Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions  (Read 17357 times)

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2009, 05:18:13 am »

I would love yo reproduce the Citadel from the Half Life series surronded by small homes and workshops.

In fact, im inspired to create a fortress on fictional buildings

as soon as my new laptop comes in...

imagine building black mesa, now thats a both interesting and hard project

Either that or Aperture Science.

Do it.

Do it for Science.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2009, 07:57:36 am »

aperture science actually would be a lot harder, and boring, while its certainly much more awesome, you need to think in how the foress will look like, there isnt much to do, we dont get to know much about aperture science, all we see are some of the experimenting rooms and some area here and there, but in the end there is not much to know

black mesa on the other hand is the whole game, so we get to know a lot about how its made.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2009, 03:06:57 pm »

I'm quite convinced, that black mesa can't be recreated with mere 3 dimensions. I have no proof, but it seems some tunnels should overlap.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2009, 07:55:44 am »

I'm quite convinced, that black mesa can't be recreated with mere 3 dimensions. I have no proof, but it seems some tunnels should overlap.

true, not to mention its going to take really long, either way its supposed to be based on, not exactly black mesa...
i think the biggest problem about it is the tunels, the whole thing is comunicated via these tunels and is filled with platforms over large pits, and large pits are pretty hard to make too...

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2010, 03:16:16 am »

true, not to mention its going to take really long, either way its supposed to be based on, not exactly black mesa...
i think the biggest problem about it is the tunels, the whole thing is comunicated via these tunels and is filled with platforms over large pits, and large pits are pretty hard to make too...

I believe I ran the topography of Black mesa, once (I need to do so again), and determined that it was actually okay, in terms of dimentional continuity, but I do not believe there is an embark area large enough...
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2010, 03:51:42 am »

I've sketched out a plan for doing the Forbidden City in a reasonably accurate scale, in that it's not wildly off. Was waiting for the new version for that. I could do it accurately, but I'd need an insanely large embark, like 11x8 or something like that. Considering the number of dwarves I'd need to build it, it'd lag like mad, but I might give it a whirl anyway. Finding a suitable site could be wicked hard, though.

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2010, 04:33:21 am »

OH! I might even make a giant statue WITH ROOM INSIDE FOR MY DWARVES. A giant statue with dwarves living inside~ Oh gods, Architect. You've flooded me with ideas.

That just begs for a big, giant horse.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2010, 06:03:12 pm »

Problem is, you can't have wheels or whatnot to wheel it into Troy.
However it would still be epic and I salute the brave sir who attempts this.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]