Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Writen chaos.Moved  (Read 2000 times)

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Writen chaos.Moved
« on: December 12, 2009, 03:56:40 am »

I really think I have something unique...

Spoiler: A poem...I think... (click to show/hide)

Its in the right format, so read as is...

Spoiler: explaination of sorts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:56:09 am by Hungry »
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Writen chaos.Moved
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:39:12 am »

I find that extremely hard to read, and the metaphors (scar of light, strength of eye?) are annoying. Also, spelling mistakes.

This might be better suited to Creative Projects than Life Advice.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:40:51 am by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 03:12:43 pm »

what is this word salad. It reads like alphabet soup.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 03:17:25 pm »

JUST how HIGH do you even have to BE to DO something like that....................
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:34:16 pm »

Looking at the negative gives me an awesome dungeon map for my DnD campaign.

Just have to add in more pointless dead ends.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 06:03:07 pm »

No offense, but it sounds like the lyrics to a dragonforce song.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 12:31:42 am »

I would add a explaination to it, but it would take longer than it took to write the damned thing...

Posted explaination...if it dont help nothing can.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:56:45 am by Hungry »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 09:30:20 am »

Nothing can.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:48:42 am »

You somehow made it even more painful.
I am impressed.

I feel the urge to never type the word crim...
Never mind.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 03:40:00 pm »

Too true the pain caused pattern of mine mind forced though sight upon the page...

...of the force of will...

...until the words fall...

(and to say this is how I think, would be too plain)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 12:59:52 am »

Question: What, in particular, do you consider unique about this piece?  Is it the incomprehensibility and enormously run-on sentences?  Look no farther than James Joyce and Faulkner.  Perhaps it is the diction and imagery, which is common to 13-year-old girls everywhere (take a gander at Fanfiction.net and tell me they don't use similar word choice).

Maybe it's the lack of planning for your poem.  Maybe it's the lack of decipherable meaning.  Maybe it's your odd obsession with ellipses, or with your own uniqueness, or with the concept of Pain.

All those subjects have been covered in depth before, by both better and worse men by you.

Neither incomprehensibility nor punctuation abuses can make you great.  Your pedestrian imagery and poor diction--as well as the distinct lack of any sort of rhyme, meter, or flow--are unattractive.  Further, your translations of each phrase do not mean that the poem has meaning.  Perhaps each word attaches to a certain concept, but the whole appears both meaningless and unreadable.

That said, people write for a reason.  If writing makes you feel better about life, then write away.  Everything you write thus will be good, since it has meaning to humanity (i.e. you).  It does not, however, mean that it is good in a broader sense.  Your piece is not well-written.  I would likely have been ashamed to turn it in in elementary school--though believe me, I have written my share of horrors.  I, however, tend to keep them in my notebook where they belong.

I am sorry if you feel that I have been needlessly harsh, but your opening post (and subsequent statements) seemed to request opinions on the uniqueness of your piece.  Please keep on writing; far be it for me to dissuade you.  You are likely quite capable of creating unusual and unique work.  That said, this poem is neither.  I hope to make a statement to the contrary in the future.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 02:10:07 am »

Thank you Vector,

The cause for the uniqueness, that I mean, is that all the pain in reading this, from the annoying ellipses, to the concept of decribed pain, and unmeaning drag-on sentence of horror, even the lack of meaning to this writing through mixed and confusing dictation and imagery were all planned to create the conglomorate of badly writen words.

You seem to have gotten the cause of meaninglessness and pain that I intended, expecially with the translations of nonsense, but unfortunetly it seems not the desired effect of confusion, anger, or wearyness...although the rest surely got that, but probably not together.

Thank you again, I really was worried no one would critic this the way I required.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 02:59:19 am »

Thank you Vector,

The cause for the uniqueness, that I mean, is that all the pain in reading this, from the annoying ellipses, to the concept of decribed pain, and unmeaning drag-on sentence of horror, even the lack of meaning to this writing through mixed and confusing dictation and imagery were all planned to create the conglomorate of badly writen words.

You seem to have gotten the cause of meaninglessness and pain that I intended, expecially with the translations of nonsense, but unfortunetly it seems not the desired effect of confusion, anger, or wearyness...although the rest surely got that, but probably not together.

Thank you again, I really was worried no one would critic this the way I required.

Oh.  That was intentionally shit?  No wonder, it's modern art in that case.

I am actually pleasantly surprised, to be honest.  I was worried that I was being too offensive.  As far as the "confusion, anger, and weariness" goes, I think I'm largely inured to that by now by virtue of having read so much horrible writing.  I honestly didn't read the entire thing, because if I had actually tried to understand what you were saying I probably would have gone quite mad.

This is astoundingly well-played.  Your overall setup was very good, though I think you might want to experiment a little with length/diction.  There's a certain level of horrible that makes people stop reading prematurely (or just skip around, which is what I did), whereas other sorts can compel people to read to the end and then say "WHY IN THE HELL DID I READ THIS CONFUSING PILE OF CRAP?!?!?"

The truth, however, is that I don't think you'll be able to invoke "weariness" without cleaning up the work a little.  Forming little eddies of coherence should serve to pull the reader along, though at the end you can do a quick descent into your current style.  Anger and confusion shouldn't be hard, though, especially with your "explanation."

Just a thought, in case you decide to inflict this on other people  >:D

I'll also admit that this made me burst out laughing:

"(a missing word to none to listen)uninteligible giberish"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 03:08:52 am »

Yes, I have been getting trouble with streaking coherence properly into it, like putting a circle of blue in a work of modern art, it doesn't sit right.

Also, I was happy to see you wanted to offend some but still not seem whole scale antagonistic.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 04:13:42 am »

I wrote this song about a false girl. It's not very good. And it's definitely not unique. So I'm not going to post it. 90% of songs is framing anyways.
Pages: [1] 2