence after I managed to fight off a police officer while incapacitated and in a wheelchair. My status was a dark green "face mutilated".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 01:30:24 pm »

You also start the game with one romantic interest, who is nowhere to be found.

Goodness that would be an awsome feature. Too bad there is no way to fit that in officially...

No "Long Lost Loves" possible ohh well :P
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:32:40 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 01:33:22 pm »

* Animals allowed to be naked in public.
I noticed this glitch and found it funny when a Canine Hero was caught by a Guard Dog for being naked :D.

* Made recruitment success more unpredictable.
By the end of my last game Marion was getting conservatives recruited on the first day, so...

* Added a unique hidden weapon to the game.
Hmm... what could it be?

* Prevented threatening/shooting/releasing the dead corpses of your comrades in hostage negotiation.
Why did this make me laugh so much?

Oh, and does it still work with badly injured comrades?

* You can no longer publish the guardian through a ccs-controlled safehouse.
Wha!?

* Check for game over before releasing liberal guardian special editions.
It probably also needs a check for "No people writing".  I could publish mine even when all my journalists were elsewhere.

Can I also say that the new bugs for the release sound hilarious, and I will totally be playing it anyway?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 01:39:44 pm »

It's kind of impossible. The memory issue means everything you do causes something entirely unrelated to happen.
!!&!!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:43:35 pm »

I haven't seen it crash once so far, but I'm no closer to tracking down the root cause of the problems. I am completely baffled.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 01:46:56 pm »

Wow, heads ripped off.  Weird.  Doesn't seem to be affecting gameplay much though...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »

I'm pretty close to isolating the line of code that is causing problems.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:29:01 pm »

So, after much examination, I have determined that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the code and it's all Microsoft's fault for compiling it wrong. I've clubbed visual studio and told it to straighten up, and things seem to be working correctly now.

Now then, please download it again and enjoy this BETTER release.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34