Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Occam's Razor: Dwarven Magic

<< < (8/8)

Mikademus:
quote:Originally posted by Silverionmox:
<STRONG>    quote:Originally posted by Othob Rithol:
   "Engraving each and every weapon to boost its damage, and every armor piece to make it better sounds like a good add-in."Excuse me, that sounds horrible.Magic shouldn't be some form of science and mechanics. If science is universal, predictable and repeatable then magic should be personal, capricious and unique.
</STRONG>I don't think that was what he meant. You can engrave every single one of your items, but the outcome of the engraving would not be precise, predetermined, scientific, or mass-producable. On the other hand, any engraved item would be worth more than non-engraved, in that more work has gone into it, and their aesthetic value has increased. Dwarvish ethno is in, yua know.

Mikademus:
In answer to the replies regarding racial predilections and freedom of choice, I'd like to elaborate a bit on dwarfish priests rather than mages. AD&D handles this quite well. Different species are the creations of different gods, and are as such essentially different. All Dwarves, pious or not, worshipping other gods or not, are followers of their creator (Eizxwzxhxz something or other, lots of z's and other fantasy letters, the god with dominion over stone and earth and wuznot). Having different essential supernatural proclivities does affect races' dispositions, aptitudes and starting options. They are still free to go in different directions, but it would take much work and investment.Thus, Dwarves could build different shrines which would influence the kind of magic "produced". (These dwarves could perhaps be recruited into the guard or into squads). However, Dwarves do not start with the option to build Wizard Towers (mage academies), Necrodomes, Summoning Chambers or Woodweaver Choir Huts, which humans, goblins or elves do. Could they build them? Perhaps they can negotiate with the other races, or offer incitaments for one of them to immigrate. Be nice to trees and you might get an elf Woodsinger. Kiss human ass and get a Wizard. Or discover that ancient scroll or get a morbid mood (perhaps in a haunted region?) and your architect converts a graveyard or tomb to a Necrodome or carves out a summoning chamber.

Kaelem Gaen:
I think I like the Runic Magic, along with the "But they can learn how to cast."On a side note, When I see mention of Runic magic, my mind instantly goes to the Runelord Series.   They get these brands with various runes on them (Will, Glamor, Metabolism.. so on and so forth.) but it is a two person gig, for these runes to work on the rune lords, they need to gather said attributes from someone else, who then loses it (Completely, though if they die when you remove the att, you lose the effect of it.)Anyways, I also like the Alchemy thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version