Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

A new skill : Prospection?

<< < (2/2)

Sean Mirrsen:
No, I'm of the opinion that you should, at least, be able to tell the type of stone some 3 tiles deep. It's not 3 levels deep, just three-four tiles away, at most 2 levels deep. A special skill should be used for that. And it should use designations akin to smoothing stone, except that it would be applicable to any reachable surface. The prospector would run up, and loiter at the spot for a while, tapping at available surfaces and listening for what the rock tells. Then you would get a "memory sight" of the rock, grayed out, telling you the type of rock. You should see the ores and gems by the symbol, as well as different stone layers, but not what specifically is there - since you can't see there, looking will yield "unmined space" only.

Draco18s:
I'd like to see some implementation of this, though I'm not sure what I'd like to see.  I'm sure whatever Toady does will be perfect.

InquisitiveIdiot:
I think a Prospector would make a great immigrating noble, kind of the mining equivalent of house Fer/Ber/Rash.  In other words, your fortress is so well known for its mining that you've attracted someone who can friggin' smell useful minerals through solid stone.  You'll want to hold on to him.Functionally, I'd like to see prospectors follow miners at random, exposing a few more squares of stone in the current level as well as those above/below, as if you'd dug out lines of down stairways.

THLawrence:
I believe there was a previous suggestion like this with the prospector allowing your to see one tile farther. Even seeing one additional tile could be useful.

McDoomhammer:
quote: I think a Prospector would make a great immigrating noble, kind of the mining equivalent of house Fer/Ber/Rash. In other words, your fortress is so well known for its mining that you've attracted someone who can friggin' smell useful minerals through solid stone. You'll want to hold on to him.Functionally, I'd like to see prospectors follow miners at random, exposing a few more squares of stone in the current level as well as those above/below, as if you'd dug out lines of down stairways.  That I like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version