Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rocket Wagon: A Clue  (Read 1820 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Rocket Wagon: A Clue
« on: December 11, 2009, 07:22:31 am »

I just encountered the rocket wagon bug, but this time I noticed something very interesting which may help figuring the thing out.

When the wagon entered the map, it was moving at a normal speed - it wasn't until it got halfway to the depot that it shot ahead and reached its destination at lightning speed.

There are two possibilities I see.  First, whatever broke the wagon speed happened some time after its arrival.  The second possibility is simply that it was slow at first when it was trying to get past the first wagon, and only reached lightspeed once it managed to pass.

To tell the truth, I suspect the second now that I think of it.  This would also be consistant with causing the slow wagon bug - whatever variable is holding the wagon's speed is sometimes not being set properly.  This is consistant with the fact that it unloaded its goods nearly instantaneously.  It might also be possible that other values for the wagon are uninitialized - let's see what the max weight they accept is...

[EDIT] The allowed weight seems to be reasonable [/EDIT]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:24:57 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocket Wagon: A Clue
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 08:22:10 am »

Only thing though is that not everybody observes the wagon train all the time. Still, I've had glacially slow wagons along with a rocket wagon, but not always.

For a while, I suspected that there was a pathing problem because in one fort where I got a slow wagon almost every time (man, that one was frustrating) and there were lots of boulders. So I thought the boulders were causing some wierd pathing issue. So I tried to create a path, and even a road, but the glacially slow wagons still came.

Your second possibility is likely because the glacially slow wagon often creates a traffic jam of one or more wagons behind it when there isn't much or any room to go around it. When I get the rocket wagon, I think it may be the first to appear or something because I get the 'merchants have arrived and are unloading' message almost immedeatly after they arrive on the map.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 04:35:29 am »

Well, my map was an open desert, with very little in the way of obstacles for the wagons to get stuck up on.  There were only two wagons (this was my very first caravan for that fort), and it looked possible that the rocket wagon may have slowly tried to cross over on top of the other wagon.  In this case, it's also a bug, since wagons really shouldn't be crawling over each other or lying down to let other wagons pass. ::)

I might note that even the slow wagon was faster than the pack mules...
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 03:20:26 pm »

I believe that the cause of "glacial" wagons was determined to be weight. Wagons are technically creatures, and thus have encumbrance, so if a wagon is carrying 6 anvils and all the stone blocks, it will be crawling towards the depot. Not sure if this is the problem you're observing though - the lightspeed wagon may have only a few goods on it (filled with the last overflow from the previous wagon), so it went to plaid as soon as it passed the wagon in front of it.

Another possibility is that the wagon managed to acquire ranks in Agility (somehow ???)
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 04:01:49 pm »

One easy way to test the "slow wagons are just overloaded" theory is to seize the entire caravan (in an alternate save, of course), thus ensuring that the wagons are carrying nothing when they leave - I suspect you'll find that they still move just as slowly as before.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:42:34 pm »

I can't help but wonder if it's related somehow to the animal pulling the wagon. ???
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.