Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Another Display Request

(1/1)

rylen:
I've been reading "The Design of Everyday Things."  The book lives up to its repuatation.   It led to me thinking what details do I reguarly check on and could they be displayed directly.I spend a decent amount of time checking if a workshop or construction is active, if something is being hauled away, and to a lesser degree is there is clutter.We already get regular information about dwarf status by flashing, colored, down-arrow.  For example, down-blue means the dwarf is thirsty.If workshops and construction sites had similar details, we wouldn't need to check on them.I suggest implmenting in a similar fashion to  dwarf-status.Clutter has a known color scheme.  I can't find it in ascii, but there is a left-right arrow ( <--> ) which relates to lots of stuff for me.  Alternately, © could mean clutter.  As clutter increases, the symbol changes color to reflect degree.I don't see an obvious symbol for active w/ worker not present.  The yen (¥) and double dagger (‡) are both pretty and not used in the game.  Choose one and have it flash when something is active.  For extra information, vary the color from a dark grey to bright white (or even change colors like clutter) to indicate the number of haulings active and length of the build queue.Please note, I'm not interested in all hauling and manufacture jobs on the jobs page, just those with dwarves working them.I got the ascii codes for here:  http://www.hypergurl.com/asciisymbols.html   If anyone has a more complete table, let me know.Rylen

Eiba:
quote:The yen (¥) and double dagger (‡) are both pretty and not used in the game.
A white yen is a cave lobster...The game doesn't actually use ASCII, but graphics that look like ASCII. To see what all there is, go to your Dwarf Fortress folder, data, art, and look at the files in there.
I don't particularly like the idea of flashing workshops... I personally have no problem with just using Q...
It might be helpful though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version