Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions  (Read 17356 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:37:30 am »

Has anyone made a fortress entirely based on an existing piece of architecture - or even a mythological piece of architecture, like The Tower of Babel?

At the moment, I'm tempted to try and reconstruct a building of some sort, but I'm not sure what to pick (And the aforementioned tower is ridiculously tall and ridiculously poorly explained; it could be anywhere between 200 metres and 8 kilometres tall, and just as wide!)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:45:17 am »

To call the Tower of Babel mythological is a bit of a misnomer, it's legendary but certainly a reference to a real event. This is confirmed by many separate extant references from many cultures (so far as evidence can confirm any historical event or physicality).

To get off my soap box and back into topic, I've never heard of such a thing. Personally, I thought about doing the Colossus of Rhodes, but after a desultory search for a proper location I wimped out. Just not interested enough; more interested in the technicalities of my big-arse "permanently empty the magma pipe!!" operation.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 10:51:25 am »

*Knows crap-all about historical architecture* ^^; Sorry if I got it wrong.

I might try something like that colossus! It'd be funny if a bronze colossus turned up to greet his immovable friend.

OH! I might even make a giant statue WITH ROOM INSIDE FOR MY DWARVES. A giant statue with dwarves living inside~ Oh gods, Architect. You've flooded me with ideas.

I think I'm going to make a giant mecha. Even if it won't move, I'm damn well gonna make one. And everyone will live inside it, and it will have magma cannons and a control room and and and and *collapses*
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:23:21 am »

When I start brainstorming a new fortress design, I like to base my overall design on historical buildings - for example, I was considering building a mosque, primarily based on the Eyüp Sultan Mosque in Istanbul for a while, and studied the layout and style quite a bit, but never ended up getting around to it. I've definitely increased my interest in architecture since first getting into DF. In terms of actually replicating existing constructions, though, I haven't and probably won't get into that.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 12:15:40 pm »

It's been my intention for quite some time to recreate the 1983 horror film The Keep if that counts, utilising some sort of clown and quite a lot of nickel.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:18:46 pm »

I had a look at the wiki page for it ( Haven't seen the movie myself ^^; ), it looks pretty cool, OwlBread!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 01:21:36 pm »

I had a look at the wiki page for it ( Haven't seen the movie myself ^^; ), it looks pretty cool, OwlBread!

Thank you very much. However, as a result of my own inexperience, I may have to cut corners in some ways due to the fact that I have yet to find adamantine in any fortress and the crosses imbedded on the walls may have to be something like a circle or a boat, depending on the dwarf in question. Now that I think of it, is it even possible to decorate walls? I thought that could only be for things like beds, coffins and mugs.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 01:48:15 pm »

Smoothed walls can be engraved :3 They can also be carved into fortification!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:08:00 pm »

Thank you very much. However, as a result of my own inexperience, I may have to cut corners in some ways due to the fact that I have yet to find adamantine in any fortress and the crosses imbedded on the walls may have to be something like a circle or a boat, depending on the dwarf in question. Now that I think of it, is it even possible to decorate walls? I thought that could only be for things like beds, coffins and mugs.

You can delete all symbols except crosses from the symbol file.

Although the dwarves will still engrave things like "The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves"...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:19:52 pm »

I thank you for your offer of service. You must now construct a trojan horse. That is - embark at a beach, live in small tentlike hovels, maintain a large military of spear/shield armed dorfs. All weapons are to be made of bronze. Then harvest wood. Lots and lots of it. DON'T MINE! Don't start building until you have enough, then build a giant wooden horse with barrack inside. Station all your troops in the barracks and leave your outpost manager outside, to negotiate with the local populace. If a siege occurs, pour out the troops.

Now go, make Oddyseus proud!
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 03:24:36 pm »

I thank you for your offer of service. You must now construct a trojan horse. That is - embark at a beach, live in small tentlike hovels, maintain a large military of spear/shield armed dorfs. All weapons are to be made of bronze. Then harvest wood. Lots and lots of it. DON'T MINE! Don't start building until you have enough, then build a giant wooden horse with barrack inside. Station all your troops in the barracks and leave your outpost manager outside, to negotiate with the local populace. If a siege occurs, pour out the troops.

Now go, make Oddyseus proud!

This is Brilliant - though I ain't going to try it in the near future. Where is the bronze going to come from without mining?  I think you should allow yourself a pit mine, but don't dig any housing.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 04:23:10 pm »

Whoah, let's go back to that wiki page for a moment.

It's called the Confusion of Tongues. Seriously, that's what the wiki says. "This is a finely engraved picture of a human and humans. The human is surrounded by the humans."

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 04:28:02 pm »

I've always wanted to recreate The Labyrinth's goblin city, complete with a pointless obsidian cast maze, oubliettes, and a gigantic furniture and refuse stockpile outside the front gates...

Perhaps capture alot of goblins, cage them, abandon, and explore with a female human adventurer?

But how am I supposed to capture Bowie's godlike powers in ascii form?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 08:24:01 pm »

Tower of Babel... Does this count?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 08:58:51 pm »

No, needs to be- WAH HOLY SHIT HOW MANY Z LEVELS IS THAT LITTLE SPOT TOP RIGHT TO THE HIGHEST POINT ON YOUR MAP?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8